Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Cincinnati
Default New to cruising

Good day all. Although I'm 20 years or so away from retirement, I'm contemplating the idea of living on a boat and cruising the east coast to the southern Caribbean. I have zero sailing experience, but that can be changed. I'm leaning more towards powered boats, but wind sailing is intriguing. It will likely be 2 adults and a pet 90% of the time, but will host family and friends on occasion. I'm hopeful that this site will help me get my feet wet, pun intended....

Old 12-30-2015, 02:09 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome aboard! Enjoy reading the forums and contribute or ask questions where you can.

Is your work something that will allow you to become a nomad and take off before 20 years pass?

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Hamilton
Default Willing to Share

Hi Flack,
I have more than 6,000 miles of cruising experience in the Great Lakes and the North Atlantic. I've crewed on several boats on lengthy passages; researched sailboats, purchased an Alberg 29 & refitted it over three years for a trans-Atlantic crossing; transited the Erie Canal, the Welland Canal, the US Intra-Coastal Waterway and the St. Lawrence Seaway more than once. I have a lot to share and I sold my Alice Rose, so I'm missing cruising.
UnionJack
Old 01-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

Welcome aboard. Also please take a look in our sister board, a wiki with port information maintained by fellow cruisers.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: Oriental
Vessel Name: Starjewel

You're in the same "boat" I am. I'm just a few years ahead of you. I'll be retiring in 2 years 5 months and 21 days, but who's counting. I'm originally from the Cincinnati area, just across the river in Newport. Hope to see you out there.

S/V Unwrittentimeline
Unwrittentimeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: Seattle

Smart of you to be thinking that far ahead! That wiki is pretty helpful if you need some initial guidance.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #7
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

If you need any help in the wiki please let me know.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Adelaide

All the best I hope to do the same but only 4 years to get it all together
Old 03-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #9
2 Peas in a Pod

Home Port: Scorpion Bay Marina in AZ
Vessel Name: Overboard
Default 4 weeks and counting

In 4 weeks my husband and I along with our 8 year old pug Jasper will finally get to live on our boat that we just purchased yesterday. This has been a life long dream of mine to live on a boat. I'm SO excited, but all the work to get there is so stressful. Have to sell everything and down size a lot, I love living small so I thin k I will do just fine and hubby has grown up on boats all his life. I think the only issue will be out pug and getting him to do his business in the boat. Any advise for that?

Thanks
Kim
Old 03-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #10
Ensign

Home Port: Oriental
Vessel Name: Starjewel

Glad to hear you're almost ready to take off. We also currently have a dog, but aren't planning on going too far from shore with her. She's already 12 so we think she may pass before we set off in 2 years. If not we're looking at something like a PetZoom Pet Park Indoor Pet Potty for around $40 to put on the deck. You can search for it on Amazon. If you're going to have Jasper go on the boat I would start trying to train him early. You don't want too many accidents inside.

S/V Unwrittentimeline
Unwrittentimeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #11
2 Peas in a Pod

Home Port: Scorpion Bay Marina in AZ
Vessel Name: Overboard

Thanks for the information on the doggie potty. Sorry to hear that your fur baby wont be able to set sail with you. We had another pug Penny and she loved the boat, she was 16 when we finally had to put her down.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #12
Ensign

Home Port: Denia
Send a message via Skype™ to Free to explore
Post Motor yacht or catamaran

Hi folks, Im fairly new to the whole yachting and boating life as although I have sailed I've never lived on a yacht for extended periods. I am now retiring and am going to purchase a yacht but would like some advise. Which is better, a Motor yacht like a Nordhavn or Bering or a catamaran like the Nexus 601 . I am looking for a explorer to circumnavigate all the best diving islands and locations around the world with my wife and the occasional friends who will join us. Hence 4 cabins are needed, space for min 8 people, speed to cross oceans and avoid storms, low draft to get into the reefs and coastal areas. My budget is pretty open as is really dictated by the best yacht for the job. Any advice would be much appreciated!

That's quite a list.

What have you sailed before? What drives you towards wanting a motor yacht or a catamaran?

Large boats have large overhead associated with their care and feeding. 4 cabins--wow, unless you have a passle of children or plan on running a charter operation that's quite a bit. Friends often "want" to join trips but when it comes down to it, they often can't take the time away so you may find an empty nest on the water...

Tags
cruising