Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/)
-   Overdue & Distress Reports (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Hostage Britons RELEASED (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f37/hostage-britons-released-3715.html)

MMNETSEA 02-01-2010 01:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo Lynn Rival courtesy Coalition Forces

Attachment 1235

Latest from the Times Website

MMNETSEA 02-10-2010 09:05 AM

Here is a well written commentary in Britain's Independent Newspaper.

THEY ARE NOT WORTH IT

I would prefer to land special forces to round up this rabble.

Frank 02-10-2010 10:08 AM

So much for the benefits of being British and the security afforded by flying the Red Ensign. The UK really is a sad excuse for a nation these days. Old Royal Navy hands must be turning in their graves.

MMNETSEA 03-14-2010 11:17 AM

Unconfirmed report has one of the hostages shot (wounded) early today/yesterday 13/14 March . No further info available.

Qldcruiser 03-14-2010 10:11 PM

There is so much political correctness these days that nothing gets done that might possible offend someone or we are being racist etc. As a former naval officer it pains me to see these situations occur and nothing being done at a level that the fear of it dissuades these criminals and animals from ever contemplating another act similar no matter how supposedly desperate.

I understand some peoples thought that these somali's and other are so desperate that they will do this. I am sorry but this is not the case. It is not desperation that drives but the want for riches in an easy way no matter what the human cost as long as it is not there own. This is exemplified by the numbers that are driven off by tactical manouvres or gun fire. Desperation will drive you to keep going no matter the risk. These criminals will run off if the risk is unacceptable. That is not desperation.

The sooner the RN or other forces give these criminals a hit that they will not forget in a hurry we will continue to suffer the wholesale piracy that is occuring. You will not stamp it out completely because there are some out there that are truly desperate and will risk it all. But they are a small minority.

And yes, I did serve in Somalia in the late 80's with the UN peace keepers, so I have seen there conditions and know a bit about the people.

chiroeurope 03-14-2010 10:35 PM

Folks,

As one paper here once put will the last sane person leaving Britain please turn out the lights. Personally, there is a lot of folks across the straight and in that area that are making very good money laundering the ransom money paid. I agree with the earlier post of make it too expensive and painfully so and you will see how well that works.

MMNETSEA 03-14-2010 11:18 PM

Here is a link to The Status of Seized Vessels as of Monday 15th March :

CLICK

This report is well worth absorbing. It really illustrates what an unholy mess has been allowed to ferment in the waters surrounding Somalia. It also demonstrates the underlying corruption that permeates the whole of Africa.

chiroeurope 03-15-2010 04:18 PM

Thank you for the information. It means that when we are in that area we go the long way around and NOT have a UK flagged Vessel (thank goodness for Italian citizenship). Personally (and I know among some this is not popular), All military in the area should have leave to fire upon confirmation of pirate activity outside Somali waters and the permission that was agreed at the UN be used with air strikes on all known bases of pirates on till there is nothing standing. This will never happen as the current governments of the world lack the intestinal strength to use the needed force to stop this.

As far as poaching FV. Seize them and fine the company/ country that is sponsoring the poaching and sell the vessel to sponsor seeding programs to re-establish the fish populations. Again will not happen due to the greed of the PTB's. Gee, one begins to wonder if those of us who seek the cruising life aren't really the sane ones (instead of the slightly crazy as mainstream society would paint us).

magwas 03-15-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiroeurope (Post 41557)
All military in the area should have leave to fire upon confirmation of pirate activity outside Somali waters and the permission that was agreed at the UN be used with air strikes on all known bases of pirates on till there is nothing standing. This will never happen as the current governments of the world lack the intestinal strength to use the needed force to stop this.

They don't lack intestinal strength to do such things. They simply lack oil.

Nausikaa 03-16-2010 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiroeurope (Post 41557)
As far as poaching FV. Seize them and fine the company/ country that is sponsoring the poaching and sell the vessel to sponsor seeding programs to re-establish the fish populations. Again will not happen due to the greed of the PTB's.

This is pretty much standard. Vessels fishing without a license are seized in most countries having a fisheries protection service. The vessel, fishing gear and catch is sold and the skipper/owner fined. In this respect, the UK is one of the toughest countries in Europe.

In the area concerned, any vessels fishing illegally, if not from the Far East, would probably be European! An aerial patrol I was involved in about 6 years ago turned up 22 vessels fishing illegally in Tanzanian waters; all of them French or Spanish tuna vessels.

In some countries the monies obtained from the sale of the vessel etc and the fines go to the general state finances but in others the proceeds go to fisheries. Seeding only works for certain species.

Aye // Stephen

Lighthouse 04-09-2010 05:48 PM

Can anyone confirm this report, or know anything new:

Somalia:Pirates to release British couple in coming hours

7 Apr 7, 2010 - 7:25:41 AM

Somali pirates are reportedly releasing elderly and frail British couple hostage, who have been held for more than six months in the coming hours.

According to reports that Garowe Online received from sources, the gang holding the couple in Harardhere, a pirate haven in northeastern Somalia is said to have been promised unspecific ransom amount to free the hostages.

The gang has previously demanded a ransom money of about $2 million for the expenses they incurred while holding chandlers. But reports say they have so far received money for the expenses they incuured.

The couple is expected to be flown to Nairobi Kenya in the coming hours by a chartered plane that is currently in Somalia’s Adado district, near the area they are held.

Paul Chandler and his wife Rachel, were hijacked on October 23 while vacationing in the Indian Ocean in the middle of the piracy peak season came under pirate attack in the early hours of

Their their 38-foot empty yacht, Lynn Rival was later located in the international waters off Somalia by the British Royal Navy.

Above report from: https://www.garoweonline.com/artman2/...ng_hours.shtml

MMNETSEA 04-09-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lighthouse' date='10 April 2010 - 12:48 AM (Post 1270835317)

Can anyone confirm this report, or know anything new:

Above report from: https://www.garoweonline.com/artman2/...ng_hours.shtml

I have checked my sources - not able to verify the above report.

Nevertheless hope it has substance.

MMNETSEA 04-26-2010 10:48 PM

26/04/2010 - 16:56:18

Somali pirates today moved a British couple they are holding hostage after Islamist insurgents neared their hideout.

Paul and Rachel Chandler were bundled into a car an taken into a forest, soon after al-Shabab fighters approached the pirate lair of Haradhere, a town on the Somali coast.

Ahmed Salad, a local businessman, said an advance team of militants entered Haradhere in two vehicles late yesterday.

Somali pirates and insurgents are two separate groups. If al-Shabab, which is linked to al-Qaida, takes control of pirate strongholds, the pirates’ 300-plus foreign hostages could be in greater danger.

The Chandlers, from Tunbridge Wells, Kent, were seized from their yacht Lynn Rival in the Indian Ocean on October 23.

Read more: https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/som...#ixzz0mFVXqWT1

MMNETSEA 04-27-2010 11:33 AM

It will be soon some 6 months since this hapless cruising couple were taken as hostages. Remember they were taken only 50 nautical yards from a British Warship, while it watched this elderly couple being transferred to the Pirate's operating vessel.

The Royal Navy has many illustrious victories to be justifiably proud - But the taking of the Chandlers must go down as a stain on that record.

If you feel strongly about Britain's present inaction in this matter, Please write and harass your local MP.

MMNETSEA 05-09-2010 12:02 AM

Latest report regarding the Chandlers CLICK

NB. These reports coming out of Somalia and Kenya cannot be verified for their veracity

magwas 05-12-2010 10:32 AM

I do think that the key to the solution at Somalia is cooperation with Islamic groups.

They are rooted in the local culture, and an order where there are severe punishments, but it is known how to avoid them is better than a lack of order where anyone can be killed without reason.

I do not know much about Islam, but I believe that basic rules could be negotiated which are more or less in line with our western values, conform with Islam, and end the hostilities and starvation.

MMNETSEA 05-26-2010 11:05 PM

The Chandler's appeal to the new PM 7 months into their ordeal:-

Click

MMNETSEA 07-16-2010 11:37 AM

Anyone, have updates on the fate of the Chandlers ? The British Government is remarkably quiet. There was a hope that action would be taken to rescue this unfortunate couple when the previous government was voted out of office.

Seems politically correct to sacrifice British troops in Afghanistan. But, not to contemplate or consider the risk of taking on Somali criminals.

Would it be even greater 'incorrectness' to pay the Israels to do the job?

magwas 07-16-2010 08:50 PM

I know that what I am about to say sounds harsh, but this is the truth.

Military is busy in Afghanistan making big bucks for the weapon industry and drug dealers, they have no time to save an economically unviable couple.

In the meanwhile western countries apparently still think that giving citizen's money to murderers and pirates is better than giving taxpayer money to get the country in its feet.

Yes, citizens pay the higher price for the goods at the end. The extra expenses go to security people (murderers) and pirates.

chiroeurope 07-17-2010 11:59 AM

One can hope and pray and write the government for those of us living here. I am doing a lot of praying.

JeanneP 07-17-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magwas' date='16 July 2010 - 04:44 PM (Post 1279313404)

In the meanwhile western countries apparently still think that giving citizen's money to murderers and pirates is better than giving taxpayer money to get the country in its feet.

Yes, citizens pay the higher price for the goods at the end. The extra expenses go to security people (murderers) and pirates.

I would not blame the governments for the problem with Somalia pirates, though their inaction is shameful. Blame the insurance companies for the freight companies for supporting the piracy by their payment of big ransoms for their ships. The first multimillion ransom provided the funds to more aggresively arm the pirates and better supply them with assault vessels and a "mother ship". Now it is big business in Somalia, and it is much more difficult to stop. It is no longer a few very brave men in a couple fast boats. Now it's hundreds of young men looking to make a fortune in a day, and it's dozens of very fast boats.

A bit like the plague. Stop it when only a few are infected and you can stop it in its tracks, but once it gets a foothold it's a disaster popping up everywhere. A HYDRA with no Hercules to kill it.

Magwas, I think that you were a bit harsh there, though perhaps the events of the past few years deserve that type of comment. But could we tone down the political comments? I'd rather be sailing.

Jeanne

MMNETSEA 07-18-2010 12:04 AM

Do we have any news on the fate of the Cruising couple by the name of Chandler who were kidnapped by Somali pirates from their boat last October 2009 ????

chiroeurope 07-19-2010 10:48 AM

Unfortunately non form sources I can get a second source on. To put that in plan talk it means the sources I am finding are not backed up by any source that I can say is trustworthy for the information they provide. There is some info out there but most of it is shaky. Sorry wish I could be of more help.

Michael

magwas 07-19-2010 11:48 AM

Jeanne, i am sorry for being harsh, but the situation itself is.

As the somali situation is basically a political one, it is impossible to comment on it without mentioning politics, especially knowing that the main reason stated behind the very existence of UN is to prevent such situations.

I yanked the rest of my comment and try to be quiet in this this topic, but I think it is important to know why we cannot just peacefully sail there.

MMNETSEA 07-20-2010 11:27 AM

Does anyone, or does any news organization have any information of any kind - good or bad regarding this hapless couple.

The statistics for this year have at least shown a decline of interest by Somali Pirates in taking yachts and their crews into bondage.

chiroeurope 07-21-2010 09:14 AM

outside of the fact that the town has been taken by Islamic extremists who have said that they intend to find them and free them, No. Last news I found was 9th of May in any of three languages (English, Italian, French). If anyone can find a source of more up to date information please post.

Michael

Lighthouse 10-09-2010 08:51 PM

Oct. 7, 2010.

Sea-jacked British couple, Paul and Rachel Chandler, aged 59 and 56, were abducted from their 38-ft yacht S/Y LYNN RIVAL, seized October 22, 2009 en route to Tanzania, and are still held in Somalia. The yacht was recovered by the crew of UK naval vessel Waveknight, after they witnessed the transfer of the Chandlers to commandeered MV KOTA WAJAR. The yacht was brought back to England. The elderly couple is now held on land close to Adado, sometimes separated for fear of a commando attack.

The case is turning more and more ugly with pirates becoming brutal, politicians ignorant and the financially incapable family intimidated by several sidelines, whose money-guided approach is undermining bids by local elders, human rights groups and the Somali Diaspora to get the innocent couple free. Some humanitarian efforts, however, have succeeded and Somali elders, respected leaders and the Somali Diaspora have renewed their demand for an unconditional release.

Latest reports from the ground say that the couple is now treated better, though they often are kept separated for fear of a military rescue attempt. Since the health of both elderly people at the beginning of the year was reportedly deteriorating rapidly relief and medicine has been sent by a humanitarian organization and was received by the couple.

Repeatedly rumours were spread concerning attacks, wounding or killing one of the hostages and also about a release managed by the TFG, but all these stories became so far not true.

With former British Premier Gordon Brown gone, some believed that the incoming politicians under conservative Premier David Cameron maybe would be more rational and humanitarian minded, would not abandon their citizens but would extend help to solve the appalling case. Unfortunately for the elderly couple in captivity also the new government in the UK made it clear that no ransom would be paid by the British government and British MPs, who had enough and wanted to cut through, were quickly whistled back.

Professor Mohamed Omar Dalha, the Minister for Rehabilitation and Social Affairs of the Somali Transitional Federal Government of Somalia had repeatedly been pleading with the hostage takers to release the couple, but to no avail.

Also, the direct approach by the family seems to have had some not so successful advisers, because an attempt to free the Chandlers mid June 2010 didn't work out, while the family according to Reuters allegedly already lost the 430,000 US$ they had collected by paying that amount blindly to to elders involved in the negotiations, a clan chief told Reuters. The pirates had demanded a $7 million ransom for the couple, but reduced the figure to less than $1 million.

Most recently the British officials who still hold a firm grip on the next of kin of the abducted couple, seem to have embarked on a campaign under the motto: "If we can't get them free, nobody else shall!" and concentrated their efforts not on uniting capable people and available resources to get a solution, but to just frustrate any independent effort. Such can be summarized as factual abandonment, though - in order to be fair - it also must be stated very clearly that neither the Transitional Federal Government, be it President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed himself, nor the Prime-Minister or several cabinet-ministers, who all promised to get the hostages free, have achieved anything. Likewise the Somali Diaspora, who apparently collected money, which now is said to have disappeared, did also not prove to be helpful.

With next of kin in retreat, the British government blocking, officials incapable, the media gagged and even friends helpless, the chances of the Chandlers look bleak, while fundamentalist Al-Shabaab are approaching the area where they are held.

The last proof of life from the couple dates from mid September 2010.

MMNETSEA 10-17-2010 04:36 AM

Britain trying to obtain release of the Chandlers taken as a hostage :-

HOSTAGE LINK

Lighthouse 10-23-2010 01:39 PM

.... "Please help us, these people are not treating us well," said Rachel Chandler. "I'm old, I'm 56 and my husband is 60 years old. We need to be together because we have not much time left."

According to a source close to the negotiations, the Chandlers are now together after being held for months in separate locations near the central Somali town of Amara. ...

Latest update - HERE

MMNETSEA 11-14-2010 08:25 AM

There is a report circulating that the Chandlers have been released by the pirates.

HOWEVER the BBC make no mention of this in their latest bulletin an hour ago.

CLICK

MMNETSEA 11-14-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMNETSEA (Post 1289723123)

There is a report circulating that the Chandlers have been released by the pirates.

HOWEVER the BBC make no mention of this in their latest bulletin an hour ago.

CLICK

Now confirmed by many Reputable News Sources.

Great news for them, their families, friends and all who ply the seas.

Lighthouse 11-14-2010 10:00 AM

Fantastic news!

Story - HERE

gslabbert5119 11-14-2010 05:17 PM

Yeah really cool, saw this on the news this morning, still unfortunately a ransom was paid. Still they are alive and well.