Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > Pets, Children & Guests
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-07-2006, 04:50 AM   #1
Ensign

Default does anyone sail with their dog?

I am curious, does anyone here sail with their dog? Have you gone long distance? Can you tell me the pro's and con's?

Old 10-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #2
Ensign

I guess I should elaborate on the pet issue. My dog, actually is not a dog he is an artic wolf. He weighs 125 lbs. He is the sweetest friend you could meet. He is very quiet and gentle. Since he was born he has always been like the old sage. I have had him since the day he was born and he is 11 years old.

I have avoided travel because I don't like leaving him. I have no family and the one time I left him in the care of a professional kennel, he was abused.

I don't want to put him on an airplane because I think that he being in the cargo of a passenger airplane could kill him, especially long distances.

My father was the captain of a tug boat so I grew up on the ocean. I surfed, and spent lots of time in the sea. My father had a sail boat and we sailed a lot.

It has been 10 years since I sailed last, but am seriously thinking of buying a 2002 44ft Bavaria sailboat. I have a few friends with their captians license who will be willing to sail long enought with me till I can get a captains license.

I have taken Mouse sailing a few times and he seems to like it, but I have not taken him on an extended trip.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Ensign

artic wolf?

great scott!!!

try this link soon...there is a pet feature right now, otherwise look in the old forums at this same site...you'll find plenty:

www.livingaboard.com

i don't know what the stairs are like goin down into the cabin on a 44' bavaria, all things depending, you may have to do some custom stairwork in case the stairs are too steep for you wolf to traverse.

i am doing the same thing (tweaking the stairs) for one of my 2 golden retrievers who just can't seem to manage the steep stairs on my 41' Formosa.

fair winds,

max

Duluth, MN

lostpearl.blogspot.com
max mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Ensign

Hi Max,

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the article a lot. Some good tips too. Yes, you are probably right about the stairs. That is nice that you are going out of your way like that for your retrievers, they are such nice dogs. I will more than likely have the same thing done. Mouse (my wolf) is getting old and his hind legs are getting weak.

I had a friend Diesel Don, I use to sail with in Guam. He was about 82 years old, and he had sea legs. When he was docked Don would moan and complain all the time about the pain in his legs , but when he was sailing he walked around the boat like a young whipper snapper, with the stereo full blast playing Guy Lombardo. :-) I am hoping Mouse will feel better while sailing too.

Thanks again,

Jeani
Old 10-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #5
Ensign

By the way Max. I really like the 2003 &04 Formosa's, they look like they can go pretty fast. I like to take my time most the time, but sometimes it is just really nice to go fast, the sound and the feeling is ......beautiful.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
Ensign

Jeani,

I was not aware the Formosa yard was still operating.

Where could i find a website or pics of the new formosa's?

mine is old...1979...built heavy~ full 6' keel at 28,000 lbs....so not fast...but seakindly

not that i could buy a new boat but it would be curious to see new models for sure.

thanks,

max

Duluth, MN

lostpearl.blogspot.com
max mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:38 AM   #7
Ensign

Hi Max,

I cannot remember what website I was at, but I was sure I looked at 2000 and up Formosa's now I searched the net and cannot find one. I have to take care of something right now, but will look again later and let you know. [:I]

Jeani
Old 10-11-2006, 07:15 AM   #8
Ensign

Hi again Max,

I could only find a 1980 Formosa. Here is the link http://www.sailingtexas.com/sformosa43a.html it looks somewhat like the ones I was looking at the other day. If anyone else knows if they made 2002 - 2003 Formosa's please reply.

Thanks,

Jeani