Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums

Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/)
-   General Cruising Forum (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   I'm going to be a blockhead! (https://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f12/im-going-to-be-a-blockhead-7625.html)

mico 05-10-2013 10:21 PM

I'm going to be a blockhead!

2 Attachment(s)
Heading up to Borneo on Tuesday and hopefully recommissioning the new ray marine auto helm after having to bring it back to Oz for a replacement after discovering the gyro was faulty. Then its a solo sail up to Kudat for a haul out, replace all the old corroded through hole fittings and valves and strip the bottom and do a new barrier coat, tie coat and anti foul. (Anyone in the area fancy a quick cruise?:lol:)

Getting a haul out has always been a nerve racking, heart in mouth experience although it's always been centred around the travel lift operation - not the blocking up. I just googled Kudat and found out how they do it :eek:

I'm told by others that the chinese guy who runs the place is great to deal with and knows what he's doing but its going to be an experience.:lol:

Perhaps we should have a post titled 'the most weird and wonderful haul out's we've had' I'm sure some of you have had some unusual ones.

If anyone has been up there, I'd appreciate any tips - especially as to what I should take with me and what facitlites such as paint etc are up there.

Fair winds,

mico/Australis

redbopeep 05-11-2013 09:36 PM

Good luck on the haul-out! We always worry a bit, too. Those blocks look...scary...

capta 05-11-2013 11:16 PM

Is that the hull of your schooner in the pics?
Are those rocks being used as stands in the boat yard, and if so, who runs the place, Fred Flintstone?

mico 05-11-2013 11:31 PM

Yabba Dabba Dooooooooo!!!!

Yabba Dabba Dooooooooo!!!! :lol:

No, that's not our yacht - we have a 44' ketch I'll be sailing up there in a few days. Those images are just a couple I discovered when I googled 'Kudat' - and yes, blocks are the standard up there.

As scary as it may look, I'm told by everyone who has had a haul out there, that all the staff are extremely skilled and very helpful. Apparently, being out of the cyclone belt, many yachts leave their vessels on the hard for months without a problem in the yard.

True, the blocks are not something I've come across before but I have not heard of any damage or accidents to any yacht there.

I'll keep you posted on how I go:)

fair winds,

mico/Australis II

redbopeep 05-13-2013 03:03 AM

Uh, not just the hull, it's the whole boat :)