Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
Ensign

does anyone know what the latest time of the year is that you can do a transatlantic voyage from NYC to paris??

Old 06-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by searad View Post
does anyone know what the latest time of the year is that you can do a transatlantic voyage from NYC to paris??
Searad,

Give us a clue/s ?

Normally NYC to Paris would involve a flight. But, I am sure you don't mean that.

What type of vessel ? where do you intend to leave the US from and where do you intend to land in France? What seagoing experience will the skipper and crew have ??

Today's Wind Chart :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	NYC_to_Paris.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	512

Old 06-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Admiral

I think you've missed any eastward transatlantic trips for this year. In general, you will find few leaving from New York. The majority leave from the Caribbean. Those leaving from the east coast of the US will have headed for Bermuda and on from there, and would generally have done it before now. This is hurricane season, and even though the odds are small that one would form this early, the tropical waves and depressions coming off the coast of Africa can make this time of year a bit difficult. http://www.marionbermuda.com/index.shtml

For what you want to do, I think that you need to plan a year in advance and line up the boat you'd like to be on. The 2008 Newport, MA to Bermuda race started on June 20 this year. Next year's Marion, MA to Bermuda race will start on June 19, 2009.

You might get in touch with the race committees of these events to see if they could help you find a boat continuing on to Europe, and perhaps you could meet them in Bermuda. Please be completely straightforward about how much gear you will be carrying, because skippers will probably be a bit leery of taking on you and your gear. http://www.bermudarace.com/

Good luck.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Ensign

JEANNE! THANK YOU SO MUCH. YOU SEEM TO KNOW A LOT ABOUT SAILING AND TRAVELING AT SEA. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR FEEDBACK. WHAT I'M TRYING TO DO IS FILM A DOCUMENTARY THAT BRINGS ABOUT 10 YOUNG ARTISTS FROM NYC TO EUROPE VIA A TRANSATLANTIC VOYAGE. THIS IS THE BOAT I HAVE FOUND TO TAKE US - WWW.MVCAPERACE.COM - I'VE TALKED WITH THE CAPTAIN A LITTLE, AND HE SAID WE WOULD NEED TO GO SOON AS THE SEAS GET ROUGH, BUT I HAVEN'T RAISED ENOUGH MONEY YET (AS WE ARE ALL STARVING ARTISTS I AM RAISING THE MONEY THROUGH INVESTORS) TO RENT THE BOAT FOR THE ENTIRE TIME WE WILL BE GONE. MAYBE YOU KNOW OF OTHER BOATS THAT COULD MAKE THE VOYAGE OR A BETTER CHEAPER WAY TO BRING A CREW OF 10 ARTISTS TO SEA??? ANY IDEAS OR THOUGHTS ARE APPRECIATED! THANKS AGAIN.

CONRAD
Old 07-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
Admiral

I wish I could help further, but this is out of my line. Family of ours used to do a lot of trips on freighters that had extra accomodations. I don't know if that is still done, perhaps new insurance requirements have put a stop to it, but it's another avenue to investigate.

The cape race web site does make it clear that going out on the ocean can be a lot lumpier than riding a plane or train.

The skipper is right that in hurricane season trans-atlantic trips are a bit iffier, though I'm not sure what is actually meant by "WE WOULD NEED TO GO SOON AS THE SEAS GET ROUGH". Commercial shipping doesn't stop because it's hurricane season, it just uses a weather router and is a bit more careful. Is it because it's a converted trawler and doesn't have the speed that a freighter does?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic, transatlantic