Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: Zarcero
Default Changing Country of Registry

I am a US citizen and am currently negotiating the purchase of a sailboat registered in the Netherlands.

I found a site that says I can keep that flag of registry without being a EU citizen. I have sent them an email for more information. Selling this service is their business, so I am asking for anyone who has experience with this for advice.

My preference would be to have it be a US flagged vessel, but I know that many ships and yachts are flagged in different countries for various reasons. This is mostly tax avoidance and I'm not talking a super yacht here.

The boat is a Cape Dory 28.

Do any of you have a vessel that is flagged in a country other that that of your citizenship? Has there been any downside?

I appreciate any help.

Tom

Old 10-15-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
Commander

Home Port: Royston

I saw a lot of small power boats in Mexico with Grand Cayman as their home port ,owned by US citizens. The Marshall Islands is another one, with easy access to the US.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:34 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Ballina
Vessel Name: Rondo III

For what its worth, Tom, I (Australian) used to own and run a British registered ship through Australia. Used to get much more interest from Customs, who severely discouraged coastal cruising (duty was more of a problem then) but no sense of doing anything wrong. My feeling is that the ship (like a corporation) has an identity and nationality of its own - and the owner is a separate entity. But the US is funny about these sort of issues!
Old 10-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
Lieutenant

Home Port: Zarcero

I think I have a handle on this.

I could keep the Dutch registry, but I don't like the method. It would involve forming a UK corporation and then using a company that would provide it with an address in Holland. This may be sort of legal, but does't sound simple to me.

I checked with the USCG and a hull number search found that the boat was never documented with them. I will have the seller remove the boat from Dutch registry. Then, i can register it where I want. I want to do it in the U.S.

I'm getting closer to owning another sailboat. It's God's way of saying that I shouldn't die with money in the bank.