Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Multihull Club
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
Ensign

Lagoon 440 and the 56 Pajot ( 2001 )

I like both boats ( have not been on either of them ) but so far been doing my homework and it is between these two.

Going to do Day charters only ( in mexico ) Plz anybody that knows these two boats would Love your input !!!

Thank you !!!!!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
Ensign

Hola, any body out there ?

Lagoon 440 or pajot 56

Help................................. me w/ good or bad on each boat.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllycat View Post

Hola, any body out there ?

Lagoon 440 or pajot 56

Help................................. me w/ good or bad on each boat.
Huge difference in size - therefore comparison not of much value. Whereas 2 fit people can handle the 44 - the 56 is a very much bigger boat in every way - including the cost of purchase and the maintenance and running costs.

If to get a better appreciation compare Lagoons with Leopards of a like size and age, and compare the FP with say the Outremer.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Huge difference in size - therefore comparison not of much value. Whereas 2 fit people can handle the 44 - the 56 is a very much bigger boat in every way - including the cost of purchase and the maintenance and running costs.

If to get a better appreciation compare Lagoons with Leopards of a like size and age, and compare the FP with say the Outremer.
What do you think of the regenerative electric engines for the Lagoon 440? I have read a few reviews that propound the virtues but nothing that really engages a critical analysis. I should think that I am all for electric engines as long as I don't need them to save my life. I see the critical flaw for long distance as being "will the batteries have enough power to maintain propulsion for an extended period if I require them in a storm..." I suppose the counter arguement could be you could also run out of petrol. I wonder what the running time of these batteries would be at full throttle?

Ottawa, Canada
KevinBarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBarr View Post

What do you think of the regenerative electric engines for the Lagoon 440? I have read a few reviews that propound the virtues but nothing that really engages a critical analysis. I should think that I am all for electric engines as long as I don't need them to save my life. I see the critical flaw for long distance as being "will the batteries have enough power to maintain propulsion for an extended period if I require them in a storm..." I suppose the counter arguement could be you could also run out of petrol. I wonder what the running time of these batteries would be at full throttle?
Hi Kevin, I have no personal knowledge of the system they use -- However, they have not been a success in a slack market environment -- Check UWE's Topic and info on the subject C L ( C K
Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Hi Kevin, I have no personal knowledge of the system they use -- However, they have not been a success in a slack market environment -- Check UWE's Topic and info on the subject C L ( C K
Great minds, etc.. etc.. that was exactly the article that got me thinking in this direction. It says that they have about 40 minutes under full throttle which in my, admittedly uniformed, opinion seems a little short...? After which all of the electricals will have run dry. On the other hand he has a genny to top up power.

It would be interesting to hear from folks how often, while cruising offshore, they really needed their engines and for how long. It may be an apples and oranges kind of comparission (with some folks sailing different times/waters) but still interesting. My thoughts run towards whether an electric is desirable when you are using a genny anyways. I guess it is just for those rare times when you actually do need it...

And sorry for having high-jacked this thread.

Ottawa, Canada
KevinBarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
Admiral

More on the "will batteries have enough power to maintain propulsion..." In short, no.

Reading the info on the Lagoon 440, it seems that the electricity for propulsion will be provided by a generator - pretty much as is done on US Coast Guard Ice Breakers. The batteries can drive the boat for a short time without the generator, but certainly not for long periods. Alternate electric generation, with solar panels and wind generators, would probably decrease the fuel consumption somewhat, but not entirely.

In the long run I guess you would consider the reliability of the generator in pretty much the same way as you might look at a diesel engine.

I posted some comments regarding a novice's purchase of an electric Lagoon 440, HERE - I didn't really say it outright, but I felt that the man's inexperience was probably his greatest problem, and his inflammatory comments to me, which I didn't repeat here, struck me as anger at others which should possibly have been directed to himself instead. I think, though, that the huge weight of the batteries on the Lagoon has to negatively affect the performance of the catamaran, and as enamored as I thought I was about electric engines, I think there's still a lot to do before they are a viable alternative to the diesel engine. Better to have a boat that sails well rather than rely totally on engines - my take, anyway.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon