Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Turre
Default Has anyone used painted coatings with electrodes as a form of antifouling?

We have a 3 year old Dufour and the time is approaching for us to haul her out and antifoul her for the med waters.

She has previously been painted with Hempel antifouling but we had decided to take the plunge and coppercoat her this year for longevity. However someone mentioned a new system whereby you apply a paint with electrodes in it which causes a vibration that we cant feel but stops marine growth but didn't know more about it.

I can't find anything about it online. Does anyone know anything about it, if so please enlighten me as to who makes it and whether it works!

thanks

Old 02-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Haven't heard of it at all. We've used Coppercoat since 2009 and are quite pleased with it.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #3
Ensign

Default ultrasonic antifoul versus coppercoat?

Thank you, yes after more research it does seem he mean the ultrasonic systems. Aside from Jaycar which it appears you have to build yourself, including soldering contacts etc, (too advanced for my DIY skills) and uses 5.5A @ 12v, I have found 2 other companies:

Next generation electronic antifouling technology | UltraSonic Antifouling LtdUltraSonic Antifouling Ltd | Ultrasonic Antifouling for Powerboats, Motorboats, Sailboats & Superyachts ---- which, with 2 transducers for a 10-15m boat comes in around 1149 + vat, so 1390 with a 3 year warrantee and says it only uses 1.1A @12v
Smart Antifouling :: Smart Ultrasonic Antifouling which with 2 transducers as above, and a solar regulator at €810 + vat, so around 725 all in, with a 2 year warrantee and “average power consumption: 3W - 250mA at 12V’

All 3 companies have relatively few but all positive reviews, still need to refresh the anti-foul paint every 3-4 years.

But it is new technology, (no holes in the hull required by the way) and expensive so the question is, is it better to play safe and go with coppercoat?

Hempel seems to have come up with something new too… a Fouling Release coating called Silic One which uses a hydrogel which forms a smooth non-stick surface on the hull, making it difficult for fouling organisms to attach. The result is less drag in the water and lower fuel consumption – giving you a more efficient fleet and a superb return on your investment.” But it appears that if you take the boat out of the water during the winter, you will have reapply the top coat (no sanding down required though), it may last 2 years if left in the water… however aside from the potential benefits to the environment, I am not sure it benefits the boat owners financially that much! Also can’t find any reviews on it either….

So me thinks it is back to the decision between ultrasonic transducers or coppercoat… any recommendations?
Old 02-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantalAReed View Post
Thank you, yes after more research it does seem he mean the ultrasonic systems. Aside from Jaycar which it appears you have to build yourself, including soldering contacts etc, (too advanced for my DIY skills) and uses 5.5A @ 12v, I have found 2 other companies:

So me thinks it is back to the decision between ultrasonic transducers or coppercoat… any recommendations?
I can highly recommend the Jaycar kit. Current usage is far less than 5.5A, in fact more like 220mA average. The kit costs AU$260.00 which is much cheaper than other options listed.

On a fibreglass or steel yacht the internal installation is simple. It isn't supposed to work for ferro yachts but I made it work by simply fitting the transducer to a PVC pipe that hangs over the stern on a rope.

Optimum installation still requires a clean and antifoul before fitting, but a standard light annual cleaning lasts far longer as a result. I haven't seen any significant buildup of barnacles in almost two years, where previously you could have fed a family of hippies for a month off the growth on my hull.

Minor downside is that your HF radio will have funny blips and bloops audible, but you wouldn't normally run the antifouling system while on a passage anyhow.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:58 PM   #5
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
I can highly recommend the Jaycar kit. Current usage is far less than 5.5A, in fact more like 220mA average. The kit costs AU$260.00 which is much cheaper than other options listed.

On a fibreglass or steel yacht the internal installation is simple. It isn't supposed to work for ferro yachts but I made it work by simply fitting the transducer to a PVC pipe that hangs over the stern on a rope.

Optimum installation still requires a clean and antifoul before fitting, but a standard light annual cleaning lasts far longer as a result. I haven't seen any significant buildup of barnacles in almost two years, where previously you could have fed a family of hippies for a month off the growth on my hull.

Minor downside is that your HF radio will have funny blips and bloops audible, but you wouldn't normally run the antifouling system while on a passage anyhow.
thank you for the positive comments, the Jaycar kit looks really daunting.. is it, or could a DIY dummy piece (ie me!) it together ok. Are there instructions with it? thanks
Old 02-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I'd think one of the systems in conjunction with Coppercoat would be the ideal thing. All it seems to be doing is increasing the oxidation of the anti-fouling one has in place. Since the Coppercoat is a good anti-foul and the only problems it really seems to have is that it can go inert (with the wrong kinds of oxides) in muddy waters/high iron content, this combo might work very nicely.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #7
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantalAReed View Post
thank you for the positive comments, the Jaycar kit looks really daunting.. is it, or could a DIY dummy piece (ie me!) it together ok. Are there instructions with it? thanks
Instructions come with the kit, and they're very thorough. However I'd rate it as an intermediate level task to build this kit. Best bet would be to find a local electronics hobbyist and pay them to build it for you. I'd estimate a build time of four hours based on my experience with it, which in Australia would cost about $100 for labour.

Two notes for the eventual builder:

1. Do not turn the unit on with the transducer disconnected, the fuse will blow. This is outlined in the instructions but I missed it the first time.
2. These units generate LETHAL voltages. Connect all wiring to the board and assemble it into the case BEFORE testing. Don't even think of poking around with bare fingers while it's connected to 12 volts, ever.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Kerikeri
Vessel Name: Impreza

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Instructions come with the kit, and they're very thorough. However I'd rate it as an intermediate level task to build this kit. Best bet would be to find a local electronics hobbyist and pay them to build it for you. I'd estimate a build time of four hours based on my experience with it, which in Australia would cost about $100 for labour.

Two notes for the eventual builder:

1. Do not turn the unit on with the transducer disconnected, the fuse will blow. This is outlined in the instructions but I missed it the first time.
2. These units generate LETHAL voltages. Connect all wiring to the board and assemble it into the case BEFORE testing. Don't even think of poking around with bare fingers while it's connected to 12 volts, ever.
Seasons greetings haiqu . How well did your transducer in the PVC pipe work. Did it just hang freely in the water or does it need to touch the hull? My Trimaran is Glass over Ply construction.

Tags
antifoul