Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/)
-   The Poop Deck (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Hf Radio Up And Working...finally! (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f16/hf-radio-up-and-working-finally-1758.html)

Trim50 03-26-2008 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First off I want to thank Richard a.k.a. MMNETSEA for his guidance and help finding a good rig without busting the bank account. If you are new to HAM, selecting the right rig can be overwhelming when you have no idea as to what is good for your needs and ability. On Richard’s suggestion I purchased a Kenwood TS 480SAT 100Watt HF system. I was able to find a new one for $815US. This unit has the separate control face plate and transceiver much like the Icom M802 which works quite well in my nav station. The Kenwood TS 480SAT seems to have all the functionality that a mariner needs once the Marine SSB channels are opened up. In comparison to the Icom M802 at $1800 to $2400us, The Kenwood makes perfect sense for the first time HAM operator.

Attachment 374

After spending several weeks getting the antenna, ground and coupler situation worked out, I was finally able to spend several hours last night speaking for the first time on several frequencies and everyone said my signal was coming through load and clear.

Lighthouse 03-26-2008 04:42 PM

Well done Trim50. It is good that you did the installation yourself so you know where to look if something is not right. May you have many years of good use of the rig.

Trim50 03-26-2008 06:09 PM

The install was a lot of work. Lori took part and helped by crawling into the small spaces to do soldering of wires where I couldn't fit. She is really taking to this boat thing quite well.

MMNETSEA 03-27-2008 01:01 AM

Great News !!!

Hope you both get great enjoyment out of HF - Lori has just added another badge to her Sea Scouts jacket - ""Climbing into small spaces, upside down - microlite in teeth - soldering gun, solder - wires - (cannot swear because of microlite!) ""

Ken, I guess you know of the 3M Rubber Splicing Tape for electrical joints? About the 10th of the price of the Self Amalgamating Rubber Tape sold in chandlers. Once the 3M has been in place for a few days all the windings consolidate into a single mass - completely sealing out moisture etc - inside/outside, for years to come.

Richard

Trim50 03-27-2008 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMNETSEA (Post 19360)
Ken, I guess you know of the 3M Rubber Splicing Tape for electrical joints? About the 10th of the price of the Self Amalgamating Rubber Tape sold in chandlers. Once the 3M has been in place for a few days all the windings consolidate into a single mass - completely sealing out moisture etc - inside/outside, for years to come.

Richard

Nope, but I will look for it. 3M always has some great products.

The counterpoise ended-up being very simple after trying to bond the water tanks which didn't work very well. The best results came from a simple hose clamp holding the ground cables to a bronze thru-hull!

Richard, once again, thank you for your help and guidance!