Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2008, 06:32 PM   #1
Retired Mod
 
Lighthouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Home Port: Durban
Posts: 2,984
Default

The waiting delay to transit the Canal is now over 6 weeks. These delays are apparently due to the Canal Pilots "working to rule".

Anyone have some first-hand information of the current position?
__________________

__________________


The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Retired Mod
 
Lighthouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Home Port: Durban
Posts: 2,984
Default

Another report on the bottleneck HERE.
__________________

__________________


The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:47 AM   #3
Ensign
 
Wahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 23
Default

There is a article on Noonsite where someone got tired of waiting and had his boat transported over land...cost him @ 5 grand.
__________________
" I have no set schedule, and I'm sticking to it!!"
Wahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
Moderator
 
redbopeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Posts: 3,185
Default

This is just giving my hubby the excuse he wants/needs to go round Cape Horn.
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:04 AM   #5
Moderator
 
redbopeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Posts: 3,185
Default

I thought my comment would generate a comment about the reality of going round the Horn instead via the Canal.

Has anyone seriously considered it?
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #6
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
I thought my comment would generate a comment about the reality of going round the Horn instead via the Canal.

Has anyone seriously considered it?
Do the maths on the total distance, around the horn from Panama to Panama, and work out the likely number of days (bearing in mind that a lot of it will be a beat to windward). Factor in the food / diesel / repairs associated with a trip of that magnitude. Factor in the cost of additonal visas / paperwork if you intend to stop anywhere along the way. Then you won't need to ask the question...
__________________
You what?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:37 AM   #7
Moderator
 
redbopeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Posts: 3,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Do the maths on the total distance, around the horn from Panama to Panama, and work out the likely number of days (bearing in mind that a lot of it will be a beat to windward). Factor in the food / diesel / repairs associated with a trip of that magnitude. Factor in the cost of additonal visas / paperwork if you intend to stop anywhere along the way. Then you won't need to ask the question...
Uh, I already know its clear that one will save wear/tear on the boat as well as fuel and paperwork by sitting around twiddling ones thumbs waiting on the Panama Canal instead of going 'round the Horn! I'm not asking the obvious here.

Some folks like to sail rather than sit. Else we'd all be sitting at home, right?

The question is if anyone has seriously considered going round the Horn. If you're going to see the world, is Cape Horn one of the places you've considered venturing 'round?

The Canal delays are simply another "excuse" for my hubby to consider it. However, he's been looking for excuses to round Cape Horn ever since he read a book called "My Old Man and the Sea" about a father/son team who did it in a 25' Vertue in the 1980's.
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Rear Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 437
Default

Instead of just whinging about the bottle-neck at Panama...

I've just written to the head office of DOCKWISE TRANSPORT suggesting they consider "parking" one of their vessels on a permanent (or semi-permanent) basis within the protected waters of Colon and Balboa to transport larger groups of smaller vessels across.

It's a labour intensive operation (I've been through twice) requiring scores of people for each vessel movement. I feel sure the canal authorities would welcome the opportunity to streamline yacht transits and keep their staff focused on their primary business of large ship transits. It could reduce the costs for us (no need for pilots, admeasuring, administrative, line hanndlers, feder & line rentals, etc) and may even be profitable for Dockwise.

They could do weekly or bi-monthly trips from one side to the other, depending on seasonal demand. They could either retire one of their older vessels there or design & build a purpose-built ship / barge for the job. Float on - float off. Too easy.

Dockwise has offices throughout the world. Pick one and write. I've planted the seed at their main office and I reckon that if enough of us pour a little water on their regional offices, this idea might take root and grow into something beneficial to everyone concerned.

To Life!

Kirk
__________________
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
Admiral
 
MMNETSEA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanters View Post
Instead of just whinging about the bottle-neck at Panama...

Dockwise has offices throughout the world. Pick one and write. I've planted the seed at their main office and I reckon that if enough of us pour a little water on their regional offices, this idea might take root and grow into something beneficial to everyone concerned.

Kirk
Kirk,

What a great idea !!! It will be interesting to see what tariff will be arrived at and how the process will compare with transhipping boats by land.

Richard
__________________
MMNETSEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Ensign
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7
Default

I think a detour around the horn would be just the ticket if you was just setting in some cove in panama waiting for 2-3 months. However, a lot of things would have to fall into place ie time of year, physical ability of the crew,type of vessel and its capibilities ect ect. The Horn is on my list for the winter of 2011...just because........
__________________
sniper0885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:32 AM   #11
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Uh, I already know its clear that one will save wear/tear on the boat as well as fuel and paperwork by sitting around twiddling ones thumbs waiting on the Panama Canal instead of going 'round the Horn! I'm not asking the obvious here.

Some folks like to sail rather than sit. Else we'd all be sitting at home, right?

The question is if anyone has seriously considered going round the Horn. If you're going to see the world, is Cape Horn one of the places you've considered venturing 'round?

The Canal delays are simply another "excuse" for my hubby to consider it. However, he's been looking for excuses to round Cape Horn ever since he read a book called "My Old Man and the Sea" about a father/son team who did it in a 25' Vertue in the 1980's.
Sorry if I came over a bit strong, it wasn't my intention. Nevertheless, if you are going to sail around the horn, it is most likely going to be something you planned all along, not a decision made to save a bit of waiting time. Most cruisers will tend to be heading from Carib to Pacific, to go around the horn that way is "the wrong way" in terms of wind conditions (or so I am lead to believe).

Each to their own, I guess, but I, for one, would not be considering going around the horn to avoid the delay in Panama... I haven't been to Panama, but having spent a fair bit of time in Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, I love Central America and would be more than happy to have a week or two extra to explore
__________________
You what?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:52 AM   #12
Moderator
 
redbopeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Posts: 3,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Sorry if I came over a bit strong, it wasn't my intention. Nevertheless, if you are going to sail around the horn, it is most likely going to be something you planned all along, not a decision made to save a bit of waiting time. Most cruisers will tend to be heading from Carib to Pacific, to go around the horn that way is "the wrong way" in terms of wind conditions (or so I am lead to believe).

Each to their own, I guess, but I, for one, would not be considering going around the horn to avoid the delay in Panama... I haven't been to Panama, but having spent a fair bit of time in Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, I love Central America and would be more than happy to have a week or two extra to explore
Yes, I can cerrtainly understand your position.

I must admit that it isn't simply the delays that make my hubby want to go round Cape Horn (and we're on the west coast of North America, so on the "correct" direction to go so to speak); we also BOTH want to explore Patagonia and he sees the Horn as just a further extension of that particular trip. I won't let us seriously consider heading south to Patagonia or Cape Horn until after we've re-launched our boat and explored the boat's performance.

My husband also doesn't like the whole Panama Canal passage for yachts. Period. Any excuse to avoid it and he's happy to make that excuse
__________________
"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 AM   #13
Admiral
 
Trim50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Posts: 1,215
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Kirk,

What a great idea !!! It will be interesting to see what tariff will be arrived at and how the process will compare with transhipping boats by land.

Richard
Unless they use the crane-on method of loading and not the sink and float-on, I can't see it being cost effective for such a short distance.
__________________
[
Trim50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
Retired Mod
 
Lighthouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Home Port: Durban
Posts: 2,984
Default

The latest news from an on-site cruiser is that the delay is now down to about 2 weeks. Good news!
__________________

__________________


The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canal, panama


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transiting The Panama Canal CaptainFridge General Cruising Forum 6 06-30-2014 12:54 PM
Panama Canal East To U S SeaVenture General Cruising Forum 15 08-15-2009 07:44 PM
Panama Canal / Colon J3rry Regional Discussions 0 03-29-2009 05:35 PM
Paddling Through The Panama Canal StandupPaddlers General Cruising Forum 0 06-21-2008 10:35 PM
Panama Canal Claire General Cruising Forum 4 11-06-2007 10:32 AM

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0