Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Cruising Crew Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Crew needed from Indonesia to South Africa

Hello,

I'm Rolf Brink and sailing around the world from The Netherlands with my wife. We are currently located in SE Asia and are going to prepare for the next passages towards South Africa via Kokos Keeling and Mauritius. I will be doing these passages without my wife and therefore need some extra hands. The passages will take about 2 months from Indonesia to South Africa with a total distance of about 3600 miles.
Departure will be on September 21st and arrival in South Africa is scheduled for mid november.

Total stay on board would end up at around 2 months. Some experience is required and that should be at least competent crew equivalent since there is no training involved. As soon as we sail out of Indonesia, we are on the first passage and we don't turn around.

The ship is an Amel Super Maramu, 16 m Ketch which has been fully upgraded and modified by myself. Crewing is based on shared cost for provisioning only. Fuel and ship maintenance costs are mine. You will have to organize and pay for your own transportation to get to Indonesia.

Just drop me an email with a short description of your experience and references if applicable. Only serious applicants will be considered.

I will be flying home from South Africa for 1 or 2 months and if all goes well, there will be an opening for the next legs as well. That would involve rounding Cape Hope and the passages towards the Canary Islands from South Africa via St Helena, Ascension Island, Cape Verdes and possibly NW Africa.

Cheers!

Rolf
sailing yacht Helena

Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Good luck with your trip. Please let us know how it goes.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Scotland Island
Default crew needed

Hello Rolf,

I am very interested in possible crewing positions. I have had plenty of experience (probably about 30,000 miles). Most of it has been on my own boat sailing around the S. Pacific or crewing or skippering delivery boats. Although I am experienced I am always surprised how the electronic side of sailing keeps many steps ahead of me.

I live on an island north of Sydney. It is easy to get to Indonesia from here.
Thanks,
Paul Kinnison
Scotland Island, NSW
Old 06-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
Ensign

Hi,
How it has been your experience finding crew. I'm organizing a large cruising for year 2013 and I would like to have the option of having crew available. However, I am nervous of sailing with someone that I have just met. Do you have experience to share?
Thanks,
Old 06-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
ran
Ensign

Home Port: adeje

Hello my name is Randi Cuppini I have previously sailed a half years on a sailing ship in 1989, since I have taken maritime college in 1990 after which I have sailed north Europe coaster in 1994 I got a daughter and has only worked in the country side. Now I am living at Teneriffe and would love to sail again. If you need a hard-working and interested crew on the tour from november I would love to hear from you cuppini@live.dk
Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: San Miguel de Allende
Default Crew position...

Hello Rolf,

My Name is Jeff. I am intrigued by your itinerary and the possibility of sailing to new parts of the globe. I am a Chiropractor by profession, which may be useful. I lived for thirteen years in Europe, nearly four of those sailing single-handed and living aboard my ten meter sailing boat, mostly in the Mediterranean.
Unfortunately, I had to sell her seven years ago due to financial constraints at the time. I obtained my Day Skipper qualification through the British Royal Yachting Association in 2001.
I am very easy going, love adventure, and am thoroughly happy at sea. I've always wanted to sail aboard an Amel Super Maramu, a French friend of mine always said they were a dream to sail.

I eagerly await your reply if you wish to consider me for a crew position. Thank You!
Jeff akins
Old 06-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
Ensign

Rolf,

Finding the right crew is not always easy. I climb a lot and get most of my crew from climbing and sailing friends or from recommendations from others. One crew member claimed to not get sea sick and was a good cook. During the two month delivery she didn't cook once and was christened "princess puke". First hand interviews are the best. My wife, who normally sails with me, and I have rejected a few that we feared might be dishonest or into drugs. Anyone with a lot of adventure or sailing experience are good. Trades people that can actually fix things are good.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Ensign

Default Crew

Dag Rolf,
ik ben een Vlaming, ik bevind me nu in Borneo- Miri.
Ikzelf heb een Hallberg Rassy 35', en wil meer ervaring opdoen.
Kaartlezen, navigeren, de radio bedienen enz.. is geen probleem.
Ik heb ook m'n competent crew brevet behaald in Australie.
Je hoeft niet eens m'n retour ticket te betalen van Z-Afrika.
Ik ben een niet roker, niet drinker.
Als je interesse hebt contacteer me op < mbu745@gmail.com.
Groeten.
Willy
Old 06-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Ensign

Hi Gianluca,

Sure, I have plenty of experience to share if you want. Just drop me a private message with your email address and I'll answer all your questions. Finding crew is not hard, but you want to stay on your toes and you need to know what you're looking for.

Cheers!
Rolf
Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #10
Ensign

Hello all,

The departure date from SE Asia has changed. We are now looking at around September 7th .

Cheers!
Rolf
Old 06-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #11
Ensign

Hi Rolf,

I sent you a couple of emails but am unsure whether you got them. The email address that you sent me did not work on my computer. You can email me at paulkinnison@hotmail.com or call me in Australia on 02 99976017. I am up to the point of buying tickets to escape winter in Sydney. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks,Paul
Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #12
Ensign

Home Port: Sydney

Hi Rolf,

Im interested in your trip, I live in Australia moved here from South Africa, a few months ago with my wife, we have been looking at buying our own boat to do the trip to S.A, however think it might be good to do it with someone.

If you are keen please let me know as I could help with costs also as crew.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
Ensign

Default This passage

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for all your replies. I would like to inform you that I am selecting the crew this week, so if you are still interested, sign up now by sending me as much info as possible about your skills, experience and anything else you can think of. I expect to have a final crew set by July 7th.

Sincerely,
Rolf Brink
Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 AM   #14
Ensign

Default Gewoon informatie.

Dag Rolf,
intussen ben je natuurlijk al op weg naar Europa.
Ikzelf ben een Vlaming en wil volgend jaar van Indonesia naar Zuid-Afrika, en in 2015 van Kaapstad naar Europa, in thuis zijn met de boot voor het groot schoolverlof.
Omdat jij al in Europa ben- veronderstel ik- had ik graag informative gehad aangaande de oversteken, en ook waar jij je informative vandaan halde.
Ik heb het boek van Jimmy Cornell, maar het lijkt me te vaag, zeker wat betreft de passage van de doldrums in West-Afrika.
Vriendelijke groeten.
Willy
Old 09-13-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
Ensign

Home Port: lerryn
Smile crew

Dear Rob
I am very interested in joining you on this trip
I am from THe Hague but have lived in Cornwall for the past 21 years Now my children have grown up I have plenty of time on my hands
I have some experience and certainly the will to learn .
I hope you can get back to me asap so I can make arrangements to fly out in time
kind regards
Deanne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYHelena View Post
Hello,

I'm Rolf Brink and sailing around the world from The Netherlands with my wife. We are currently located in SE Asia and are going to prepare for the next passages towards South Africa via Kokos Keeling and Mauritius. I will be doing these passages without my wife and therefore need some extra hands. The passages will take about 2 months from Indonesia to South Africa with a total distance of about 3600 miles.
Departure will be on September 21st and arrival in South Africa is scheduled for mid november.

Total stay on board would end up at around 2 months. Some experience is required and that should be at least competent crew equivalent since there is no training involved. As soon as we sail out of Indonesia, we are on the first passage and we don't turn around.

The ship is an Amel Super Maramu, 16 m Ketch which has been fully upgraded and modified by myself. Crewing is based on shared cost for provisioning only. Fuel and ship maintenance costs are mine. You will have to organize and pay for your own transportation to get to Indonesia.

Just drop me an email with a short description of your experience and references if applicable. Only serious applicants will be considered.

I will be flying home from South Africa for 1 or 2 months and if all goes well, there will be an opening for the next legs as well. That would involve rounding Cape Hope and the passages towards the Canary Islands from South Africa via St Helena, Ascension Island, Cape Verdes and possibly NW Africa.

Cheers!

Rolf
sailing yacht Helena

Tags
africa, cape hope, cocos keeling, crew needed, indian ocean passage, indonesia, mauritius, south africa