Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-26-2009, 04:04 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi Im a newby. I have a 24ft yacht. The solar panel is mounted on the Fwd hatch, which of course when the hatch open it dont see much sun. Let alone standing on it while working the deck. I am looking at putting an arch on the stern to carry it and my aerials.

Is there interference between GPS and the VHF aerials? Im planning the panel midships with the aerials one at each side. the whole lot about 3ft in length. Ta

Old 10-26-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard.

There is a whole lot of difference between the GPS and VHF aerials. They are not interchangeable and I am sure MMNETSEA will be along in a while to tell us why. He is our "resident expert" on all things to do with radio signals.

On the other hand, VHF and AIS aerials are the same. In fact you can use the same one for both functions using a splitter.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
Admiral

Hello Steve,

As Stephen has mentioned there is no similarity between the antennas required for Marine VHF radio communication and for Global Positioning Satellite equipment.

Marine VHF radio utilise 88 Channels in the (Very High Frequency) range 156.050 <> 157.425 MHz

to communicate between VHF radios (Both hand held and base station)

While AIS use 2 Channels in the VHF range 161.975 <> 162.025 MHz

GPS uses the frequency range 1575 - 1580 MHz to communicate with satellites.

When it comes to antennas, The antenna for a marine VHF radio on a sailboat should be mounted as high as is possible, as transmission relies on line of sight between radios. Therefore, the antenna is usually mounted on a mast head. Also important will be the line feed between the radio and its antenna (RG 8 is recommended)

The Antenna for a GPS should have an undisturbed view of the sky (no mast , sails , biminis dodgers etc in the way) Often the GPS will be supplied with a short antenna, best to get a recommended extension antenna for the specific model.

Richard
Old 10-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Ensign

Thank you Stephen and Richard. Very imformative. The Gear is going on the arch where there is no restriction to signal. (except my fat head in the cockpit). The VHF I must admit will act as a safety net as I also have an aerial up the mast top. Where are you all. I live in Whangarei in New Zealand as a Slipmaster/ Shipwright. Living in paradise we say but looking forward to seeing more areas and experiences and meet you all. Steve
Old 10-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
Admiral

Steve,

Spent some time in your Fang-Er-Ray with the late Malcom Tennant - the very talented Multihull designer - he designed the Dagger boards for one of my Multihulls. I have cruising friends

Drs. George and Ellen Latham who have returned to Whangarei with Winddancer.

I am located in the far east of Thailand on the border with Laos. Stephen is on the far west of Spain in Vigo.

Richard

P.S. Is Whangarei still the boat building capital of NZ ??
Old 10-27-2009, 03:31 AM   #6
Ensign

Hi yes it is still the best We have a 65mt superyacht on a mega million dollar makeover. Trouble with the additions it looks worse than when it arrived, and more dangerous. She arrived march and will be still here Christmas. We have the Large Tuna boats from Samoa starting to come back to us again. Up in the slip at mo we have a large 2200 ton tuna ship. Looks like we might have another 4 coming as well as an extension of another. Our slip booked ahead to Aug next year and filling in fast. Elsewhere there it went quiet but yes it starting up again. To a degree we have dragged Fang-Er-Ray thru the reccession, Yeehaa. By the way love the spelling!!!!!! My brother is based in Vietnam working in an Indian oil feild a month at a time Loves it. He designing the sub seas installations. Head banging stuff to me Im afraid but fasinating. Steve

Tags
gps, vhf