Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/)
-   The Tavern | Welcome Aboard (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f27/)
-   -   Hello from South Africa! (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f27/hello-from-south-africa-10533.html)

Rudix 12-16-2021 02:14 PM

Hello from South Africa!

Hi everyone!

I just joined here, seems like a nice community with lots of interesting posts.

I am looking at returning to cruising after a 21 year break! Back then I "swallowed the anchor" due to family pressure, health issues (back problem) and finances in 2000. I sold my yacht and restarted my career getting stuck into other hobbies like building/flying 3 different airplanes.

Now, 21 years later I am recently retired, my back is fixed, family pressures are gone and I have some "spare" money so I am looking at acquiring a yacht again.

Initially I just want to do some local sailing around Knysna and up and down the coast here in South Africa but extending into the Indian ocean would be a logical option and after that who knows.......

This time I am not planning on selling everything and I will keep my house and vehicles as a "home port" to return to if I feel like it even if it is only for short periods.

We will be 2 people and 3 cats! Size of yacht has not been decided but I want something comfortable and maybe not too large, I want a yacht that can be sailed single handed if needed by a "not so young anymore" person. I have started looking around, hopefully the right yacht will be found soon.

So thanks in advance for advice and information that will make my "return" easier!

frimi_captain 01-05-2022 01:39 AM

Good boat maybe

There is a Farr Munn for sale in Cape Town that might fit your requirements.

What are you willing to spend.

How far outside are you planning to go?

Fair Winds, Regards Tom Bodine