Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Dogs Aboard

Hi,

We are hoping to do the Atlantic Circuit and want to include our beloved dog in this adventure. Are there any intrepid dog lovers out there who have done this? We are based in the UK so would be grateful for advice (apart from "don't do it!") re his being allowed on foreign land and back into the UK.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Admiral

Though I haven't experience with this, and am not particularly enthusiastic about cruising with a dog, there certainly are a lot of cruisers who do take them.

Your best source of information would be the official policies of each of the countries that you expect to visit to be sure that you have the correct immunizations and documents proving such. I believe that there are significant requirements just to bring your dog from the UK to France or other EU countries, so they might be the first places to check. The US or Canada would be the second more restrictive, I believe.

A few areas to be prepared for. The Caribbean islands, in general, have little in the way of restrictions or veterinary services. You will have to be careful about hookworm, traditionally a subtropical and tropical parasite, and heartworm. There might be others, and mange is a real problem in the stray dogs I've seen in the Caribbean.

That is the extent of my knowledge, and I am sure that it is not sufficient to protect your dog, so please do as much research as possible for your own benefit.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks JeanneP,

We regularly take him to France so have all the requisite shots and documentation. Thanks for your advice re parasites etc, we will have to look further into it with the vet. Thanks for the reply.

Shelley
Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Ensign

Only a short trip but I am about to take my yacht from Portugal (Algarve) to Brest (France). I am taking our young Jack Russell which has the UK Pet passport and is microchiped. Do you know what the formaities are for taking him from Portugal to Spain and then on to France?

The plan then is for the first mate to take him home with her on the ferry from Roscoff to Plymouth which is OK I believe for getting back into the UK
Old 03-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #5
Admiral

A dog that was specifically bred for a boating life is the Schipperke (pronounced Skipper Key)

only about 12in tall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schipperke_on_board.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	362

Description :

The Schipperke was bred in Flanders by a canal boat captain named Renssens. Thought to be descended from the same sheep-herding stock as the black Belgian Sheepdog, the Schipperke was bred smaller and smaller and eventually became a different breed entirely. It became a favorite choice to guard canal barges in Belgium. In Flemish Schipperke means "Little Skipper", or "Little Captain". This being so, because the dogs were the "ratters", a very important function on a canal barge, and also usually the captain's dog. Hence, the name of the little skipper. The breed became very popular in Belgian households by the late 1800's. It first appeared at a dog show in 1880. From that point on it was exported throughout the world. Today he serves primarily as a companion dog. The Schipperke do very well on boats and people often get this breed to come along with them on boating and fishing trips. It makes a great guard dog when the boat anchors for the night, alerting of anything out of the ordinary and the dog thoroughly enjoys its trip.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwanseaJack View Post
Only a short trip but I am about to take my yacht from Portugal (Algarve) to Brest (France). I am taking our young Jack Russell which has the UK Pet passport and is microchiped. Do you know what the formaities are for taking him from Portugal to Spain and then on to France?

The plan then is for the first mate to take him home with her on the ferry from Roscoff to Plymouth which is OK I believe for getting back into the UK
The last time I drove from Portugal to France via Spain there were no customs/immigration border posts that were manned (deserted) I guess that restrictions on the movement of domestic livestock are instituted when there are outbreaks of diseases like foot and mouth - these being served locally. The only disease that I can think of that Europe may consider issuing controls for would be rabies, so make sure the dog has it's certificates.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
Admiral

I am certainly no expert on the control of pets transiting European countries but I do know a bit about border control in Europe.

Firstly, the UK is not a so called "Schengen" country so immigration control is the order of the day even when arriving by boat from mainland Europe. The control may be lax but it is there and you can be checked.

Regarding sailing between Schengen countries be aware that the situation is not the same as driving between Schengen states. In the Schengen agreement, the sea is considered an external border. After all, who can say that an arriving vessel has come from another Schengen country or not and even if it has there is the question as whether or not that vessel has had contact with another vessel (from a non Schengen country) at sea. The exception to this is ferries running on scheduled sailings.

The above I am sure about. What I believe, and there is an element of doubt here, is that dogs being moved from one Schengen state to another or to the UK are not subject to compulsory checks provided they cross internal land borders or depart from and arrive to another Schengen state or the UK provided they are on a scheduled ferry, aircraft or the channel tunnel. They do need to have the European Pet Passport though.

To be safe, check this with the competent authorities.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Ensign

I too am thinking about sailing with a dog.

What about the practical aspects of having a dog onboard?

Do dogs get sea sick? If so how is this treated in canines?

Train them to potty only in on spot on deck? Train them to potty in a box?

We already have a doggy lifevest (he loves swimming).

Anything else that should be considered?

Click image for larger version

Name:	sugarhat2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	666
Old 12-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #9
Ensign

Just make sure to take the equipment to cut their nails so they don't go scratching the boat.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:53 AM   #10

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyspanker View Post
Just make sure to take the equipment to cut their nails so they don't go scratching the boat.
Ha

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote