Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-12-2009, 04:09 AM   #1
Ensign

We are headed for the Keys during the Thanksgiving time frame. Our recently purchased boat is in Ft Lauderdale so we thought we would go down to Miami area and stay at "no name harbor" for a day or so and then point her to somewhere in the Keys. I would like to anchor out close to a beach and nightlife if that exists? This will be our first trip to the Keys so all information and suggestions would be welcome and appreciated. We will have about 7-9 days so where should we go and what shall we see!

Our boat is a Vagabond 47 with 5 1/2' draft.

I look forward to everyone's suggestions.

Gary

S/V Raven - Vagabond 47

Vagabond 47 MKII
Waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:34 AM   #2
Ensign

The Hawk Channel is well mark all the way to Key west. Anchorage at Key LArgo (Rodriguez Key not real good holding but can be done) with an easy dingy ride into Key Largo for restaurants and night life. You can also walk to the Largo shopper for groceries. Molasses reef for snorkeling.

We like Bahia Honda park farther south for its beauty. http://www.bahiahondapark.com/

Boot Key at MArathon is the ultimate anchorage headed south with a municipal mooring field and full services for the cruiser. There are at least two marinas but 47 foot might be a problem. I got an IP380 into Burdines but still don't know how I did it.

Night life is everywhere in the Keys. Get a guide book. The one by Frank Papy is good.

http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Guide-Flori...k/dp/096198385X

Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Ensign

I would also recommend Marathon. Several bars/resturants with dingy docks. There is also a nice beach.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
I would also recommend Marathon. Several bars/resturants with dingy docks. There is also a nice beach.
Thank you for your suggestions, I will use these suggestions when planning our trip.

How about the Bahamas? what time of year is the best time to go? and where?

Vagabond 47 MKII
Waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
Commander

Check out www.tendervittles.net or www.theconchhorn.com/dreamcatcher for information on the Bahamas. They've been cruising the Bahamas exclusively for a few years and their logs are a wealth of information. They are also easy to reach via e-mail.

Tags
anchor, florida