Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Power & Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-20-2008, 05:17 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi folks,

I've recently read somewhere about the existence of "GPS anchors" available on some pleasure craft. Whereas I understand the concept behind this wonderful development, I would love to hear comments on it from those of you who may have had first hand experience with it.

As a corollary, would something like this be worth installing as a retrofit? I have no idea of the costs involved in acquiring such stuff.

Thanks in advance.

- MP

Old 09-20-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Admiral

Hello MP,

I guess you are taking about the Fortress - which in fact has been around for some ten years at least. CascadeGPS

----------------------------------------

This link will take to discussions in our forums on anchors - including the fortress.

ANCHORS

If you have more questions - please come back here.

Richard

Old 09-20-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Ensign

Hi Richard,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
I guess you are taking about the Fortress - which in fact has been around for some ten years at least. CascadeGPS
Afraid not Richard. What i read was a system that utilized GPS satellites to "lock" a boat's position with a computer controlling throttles & thrusters to maintain position. No physical anchor was required.

- MP
Old 09-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Admiral

Well, if you had only mentioned that in the first place!

How does this 'system' function when everyone on our cruising yacht has furled the sails - turned the engine off - and is enjoying a quiet dinner in a peaceful anchorage?
Old 09-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

What about wind-shift/swell-shift, etc.? Could get really uncomfortable.

Give me an anchor anyday!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Well, if you had only mentioned that in the first place!
Sorry guys, just trying to understand a technology that I've briefly chanced upon ...
Old 09-20-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

I think that the simple answer may well be that this technology would not be suitable for a cruising yacht. Interesting concept though!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

I'm certainly no expert, but...

I believe what we're talking about here is "Dynamic Positioning" a system which has been around for quite some time for station keeping. All are now interfaced with GPS. It's a method to keep a powerful vessel in one spot by use of computer controlled thrusters and main propulsion system.

Commonly used on research & oilfield vessels but completely inappropriate for a sailing vessel as it requires a ship-load of energy to "hover" in one spot for any length of time. I can immagine dynamic positioning as a new & trendy accessory on some of the newer lulury yachts as an aide for landing helicopters or fishing or watching sunsets or whatever it is the filthy rich do while idling away their time at sea.

GPS sure is a helpful tool for setting-up an anchor watch... especially when working in conjunction with a chart plotter.

To life!

Kirk
Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
Admiral

I worked with DP systems a while back on a multi-support vessel. We used it when divers were down working on the seabed around platforms in the North Sea. GPS was not accurate enough nor was it safe enough for this kind of work so we placed a transponder on a rig and used that to as the DP's referance point.

As for the filthy rich - well that is a lifestyle I know nothing about nor am I likely to.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
Ensign

Hi Kirk,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanters View Post
I believe what we're talking about here is "Dynamic Positioning" a system which has been around for quite some time for station keeping. All are now interfaced with GPS. It's a method to keep a powerful vessel in one spot by use of computer controlled

<snip>

newer lulury yachts as an aide for landing helicopters or fishing or watching sunsets or whatever it is the filthy rich do while idling away their time at sea.

GPS sure is a helpful tool for setting-up an anchor watch... especially when working in conjunction with a chart plotter.
Firstly, thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.

However, I don't completely agree that it's only for the "filthy rich" ... the article I chanced upon was for a 40' yacht that offered a joystick control with GPS anchor as an option. The craft was running IPS engines and no thrusters.

Perhaps this technology is derived from really expensive systems that used to be installed on mega yachts or ships, but only in concept. I think the advance in computers has made it much more accessible to smaller boats.

My two cents worth ...

Thanks.

- MP
Old 12-27-2008, 04:24 AM   #11
Ensign

I saw one vessel using this system in Bermuda in October, 2007. The boat was Octopus owned by Paul Allen. WARNING - the link to to a PowerPoint.

Jack

CYA Advanced Cruising Instructor

As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
Admiral

I'm just curious as to the reason that a cruising yacht would want such a system. *Run one's engines to stay in one place when dropping an anchor is less complicated, quieter, and somewhat less prone to failure. *Who wants to sit in one place for several hours with a noisy engine running if there's an alternative - i.e., anchoring?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #13
Admiral

In my case, Jeanne, we used the DP system in about 300 feet of water, where anchoring would not have worked due to the scope of the rode as the diving bell would not remain sufficiently stable to ensure the safety of the divers.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #14

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Interesting technology for a MOTOR cruiser or commercial vessel. As far as I can see, totally inappropriate for a SAILING cruiser. Anchoring in deep water is indeed difficult and staying in one location might be appropriate for a mission-driven trip (e.g. scientific research or commercial endeavors) but makes little sense for the cruiser.

If the cruiser wishes to stay in a general locale of very deep water without making way...well, one can pretty easily heave to, right? Yes, there's drift with it but it does work pretty nicely and doesn't use any energy

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, gps