Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > General Message Board
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: Stockholm
Default sailpup opensource navi

Hello, anyone interested in sharing information re cruising using opensource software for sailors?

At Puppy Linux Community Home - Getting Started I found a discussion forum on sailpup Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - sailpup

Also a post dated Sep/2008 found at the afore mentioned link: "With your sailpup I managed to browse Brazilian coast raster charts using openCPN. By the way these charts are free to download here:

https://www.mar.mil.br/dhn/chm/carta...s_Internet.htm

Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

I have been using OpenCPN on Ubuntu (not Puppy) for years. It just keeps getting better and better. I switched away from more expensive commercial software some time back, OpenCPN just does the job better and has all of the features I want.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Delatbabel, thanks for the good news sounds very reasurring. Please, let me kown which version of Ubuntu you run OpenCPN on and on what sort of computer (?) ie how's it all setup? Do you cruise around the world using OpenCPN? Wonder if and what the negative sides are that one must take into account ie be aware of? //Joe
Old 07-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #4

I run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on one laptop and 13.04 on another. The 12.04 laptop also gets used for work so it needs to be a stable version. The other laptop only gets used for navigation and is a Panasonic toughbook which I purchased second hand off eBay -- wouldn't rely on any other type of laptop at sea. Like everything else electronic, the downside is that it might break down one day. Regular servicing and all that is required.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Lieutenant

Hi D thankyou for yr knowledgeable reply. I didn't know about Panasonic toughbook. Wonder if its used by the navy, commercial fishermen etc? Just how many years / hours has this configuration worked for you? Re downside yr right cpu's not reliable backup vital
Old 07-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #6

A lot of ocean sailors, racers, etc, use them around here. Australia has a lot of mining companies who buy them, use them for 2-3 years and then sell them off or return them end of lease to upgrade to a newer model. They are pretty rugged and reliable, and can often be found on eBay reasonably cheap. I've used it across the tasman, up and down the coast, but I know sailors who have gone around the world with one or two. A lot of Sydney-Hobart boats use them, so they have a pretty good reputation.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Lieutenant

Thankyou, re your description the toughbook definitely deemed worth having a look around after up here.