Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Ensign

I have been a mono man all my life and now reading some of the blog's written by cat owners is making me have second look at the multi hull.

I have read a lot of postings on different forums relating to multi hulls and it seems everyone has a different idea on whats best for off shore cruising, What are the most important things to look for .

ie; Bridgedeck clearance, Weight, ETC ??

One thing I have noticed is the weight the variance is amazing and this would have a great relation to speed , Interested to here what the pro's regard as the most important aspects to look for and I am looking in the 45-48' range

Old 01-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Admiral

Hello Kiwi,

Click on this forum's sponsor = articles by Phil Berman well worth digesting, some of your questions may be answered.

For sure, Bridge deck clearance is so important for the quiet life.

The ability to average 200 nm every day.

Windows and ports that are designed to minimize the amount of sunlight and resultant heat.

Cockpit of a good size. max 2 toilets. sail controls back to cockpit

Just a start

Richard

Old 01-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hello Kiwi,

Richard
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the link to the multihull co. I watched there video, Interesting, One thing is there a data base where you can look up things like bridgedeck clearance the reason for the question is that I like the leopard 47, Weight is good when compared to others of the same size but how do you find out the bridge deck clearance???? Not only for the leopard but others

Kiwi
Old 01-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Admiral

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a single data base for info on this important clearance measurement - In fact when brokers and builders provide so called 'full specifications' the one measurement nearly always missing is the bridge deck clearance measurement!

Another caveat is that when a clearance is provided - for example, there will be no indication if 30 inches (762 mm) is given as the clearance without its full designed payload or with

WITH is what is wanted, ie .. full tanks, provisions and normal cruiser's clobber etc.

I have written to builders and brokers asking this question, surprise - one gets different answers.

I suggest that if you are interested in a specific boat - that the seller is asked to go and measure the clearance etc..

Richard
Old 02-08-2009, 04:30 AM   #5
Ensign

Come to Australia as an expat I have had French Cats and AU cats. My current is 45 foot Schionning weighing in at 6.5 ton compare that to french or south african cat. Diesels, fridge, freezer all the goodies. 750mm bridgedeck clearance. Most OZ designs are one offs. But still cost less than production boats. They can be built to Survey for charter work. Some designers are Schionning, Grainger, Ligthwave, Stallion Marine. I am not happy now if I am not dueing 10knots up winds and off the wind 15 to 17knots in moderate seas. In heavy sees I slow down to keep comfort zone good. Seldom do you hear a bang on the bridgedeck. Hard to beat an Aussie boat for performance and price.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Ensign

What is the forums opinion between inboard motors [diesel] verses outboard motors [petrol].

It would seem: thrust, weight, ease of maintenance and accessibility, would lean toward the outboard.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by minefield View Post
I have been a mono man all my life and now reading some of the blog's written by cat owners is making me have second look at the multi hull.

I have read a lot of postings on different forums relating to multi hulls and it seems everyone has a different idea on whats best for off shore cruising, What are the most important things to look for .

One thing I have noticed is the weight the variance is amazing and this would have a great relation to speed , Interested to here what the pro's regard as the most important aspects to look for and I am looking in the 45-48' range
This is a good article called, "Good Cat/Bad Cat". Covers many aspects of cats and I found it a good starting point for myself. I saw the light and have switched frow "stinkpotter to blow boater"

http://www.bayacht.com/goodbad.htm
Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
What is the forums opinion between inboard motors [diesel] verses outboard motors [petrol].

It would seem: thrust, weight, ease of maintenance and accessibility, would lean toward the outboard.
The question asked - does not give the size of the catamaran - therefore no appropriate answer can be given.

However, IF the Catamaran is designed for cruising offshore and is say plus/minus 38ft, then inboard engines will specified by the designers. In all probability the fuel will be diesel - carrying gasoline (petrol) in sufficient quantities in bilge tanks, not recommended.

In small catamarans, outboards certainly have a place in terms of reducing drag - when they are lifted.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 AM   #9
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevehalter View Post
Hard to beat an Aussie boat for performance and price.
There are some excellent Aussie boat designer [Tony Grainger etc] and even more excellent [Cat] boat manufactures / builders [Seawind], and I agree they are hard to beat in performance.

. . . However, from my observations cats in Australia by the large part are much overpriced compared to the world stage. Depending on the strength of the AU$ I would always at least look and compare overseas and do the sums on buying local or importing

PS - I'm from the land downunder
Old 03-21-2009, 02:09 AM   #10
Ensign

Thank you and appreciate your time. . .

Until recently, if asked about inboard/outboard, as a natural response and without thought or reasoning; I would pick inboard diesels, but have now read a couple of article very much pro outboards.

The first article dealt with hypothetical situations in cruising and was general in pointing out design issues or considerations. The second article was specifically dealing with cruising in a Seawind 1000 which is approx 34'. The owner actually changed the original specified diesel inboards for outboards. You got the feeling he would do the same even if it was 40'.

Another issue beside the ones already stated was the actual placement of inboard diesel [normal below the rear bunks]. The only reason [and it is a compelling reason] that I have seen for inboard diesel motors is the safety factor of the diesel fuel.

. . . If I have some luck I am seriously looking at the Seawind 1060, which is 38'
Old 03-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
Admiral

Ruby,

Diesel Outboards would be an option, for a genuine cruising catamaran of say 34ft - BUT diesel outboards are heavy - Yanmar made the D series (up to 36 Hp) also a 20 hp and 10 hp, unfortunately they stopped production.

There is a Chinese diesel outboard - not sure of its specs or if it is in production.

Richard

Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 AM   #12
Ensign

Home Port: Cape Canaveral
Vessel Name: Day Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
One disadvantage of outboards is maintenance underway. If you have problems at sea, it is much easier and safer to be working inside the boat rather than hanging on to the outside of it.

Of course, one of the advantages of outboards is that there is supposed to be a lot less of this type of work...
Old 07-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Ensign

Home Port: Nuuk
Vessel Name: La Gitana

Having had Pivers before, I find a daggerboard cat to be superior in all respects - esp upwind sailing. I am currently looking for a green motion boat (ie diesel - electric) which cuts down the engine weight dramatically.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:51 AM   #14
Ensign

Home Port: Poole

Quote:
Originally Posted by minefield View Post

Hi I am Which Cat Multi here,

I give the designers answers to all your questions, what size, how heavy/Light, Mast height/sail area/self Tacking/Daggers/Skeggs, you name it I tell you what the Designer think.

You have 6 to 10 Design options to consider and about 4 to 6 Comfort options. Most Cats have the storage but, what about this - that or the other do you need to consider.

I have a Website but your best to email me in case the Forum do not like this approach. whichcat.multi@gmail.com

Regards

wcm268

Tags
catamaran