Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/)
-   Overdue & Distress Reports (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   Looking for "Spirit of Rema" (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f37/looking-for-spirit-of-rema-5913.html)

FrankZ 02-01-2012 01:37 PM

Looking for "Spirit of Rema"

Some friends of the crew of Spirit of Rema are worried about their friend Eddie Anker. He is in his 70's, is sailing solo leaving from Maderia to South America (possibly Brazil). He has not been heard from since 26 October 2011.

If anyone has any information please post and I can pass it on.

Thank you.

FrankZ 02-04-2012 03:45 AM

Eddie has been located.

Saltyrope 03-19-2013 08:57 AM

Spirit of Rema.

Hi all, I can pass messages along to Edward Anker when he next contacts me. Edward and I have been friends for a number of years, since Edward made Napier New Zealand his 'return to base' home port.
After leaving here where he lived with our family, a few months ago, he headed back to the region of Cape Town with 'further sailing plans'
Like others, I have a high opinion of Edward and I and my family care for his wellbeing but also respect his passion and tenacity to carry on doing what he is doing.
Edward, preferring to do something before mentioning plans in his usual modest and gentlemanly fasion will no doubt contact me at his next port of call.
Good sailing, in all its forms to all sailors.

Regards, John B (Saltyrope.)

Panther 101

Saltyrope 04-21-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saltyrope (Post 37908)
Hi all, I can pass messages along to Edward Anker when he next contacts me. Edward and I have been friends for a number of years, since Edward made Napier New Zealand his 'return to base' home port.
After leaving here where he lived with our family, a few months ago, he headed back to the region of Cape Town with 'further sailing plans'
Like others, I have a high opinion of Edward and I and my family care for his wellbeing but also respect his passion and tenacity to carry on doing what he is doing.
Edward, preferring to do something before mentioning plans in his usual modest and gentlemanly fasion will no doubt contact me at his next port of call.
Good sailing, in all its forms to all sailors.

Regards, John B (Saltyrope.)

Panther 101

Edward left Hout Bay on 26th December 2012 in his engineless H28 Spirit of Rema. He had a possible entry point in Australia of Albany. Ilse Saint Paul is 'on the way'. A request is sent to all voyagers and others to forward any sightings or news of Edward Anker. Thank you. All the best. John Burns

Rover Crew 04-30-2013 03:50 PM

Update - April 30th 2013

This update from the group of Eddies longstanding friends, who are concerned for his whereabouts:-
Eddie left South Africa, (Hout Bay) mid January 2013. We had communication from him after Christmas, before he left, in which he said that he would not give us his exact date of leaving, because he didn't want us 'get into a state' if he didn't show up in what we thought was a reasonable time period.
He was headed for Australia with plans to hit land in the area of Cape Leeuwin, before moving on to Albany.
We have contacted Australian authorities and as of today, they tell us that he has not registered as having entered Australia.
As far as we can see, the only possible landfall between South Africa & Australia is the group of French held islands, which includes Isle St Paul & Isle Amsterdam. Whether he made a stop there we don't know.
It is one of our concerns that, in our opinions, Eddie does not carry enough fresh water with him, and replenishing stocks on this leg of his journey would appear to be difficult.
We accept that he has been blown off course/becalmed in the past and had to make changes to his route, but with his eventual destination being New Zealand, we can see little opportunity for much change in the route on this leg of the journey.
If anyone out there, has any news or information about his whereabouts (and we know he will not be pleased that we are, as he will say - 'making a fuss' about this) please let us know.

As an aside from this, the group of friends concerned were all boy scouts together, many many years ago. They are all now in their 70's and have remained in contact all that time, with regular 'reunions' to yarn about 'old times' and to recount more recent adventures.

Smooth sailing and fair winds to all.

Saltyrope 04-30-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rover Crew (Post 38345)
This update from the group of Eddies longstanding friends, who are concerned for his whereabouts:-
Eddie left South Africa, (Hout Bay) mid January 2013. We had communication from him after Christmas, before he left, in which he said that he would not give us his exact date of leaving, because he didn't want us 'get into a state' if he didn't show up in what we thought was a reasonable time period.
He was headed for Australia with plans to hit land in the area of Cape Leeuwin, before moving on to Albany.
We have contacted Australian authorities and as of today, they tell us that he has not registered as having entered Australia.
As far as we can see, the only possible landfall between South Africa & Australia is the group of French held islands, which includes Isle St Paul & Isle Amsterdam. Whether he made a stop there we don't know.
It is one of our concerns that, in our opinions, Eddie does not carry enough fresh water with him, and replenishing stocks on this leg of his journey would appear to be difficult.
We accept that he has been blown off course/becalmed in the past and had to make changes to his route, but with his eventual destination being New Zealand, we can see little opportunity for much change in the route on this leg of the journey.
If anyone out there, has any news or information about his whereabouts (and we know he will not be pleased that we are, as he will say - 'making a fuss' about this) please let us know.

As an aside from this, the group of friends concerned were all boy scouts together, many many years ago. They are all now in their 70's and have remained in contact all that time, with regular 'reunions' to yarn about 'old times' and to recount more recent adventures.

Smooth sailing and fair winds to all.

Do you think that these these contacts are worth following up?

International Boat Watch Network - (Archives - 2013)

Regards, John

Rover Crew 05-01-2013 03:21 PM

Thanks John, that may be an idea, I will put it to the rest of 'the gang' to see what they think.
Will keep in touch, and hope that he turns up somewhere.
cheers for now.

Rover Crew 05-03-2013 04:44 PM

Update

Hi all
I've managed to confirm that Eddie left the Hout Bay Yacht Club/Marina, South Africa on 26th December 2012. I guess, therefore, that the email that we received after that date was sent from perhaps another area, before he left South African waters for good.
Before he left Hout Bay, he apparently spoke of the intention to make a stop at one of the (virtually uninhabited) islands en route - Isle Amsterdam or St Paul. However, unless he likes the company of the seabirds there, and has decided to stay, it would seem that he is very overdue in Australia.
I am attempting to make contact with authorities that cover those islands, to find out how we can confirm whether he is there, was there, or has never been near nor by.
All for now.

anilkumar 05-04-2013 09:14 AM

may god keep him safe and secure we could only wish for such peace here.....

Rover Crew 05-13-2013 01:38 PM

Update 13 May 2013

Update from Eddies friends in UK/Spain
My enquiries with the authorities responsible for the Islands St Paul & Amsterdam have confirmed that Eddie/Spirit of Rema have not been seen at the islands, and that no request to land on the islands was received from him.
Apparently these authorities have also contacted those on the archipelagos Crozet & Kerguelen and he doesn't seem to have been seen there either, but they have advised vessels in the area of the situation and asked them to - what we might call - 'keep an eye out'.
We await further news - of any kind.

Fair winds to you all. Eddies 'gang'

Rover Crew 06-05-2013 01:04 PM

Update 5th June 2013

We have now passed the 5 month mark, since anyone has had any communication from Eddie.
Since the last update, more messages have been posted on other webpages, (I'm sure that some of you have come across them) but still no sign of him.
If anyone has any news of him.. we'll be glad to hear it.
Saludos para todos.. and fair winds for all of you.
'Eddies gang'

penders 06-20-2013 08:53 AM

Eddie's family

Hi all, I am Eddies cousin Neale I live in the UK, I stumbled on this thread whilst searching the web for information about Eddie, naturally myself and the rest of the family are concerned as we too have heard nothing since he left Hout Bay. I would be very grateful for any information should anyone hear anything. You can contact me via this forum or via my daughters twitter account- @BelPenfound
It's good to know Eddie has friends out there who are looking out for him I am grateful to you all.

regards Neale Penfound.

Rover Crew 06-20-2013 01:37 PM

Hi Neale,
I will send you a PM via this webpage with some contact details. We still have no news I'm afraid.

Rover Crew 06-26-2013 02:50 PM

Six months today

It is 6 months today since Eddie left Hout Bay, and since anyone has heard from him.
I have ascertained, today, through contact with Australian Customs that he has NOT 'entered' Australia, and so we can only assume (and hope) that he is still somewhere between South Africa & Australia.
I have also emailed the various authorities, previously contacted, to ask whether they have had any sightings of him, or.... ? and I now wait their replies.
If anyone is venturing on the same route ('straight across' from SA to Aus) please keep an eye out for him.
We await news, of any sort.
cheers all... 'Eddies gang'

Saltyrope 06-29-2013 02:57 AM

Update on Ed Anker and Spirit of Rema equipment. Ed carries two computers with world charts, a hand held VHF, a hand held GPS as well as a Sextant and charts.
There are however no widely available detailed charts of the Isle St Paul and from the satellite photos and ocean charts it has shallows at the entrance to the inner 'lake'. If seeking shelter there it would take very careful visual navigation to avoid running aground.
Spirit of Rema was strengthened by Ed in the building process and will survive rough seas however a knock down or roll over may well have broken the (wooden) mast. I have given a full year for Ed being able to survive, drifting at sea, using rations from his normal six months plus supply, fishing and rain water. After that time it would become increasingly harder to survive unless drifting in a productive fishing area. I firmly believe that it is too early to write Ed off as lost at sea. I know of cases of people taking extra ordinary lengths of time to cross stretches of water once their rig has been damaged or lost. I am definately hanging 'in there' for Ed to turn up. John B / Saltyrope.

Rover Crew 06-29-2013 01:10 PM

Thanks John.. yes, we are still hoping that Eddie has survived whatever has been 'thrown' at him.
We were under the impression that he didn't have VHF or GPS of any sort, certainly my husband and I don't remember anything of that nature when we were aboard with Ed in Vigo(Spain) in 2011, before he set out on his voyage back to NZ.
Since my last post, I have received an email from the 'Base Commander' of St Paul/Amsterdam, who tells us that he has no news of Eddie, no messages have been recieved there from him and no request to land at the islands has been made by him. A French Navy Frigate checked Islands Crozet, during routine patrols in May, (with radar) and found nothing - aside from some 'floating debris' which they believed to be from a fishing vessel.
Photos of Eddie and of 'Spirit of Rema' have been circulated up and down the Western Australian coast through coastal monitoring authorities offices.
We are still hoping that he is out there somewhere, but find it hard to imagine the scenario aboard 'Spirit of Rema' and what trials Eddie might be having to deal with.
With fingers..... and alot more,.... crossed
'Eddies Gang'

Rover Crew 06-29-2013 01:16 PM

Further reply - with thoughts from my more technical husband.. the VHF, GPS and computers all require electric (?).. and as far as my 'man' can recall, Eddie only has one small solar panel to produce electric?? (although he accepts that his memory isn't what it was!!) Would this be enough to maintain everything 'working'. ??

Rover Crew 06-30-2013 03:00 PM

Further reply from the 'technical department' - we now believe that we can remember Eddie having the solar panel, (small) and a means of generating some power from the wind, via a 'windmill' on the stern. So again, would this be enough to maintain all electric gadgetry in working order?.
Another thought - if he has a hand held VHF, does he have a callsign?
What we wonder is whether he had these things when he left NZ way back in the dim and distant years gone by, but that they have given up, or been lost along the way, because we really can't think that he had anything more than his laptop with his charts on when we were aboard in Sept 2011 (in Vigo), before he started his homeward (NZ bound) voyage. He made a point of telling us how he didn't like too much technology and gadgetry. Indeed I had to help him put some money on his UK mobile phone, which he was planning on doing without, assuming it wouldn't work much after the Canary Islands, and he only put a relatively small amount of euros on it.
Its all very puzzling, and we are all racking our brains to remember conversations we had with him, or things he showed any of us and so on.
Keeping everything crossed..

seumasm 07-18-2013 11:50 AM

From Edward's time in the UK, Spirit of Rema has a small rutland wind turbine mounted near the stern, seen in the first link below.

There is also a small 4-5 horse outboard motor mounted over the stern in such a way it can be raised or lowered from the cockpit, it is not sufficiently strong to drive Rema against a sea but it was mainly used for maneuvering in marinas.

Some links to photos:
Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Spirit of Rema + visitors | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Goodbye Rema | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Edward made very light use of electronics, but Rema is equipped with a VHF, GPS and AIS receiver. I reckon he would get enough power for those devices on an ocean crossing. He has digital world charts on a laptop and I suspect if Edward considered landfall at any of those islands he would have purchased the charts for those areas if they were available.

Rover Crew 07-18-2013 01:01 PM

Thank you seumasm for that information, which may prove useful in our searches.
We know that Ed had charts on a lap top,, but that he refused the 'GPS driver' and 'Chart plotter', saying that he preferred to work things out for himself - and I am given to understand from 'Saltyrope', that charts for the islands 'inbetween' are not easy to come by. I'll check with him.
Cheers for now..

Rover Crew 07-26-2013 05:56 PM

7 months

7 months today since Ed left Hout Bay, and we are still continuing with our 'search'.
We have had some information passed to us, from someone who helped Ed prepare to leave, - and I post it here in the hope that something might 'strike a chord' with someone. -
At the time of Ed leaving Hout Bay, (26th Dec 2012) weather services predicted a 'few days' of northerlies, and indeed the northerly winds did hold for a few days, and Edward would have been able to get well away from the coast and into the westerlies, as planned. He was planning to travel along the 40th parallel, dipping north or south of it as necessary. He expected the journey (to Australia) to take 70days at best (which gives a possible arrival date somewhere around the 5th March) He was not at all worried about the timescale and was prepared to be at sea for a longer period.
He had GPS, VHF and a short wave receiver, and traditional navigation equipment, which he well knew how to use and paper charts which he preferred. His wind generator would provide ample power for his simple electrics, and he has a solar panel.
He was very well set up, in a simple, efficient and seamanlike way. The vessel is a strong little ship, handled by a very experienced man.
With the northerly winds that he had when he left, he would have taken the opportunity to get south quickly and would not have made landfall at any other SA port. It is not likely, in any way, that he headed towards Madagascar.
He spent alot of time getting back into shape for the journey, and there were no medical or health issues that I was aware of.

So there you have it, a very clear 'report' from one of the last people to see Ed before he left. We would like to publicly thank this guy for his time and effort in both helping Ed with preparations, and in supplying us with this information.
We remain, with our fingers crossed that he is out there somewhere, and that the only reason for his non arrival is a simple one.

Safe sailing to you all.

Rover Crew 09-29-2013 02:02 PM

9 months

So here we are, just over 9mnths since Ed left Hout Bay. We had been pinning our hopes on the supply vessel Marion Dufresne, recently operating in the waters around the islands where we hoped that Ed was holed up. Sadly they have returned to port unable to give us any news of any sightings.
Further checks have revealed that the fishing fleet out of the Kerguelen Islands have reported no sightings either.
... and finally, an email received from Marine Rescue Co-ordination Centre (MRCC) Cape Town, tells us that they have "stopped all active searches for this vessel.The probability of success is just too slim"
This would seem then that they consider we have little hope of finding him now after all this time.
Difficult to grasp, but we must now accept that it is somewhat more than likely that he has been lost at sea.
Thank you to everyone who has shown concern and interest.
Fair winds to you all.. I shall still watch with interest what you are all up to out there, being on this forum has brought back many happy memories of sailing days gone by.

redbopeep 09-29-2013 05:39 PM

So sorry to hear no sightings/contact made. Thank you for keeping us up to date here.

Fair winds,
Brenda and David

Anthony and Lynn Compson 10-03-2013 03:54 PM

We cannot believe that we may have lost Ed to the Southern ocean.We only met him a few times and had a wonderful evening with him in Ipswich docks before he left to sail south.What a lovely unassuming man.We think of him often and still hope for a miracle.
Fair winds
Anthony and Lynn Compson

Rover Crew 10-04-2013 02:15 PM

Thank you, Anthony & Lynn for those kind words about Eddie. 'Unassuming' just about sums him up, and it is difficult to accept that we may have lost him.
We all hope against hope that he will wander into the NZ yachtclub one day (someone suggested, 'bearded and with long hair'!) and wonder what all the fuss is about.

bfloyd4445 11-22-2013 02:28 AM

When my daughter was at home she used to go with me on some of hair brained excursions into remote areas just to see the country. Most would not go with me so mostly I went solo, still do, and I'm 66. She used to say, Dad, someday you won't return and we will never learn what happened unless years later someone finds your big boots. I always carried ID, money, in my boot just in case. Now she says one day I'll just disappear out on the water never to be heard from again. I said, maybe so but when I sail off into the sunset it will be doing what I have always loved.

Rover Crew 11-22-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 (Post 40610)
. Now she says one day I'll just disappear out on the water never to be heard from again. I said, maybe so but when I sail off into the sunset it will be doing what I have always loved.

Exactly!! and this is what we have to say about Ed - if he has gone, and it would appear that he has, he went doing just what he loved and wanted to do. It was his ambition to circumnavigate, solo and in the very basic way of the old sailing days, - and - he nearly made it.
It is, however, the not knowing what happened, that upsets us. We can only hope that whatever did happen was quick, and that he didn't suffer days of pain or so on.

Thanks bfloyd445, for your thoughts.

bfloyd4445 11-23-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rover Crew (Post 40618)
Exactly!! and this is what we have to say about Ed - if he has gone, and it would appear that he has, he went doing just what he loved and wanted to do. It was his ambition to circumnavigate, solo and in the very basic way of the old sailing days, - and - he nearly made it.
It is, however, the not knowing what happened, that upsets us. We can only hope that whatever did happen was quick, and that he didn't suffer days of pain or so on.

Thanks bfloyd445, for your thoughts.

From the thread I get the impression Ed could handle just about anything that came his way so if he has moved on to a better world than ours, my feeling is it happened graciously.
In my life I have had two experiences which often come to mind one happened in 1987 when a very good friend had an accident when sailing on a small lake. Rod was never going to have kids cause there were already plenty to go round and he and his life long girl friend were fine until she became with child. They both thought the same way so there was much soul searching and they decided to get married, keep the baby. To celebrate they had a big party at Rancho Seco lake a 20 acre lake used for reactor emergency cooling that had been made into a nice little park. The day before the party to ice the cake he was promoted to an upper management position in the company he worked for. Everything was looking really nice and the couple were full of life. The day of the party Rod took his laser??..not sure what the name was to the park to sail. When he had showed me this thing a couple of months earlier I had told him it looked difficult to control and dangerous. Rod replied, she is a little feisty but lots of fun and fast. Well the day of the party there was a bit of a north west blustery wind and the party goers realized there was no Rod so they went looking for him. He was found in less than five feet of water and his sail not far off. The cause of death was drowning which most thought odd cause Rod was a very good swimmer. Thinking about it I believe a sudden gust cause a gybe which knocked him out in the shallow water and he drowned. Very sad but a painless way to go.
Then another incident I wish to mention happened to me when I was a child of maybe 7-8. I was in a swimming pool having a grand time when there was a blank second and then I was watching the people in the pool while laying on the bottom perfectly contented. I can distinctly remember the peoples feet and legs moving under the water which I found fascinating to watch. Then the next thing I knew I was sitting on a toilet with people standing around me. I looked around and asked, why am I here what happened. I was told that I was missed and I was found on the bottom of the pool and everyone had thought I had drowned. But as you can see I am fine and this is 58 years later. What that incident told me was that drowning is painless and you do drift off into a fantasy world which includes the world around you.
This is life, Rod has no pain, but I survived to enjoy another 58 years past of intermittent pain and maybe a few more in the future. Maybe that's why I like the water. It treats all equal even if a bit moody<smile>. Yesterday I the ocean off the Oregon coast was flat with almost no swell almost becalmed but for a very light north west breeze. The bar at Coos Bay Oregon can be pretty nasty but yesterday it was as calm as the ocean like I have never seen it before. Wonderful day as is today the tuna fleet is doing very well out of Coos Bay this year. There's a cannery there, Chucks Seafood, that I like to stop at to load up with canned tuna. The only better canned tuna is that which you can yourself but only sometimes. I've canned tuna and my product isn't consistant like Chucks.
Anyway my friends, I assure you Ed is fine, and grateful of your love. He is a lucky man to be so loved.
God bless

Rover Crew 12-25-2013 03:28 PM

Ed. RIP ...........?

Tomorrow will mark a year since Ed set sail from Hout Bay, South Africa.
He has now been officially registered as 'missing'.
We wil be raising a glass to his memory, along with a any number of his friends.. please join us.
Heres to you, Ed.:icon_drinks:

redbopeep 12-25-2013 09:26 PM

Glasses raised, a toast to Ed--bless his life and memory. We, like other sailors always remember:

"It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better."
-Sir Francis Drake

Fair winds,
Brenda and David

bfloyd4445 01-05-2014 01:04 AM

Here's to u Ed

:icon_drinks:

God bless

moetsailing 01-31-2014 02:37 PM

our friend Edward

Just heard the sad news about Edward. A wonderful man and a a dear friend. An inspiration for how to live life. We spent a lot of time together in NZ at anchor over the years and shared many special moments. I feel honoured and proud to have known Edward, and pleased he touched so many people along his journey. He is very much missed. x

Rover Crew 01-31-2014 04:58 PM

Thank you 'moetsailing' for you thoughts and words about Ed.
Yes he is missed by all of us, and I am sure that he has been an inspiration to many. I certainly have been contacted by many people who knew him since I posted on here, and began the 'search for Ed'.. it is clear that he touched many lives.
Cheers for now.. safe sailing to all..

Rover Crew 02-04-2014 04:17 PM

TO ALL FRIENDS, ACQUAINTANCES & SAILING COMPANIONS
OF EDWARD (EDDIE) ANKER,
OF 'THE SPIRIT OF REMA'

A Memorial Fund has now been set up for Edward (Eddie) Anker.
It is known as the 'Forever by the Sea fund' and is in support of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, UK (the RNLI).

Anyone who wishes to make a donation or add their memories or photos of Ed, to the webpage - please PM me for the link, or go to the RNLI webpage and search for Edward Anker in the funds list.

Regards, - and safe sailing to you all.

RoyMcBride 07-05-2020 11:14 AM

Spirit of Rema pictures

Hello,

I have noted in the past that there was a post to search for Eddie Anker who had been posted as missing.

I live near the Hout Bay marina and used to see Ed working on his yacht.

I have one comment and it was from an ocean sailor, Spirit of Rema had no safety life lines around the deck, meaning if Ed slipped he could easily end up over the side and even with a harness be washed away?

I have two images, Ed is in both of them as is his yacht, if I click on the Insert Image it asks for a URL, I have the images in my Documents, how do I access them??

RoyMcBride 07-05-2020 12:37 PM

Sprit of Rema pictures

I have at least two images, there may be more in my PC if I search for them?

How do I access the images that I do have, they are in Documents in my PC not on a web site.

Auzzee 07-05-2020 01:27 PM

The easiest way to post is to first drag and drop the images on to your desk top. Then, when you reply to a post, look in the fields above the text box. Click on the paperclip. This will prompt you to browse for an image.

Find the image on the desk top (you can only open one at a time), click on it to download, then when it appears in 'manage', click on it, then scroll down to 'preview', to see if the image has been loaded. You can do this with each image before you click 'post'.

If you have any problems, please ask fr further assistance. meanwhile, thanks sincerely for tasking the time and trouble to post your images. I know it will mean a lot to Eddie's friends and family.

Best wishes.

RoyMcBride 07-05-2020 03:01 PM

Pictures of Spirit of Rema with Eddie in them

Thanks,

I will try that in the morning, then search out the rest of the pictures to do the same.

Rover Crew 07-05-2020 04:42 PM

Thank you Roy, for contacting this thread, and trying to put your photos on it.. and thank you Auzzee, for your assistance there!
Sadly it is clearly, more than obvious that Eddie was lost at sea somewhere in between South Africa and Australia, 7 years ago in 2013.. but even so, I still keep an eye on various web sites and internet news pages, with a vague hope that someone will turn up something, even just a piece of the boat.. or some identifiable item, just to put a lid on it all.
I hope that you can link your photos to this thread, I shall be interested to see them. I'll check in again in the next few days, to see if they are here.
Best wishes.. and thanks again for your message.

RoyMcBride 07-05-2020 05:23 PM

Sprit of Rema pictures

Hello,

i am new on this group but please why not change the format where an image or file can be uploaded. Similar groups give the option to choose between Documents or Pictures, super simple, why does this group not do the same?

It asks for a URL why?

Auzzee 07-05-2020 07:06 PM

Hey Roy, I know this is old technology and for a variety of reasons, we can't update it for the moment. However, instead of trying to bother with URLs when you select 'quick reply', try selecting 'go advanced', then you will see at the head of the text field a much enlarged menu. Spot the paperclip and then, off you go. Hope this helps.

bfloyd4445 07-06-2020 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rover Crew (Post 46836)
Thank you Roy, for contacting this thread, and trying to put your photos on it.. and thank you Auzzee, for your assistance there!
Sadly it is clearly, more than obvious that Eddie was lost at sea somewhere in between South Africa and Australia, 7 years ago in 2013.. but even so, I still keep an eye on various web sites and internet news pages, with a vague hope that someone will turn up something, even just a piece of the boat.. or some identifiable item, just to put a lid on it all.
I hope that you can link your photos to this thread, I shall be interested to see them. I'll check in again in the next few days, to see if they are here.
Best wishes.. and thanks again for your message.

He was crosseing very unpredictable seas. Sad, our loss......... but Eddie?......,likely in sailors heaven no longer encumberned with lifes demands on course to a paradise only he can imagine. God rest his soul

RoyMcBride 07-06-2020 06:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
These are two of the images that I have.

RoyMcBride 07-06-2020 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Auzzee (Post 46838)
Hey Roy, I know this is old technology and for a variety of reasons, we can't update it for the moment. However, instead of trying to bother with URLs when you select 'quick reply', try selecting 'go advanced', then you will see at the head of the text field a much enlarged menu. Spot the paperclip and then, off you go. Hope this helps.

I took your advice and via that found another route to up load the two images that I have held since Ed left our shores.

I seem to remember more, possibly of the boat and not with Ed in them, I will do a file search and see what I find?

Regards

Roy

Auzzee 07-06-2020 11:37 AM

Thanks for uploading those Roy. I am sure they mean a lot to his friends and family. best wishes.

RoyMcBride 07-06-2020 11:43 AM

Thanks, I have found one more image and of the bow and deck, there are more pictures but this far I cannot find them, when and if I do I will post them.

RoyMcBride 07-06-2020 11:50 AM

Picture of Spirit of Rema , bow and deck, Hout Bay marina, RSA

1 Attachment(s)
This is one of a number of similar images that I took of the Sprit of Rema as she was such a well turned out vessel.

Rover Crew 07-07-2020 02:24 PM

Thank you Roy for uploading the photos.
I shall alert the others of 'the scout gang' that they are there, so that they can view them too.
My husband and I spent a few days with Eddie when he was berthed in Vigo, Northern Spain, before he headed off back towards NZ, and I am so pleased to be able to say that he allowed me to take the helm (for a short while!) of his beloved and beautiful boat during one of our days out. Not having sailed, at that point, for some years, you can imagine that I was very nervous of being in charge of what was effectively Eddies home. Fortunately, like riding a bike, it seems you never really lose the knowledge of what to do!
So nice to 'replay' the memories.. safe sailing everyone.

RoyMcBride 07-07-2020 02:53 PM

Thanks for your comment.

I took pictures of Spirit of Rema in two lots, the two with Eddie in them are the second set.

This far and excepting the bow image I have not located the first set, when did Eddie arrive in Hout Bay, If I had that as a date I can work from around that time in my picture folders for the rest of the images?

Rover Crew 07-07-2020 03:54 PM

Hello Roy,
According to my records from the search for him, Eddie arrived in Hout Bay around the end of January 2012. Certainly he was in Hout Bay during the first week of February of that year. Hope that helps!

RoyMcBride 09-28-2020 12:41 PM

I have already posted about Ed and Sprit of Rema, with some pictures also, I have just found another picture showing the Q flag so he had just arrived at Hout Bay.

The date I took the picture was 2012 January 31st

Roy McBride, Port Officer for the OCC in Hout Bay

I would post the picture here but the links above want a URL, the file is in my Documents folder.