Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-15-2022, 02:13 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None
Default Er, g'day

Been 2 1/2 years since I logged in, can't believe it. This place used to be my second home.

I ran aground mid-2020. Had the old Hartley Tasman crushed and bought a house, and haven't thought much about yachts ever since. I now own a decommissioned Post Office in Bundarra NSW which is a long way from the ocean. With the flooding that has been occurring on the coast I'm sure it was the right decision, and with the isolation from the general populace - the town has only 400 people and not even a supermarket for 50 km - CoVid19 hasn't been an issue either.

It looks like I'm here to stay. Apart from the old VW Transporter that I had the day I first logged in back in 2011, and the Isuzu Elf 250 I bought to store my stuff in when storage became too expensive, I now own an Alfa 147 Ti, a Peugeot 207 CC, a Husqvarna ride-on mower and an 8' x 4' laser cutting machine. We sure do accumulate stuff when living ashore.

The Tasman was never a fixer. Yes, I could have patched up the hull cracks but Queensland Maritime required it to be signed off by a qualified boat builder, and NOBODY of that ilk is silly enough to sign off on a home built yacht (especially a ferro) unless they perform the work themselves. So the dream ended there, in a rundown boatyard in Beachmere, QLD after three years living on the hard. Bummer.

The old ferros did get me through those last ten years to retirement age, and a small legacy allowed me to buy a decent home, if a remote one. Then again, at 69 one's friends start to thin out - I've lost the best of them in the past 5 years - and socializing isn't nearly as important as it once was.

The yachting life is a worthwhile dream, and that one trip to NZ with Del will be etched upon my memory forever, but in all honestly I started far too late, and with too little in the way of funding. Like my older dreams of owning a Ferrari or traveling the world, it had to be tempered by reality. And looking at what passes for reality today, I'm fairly glad I'm in a remote location away from the world's issues.

I picked a great place to sit out the zombie apocalypse.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote