Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-07-2006, 03:10 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50
Default Commitment Point for Circumnavigation

This is our first posting at Cruiser Log and we (Lori & Ken) would like to thank everyone at this site for the insightful and very enjoyable array of links, articles and resources for those who plan to go cruising. We have been visiting this site for almost a year now while planning our departure from Long Beach, California headed for what we hope will be a wonderfully fulfilling experience in an effort to complete a circumnavigation.

We will be sailing our Del Rey 50’ cutter rig which has undergone a massive 5 year total refit in preparation for this journey. With only 25 months remaining before our planned departure date, the reality of the event is starting to consume our everyday life. Besides the hours of day dreaming at work, we are gathering charts, reading every available book on circumnavigation, speadsheeting budgets, and updating “The List” of final need to have items. We are even collecting an enormous library of music, DVD movies and television programs which should last 3 years without a repeat!

At the present time, we have a rough idea of our route which will take us down the Baja during the Baja Haha to Cabo San Lucas in November. Our major point of discussion at this time is our jump-off point. Should we head for the Mexican mainland and down to Costa Rica across to Galapagos or directly for the Marquesas? Venturing further down the Central American mainland seems to be a means of delaying the commitment to the circumnavigation. Does anyone have recommendations or experience with this decision?

Old 09-07-2006, 04:26 AM   #2
imported_admin

Welcome aboard!

I'm sure that someone will be along shortly with all the information you need.

Fair winds and please keep us posted as you progress.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
Admiral

Thank you for the reply...

Also, Puerto Vallarta is the third option. I’m very interested in wind and travel time as well as season for those that have made the big jump.

Any insight from experienced sailors is welcomed!
Old 09-07-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

You really don't want to miss the Galapagos islands. They are one of the most unique places you can get to in a sail boat , and well worth going out of your way. We sailed to them in 2003, and at that time they were giving arriving cruisers a one month limited cruising permit (you were only allowed to sail in certain areas without a guide.) We only stayed a week, and I regret not staying longer - my next trip around I may try to make up for it.

The leg to the Marquesa islands is a long one, and it is good to have a little open water sea time in your boat before you start out for the three+ week trip.

If you get to the Galapagos, do visit lonesome George - he likes the company.

Fair winds
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:20 PM   #5
Admiral

Thank you for your response. And yes, the Galapagos would be the primary reason to skirt the mainland before making the jump. We figured we could visit everything else on the way back.

How were the sailing conditions in route to the Marquesas? How often did you find yourself motoring? What time of year did you make the crossing?

Sorry for the mass of questions...
Old 09-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #6
Commander

We left Panama in Mid February, and took about a week to reach the Galapagos. We had reasonable winds the whole way, but motored about two hours a day to keep the fridge cold. We spent about one week in the Galapagos (minor note: make sure you have good antifouling. You wouldn't believe how quick the growth occurs on the hull in those waters.)

We sailed out from the Galapagos with variable winds, and ended up motoring for most of two days to get to S5. From there we picked up the trades and again only motored for two hours a day for the fridge. We made it to Nuka Hiva in 25 days - in a 45' Benateau. We were on a run / broad reach the whole way. A lovely sail.

I'd be happy to give you a list of some of the nicest places to visit in the south pacfic, but I'm sure everyone else here would be happy to help you with that too... Feel free to ask.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:58 AM   #7
Admiral

Thank you so much for your reply. This type of information is a great help for planning fuel consumption and sail requirements.

Should we be fully provisioned before the Galapagos to make the trip to Marquesas? I've been getting conflicting insight on this.

When you get into the trades, does the wind hold through the night?

Also, we would really enjoy hearing your recommended placed in the South Pacific!

Where are you located now?

Cheers,

Ken & Lori
Old 09-09-2006, 01:02 AM   #8
Admiral

Ah...I just realized that your signature says "Currently in Croatia".
Old 09-09-2006, 01:16 AM   #9
Admiral

Wow, just checked your CV...you're liven my dream!

I'm sitting here in my office with 50 engineers knocking on my door every five minutes as I day dream of getting outa this place. The months can't go by fast enough.[V]

My project is located at:

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/trim50/
Old 09-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #10
Commander

My Info on the Galapagos will be a little dated, from 2003 but at that time you could provision fairly well there. Yacht agents would come out to your boat in the anchorage and arrange to bunker, and water you. There were several good shops for fresh food in town. They use the american dollar as their currency, and most items were well bellow american prices. (Beer was surprisingly cheap.)

Jimmy Cornell's web site: www.noonsite.com may have more upto date information.

The pilot charts are the best source for exact information on where and when to find the trades. (http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/maritime/) We found they are roughly 24/7 at 15 to 25 (like I said before - a lovely sail.) If anything they tend to freshen a bit at night.

Took a look at your blog, and you have done quite the project on Trim. Excellent work on the deck. Although if you hadn't said you were an engineer I would have guessed it from the costed BOM's on your blog. (You supervise 50 engineers? Man you are living my nightmare - been there, done that - burned the t-shirt.)

You won't regret casting off when you do. Fair winds.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:23 AM   #11
Admiral

I just received my copy of Jimmy's World Cruising Routes yesterday from Amazon...can't put it down. What a great resource.

Yep, I'm a VP of Engineering for a start-up Fuel Cell company. If you know anything about fuel cells, then you know that I'm in need of a multi-year vacation. I tell everyone that my next job will be as a bar tender somewhere in the South Pacific. I can only hope[^]

Thanks for the info and I'll keep the blog updated as we get closer to departure.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:24 AM   #12
Commander

Another resource I would recommend would be Charlies Charts for Polynesia. ( http://www.charliescharts.com/ ) Great cruising guide, has info for Galapagos, and most of the rest of the south Pacific.

I like sitting at the bar, rather than standing behind it - which is why I went for Delivery Skipper as my second job. But good luck dishing suds...

I'll keep an eye on Trim. Fair winds

Tags
navigation