Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Ensign

My father left me a catamaran in his will. It is now in Belize with some people who said they wanted to buy it but haven't paid anything in 18th months. The american executor says it is mine ( the people with the boat agree it is mine) and agree that the best solution is for me to get it an sail it back to UK. I have been made redundant and think this is the perfect opportunity to do something different with my life, but have minimal (30' cruiser and then small sea going yaught). I don't have any qualifications so am looking for qualified/experienced crew to lead on bringing the catamaran back to England with a couple of novice crew. Sometime next year (weather permitting) would be good.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Admiral

Who is taking care of the boat in Belize? It's not exactly the ideal place to leave a boat unattended. Have you seen the boat at all these past 18 months?

I am worried that those people who said they wanted to buy it might have stripped the boat of everything of value by now. Your first task is to be sure it's secure, and that it has the gear necessary to make a transatlantic crossing. Getting the boat ready, after all this time sitting idle, will probably take you several months at the very least, and if there has been a procession of "salvors" on the boat, it might cost many thousands of dollars to get it ready.

If you are not particularly knowledgeable, you might consider hiring a professional captain, and go with him to the boat to survey it before committing to taking it anywhere. It will be quite warm down there, so you might want to take a nice winter vacation in the coming months to visit the boat. You should also line up officials and whomever might provide the legal clout you need to get the boat out of there.

I would hope that I'm wrong, but worry that I'm not.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post

Who is taking care of the boat in Belize? It's not exactly the ideal place to leave a boat unattended. Have you seen the boat at all these past 18 months?

I am with JeanneP get the vessel secured before buying your airfare ! What are the make/specifications of the cat and how up-to-date is the inventory - perhaps you can get her surveyed and inventoried by a 3rd party YOU trust (ie not a local who knows the people aboard personally)

The world is full of people who assumed all was well and then got 3 mile off-shore & OOPS ???

Kris
Old 03-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post

I am worried that those people who said they wanted to buy it might have stripped the boat of everything of value by now. Your first task is to be sure it's secure, and that it has the gear necessary to make a transatlantic crossing. Getting the boat ready, after all this time sitting idle, will probably take you several months at the very least, and if there has been a procession of "salvors" on the boat, it might cost many thousands of dollars to get it ready.

If you are not particularly knowledgeable, you might consider hiring a professional captain, and go with him to the boat to survey it before committing to taking it anywhere. It will be quite warm down there, so you might want to take a nice winter vacation in the coming months to visit the boat. You should also line up officials and whomever might provide the legal clout you need to get the boat out of there.

Ha!! Welcome to the world of boat ownership! Apart from the costs of getting her ready to bring back over to UK, you will probably have VAT to pay when you arrive!

Having said that: Tell us a bit more about the boat: What make and size cat? What year? Was it in charter service down there (eg with Moorings or TMM) or has it always been prvate? Did your father have it from new? What state are the maintenance records/log in?

Getting out of Belize is a bit of a flog to start with - you are against the prevailing winds and initially a slightly unhelpful current. Depending on the state the boat is in, you may have to get it to somewhere a bit more "civilised" than Belize - which is not exactly noted for its boat maintenance skills or supply of necessary spare parts.

I can actually help with all of this as I'm a bit closer than you are and know the area and the boating scene there. So, for example, I could go and inspect the boat for you, report on it and if she is moveable, get her to, well - anywhere you like really, but I would suggest the Virgin Islands (where I live) to outfit her in slower time for the trip.]

However you do it, I have to say it aint gonna be cheap!

best of luck, Tony
Old 05-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Hiawassee

Tony:
if the situation becomes difficult due to intransigence on the part of the people who want to buy the boat but have not paid then let me know and we can possibly persuade them to assist in getting the boat out of there.
Diego

Tags
catamaran