Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) says boaters may be subject to various sales, use, excise, or property taxes when they remain in one location for a consecutive number of days, or over-stay their visit for a certain number of aggregate days per year. This “grace period” is often 60 to 90 days but as little as 30 days in two states (CO, NH). Also, if the principal state’s tax is not comparable to the tax in the state the boat is visiting, the second state can levy the tax making the boat owner liable for the difference. ........

Full details - HERE

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse' date='05 May 2010 - 12:45 PM View Post

Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) says boaters may be subject to various sales, use, excise, or property taxes when they remain in one location for a consecutive number of days, or over-stay their visit for a certain number of aggregate days per year. This “grace period” is often 60 to 90 days but as little as 30 days in two states (CO, NH). Also, if the principal state’s tax is not comparable to the tax in the state the boat is visiting, the second state can levy the tax making the boat owner liable for the difference. ........
If you sail to Colorado, there are several other difficulties you need to be aware of.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote' date='05 May 2010 - 10:11 PM View Post

If you sail to Colorado, there are several other difficulties you need to be aware of.
Would you be so kind as to enumerate these?

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

First, you will probably hit a lot of rocks when you cruise over the rocky mountains. If you come from the east, you will need to cross Kansas. You could perhaps sail up the Colorado River from the Sea of Cortez, but there are several dams that might make your life more interesting than you would like. The water gets pretty thin toward Mexico and pretty rocky going through the Grand Canyon.

All in all, visitors to the Grand Canyon state might prefer to take a motorhome.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Admiral

I am sure there is a great joke in this somewhere at the expense of someone who has learnt to speak your language. Perhaps I should counter with stories of sailing in the Khomas region of Namibia or winter cruising in the Bay of Bothnia?

My knowledge of geography is, despite scathing, snide, cynical remarks, better than most and I am well aware of where Colorado is as well as its river. As far as I know, there are a number of lakes in Colorado where sailing facilities are available.

I have taken the trouble to learn your language, not because I have the slightest inclination to come to America as many seem to think, but because it is the global medium of communication and, in my opinion, a wonderful tool to express oneself. I certainly do not appreciate someone trying to make a fool of me either by insinuating a lack of linguistic or geographical knowledge.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk

Old 05-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Admiral

A fun joke in the U.S. is commenting on boats' Home Port on their stern. Since the federal documentation laws allow an owner to declare any city or town in the US as their Home Port, we've seen some where it just isn't possible to bring a boat from, or a body of water on which it could travel. We can spend an enjoyable half hour or so speculating on how the boat got from/to that particular town. We don't mean to confound or patronize others unfamiliar with that particular geographical area, it's often more banter expressing our missing our home city/state/county/village. Forgive us our indulgences.

J

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Ensign

I think you may be a little sensitive here Nausikaa. I think Coyote was just being a little off the cuff in his humor and meant no harm. One summer while sailing in BC I spent several days buddy boating with a gentleman who belonged to the "Death Valley Yacht Club." He got a lot of mileage out of that. We both had a lot of fun.

As a former Colorado resident I can appreciate both of your inputs. Keep up the good work, Sunseeker
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker' date='06 May 2010 - 11:46 PM View Post

I think you may be a little sensitive here Nausikaa. I think Coyote was just being a little off the cuff in his humor and meant no harm. One summer while sailing in BC I spent several days buddy boating with a gentleman who belonged to the "Death Valley Yacht Club." He got a lot of mileage out of that. We both had a lot of fun.

As a former Colorado resident I can appreciate both of your inputs. Keep up the good work, Sunseeker
As we have such an international membership on our forums it is understandable that this sort of misunderstanding can happen. I am sure that "Coyote" (a very good member) meant no harm but I must say that even I (a South African) had no clue about what he was talking about.

We should perhaps bear in mind when we post that our membership is very diverse (nationally) and realise that many members may not understand or appreciate the sense of humour of some. Cruiserlog's internationalism is what makes this forum so rich and interesting AND, we learn about things from ALL OVER THE WORLD.

I think that "Nausikaa" is away on business at the moment but I'm sure that he will understand. I take my hat off to him for the way that he has mastered the English language.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 02:23 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Todd River Yacht Club -- Henley on Todd regatta.

Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia. The driest place on the driest continent on the planet.

So far they have never had to cancel the "yacht" races because there was water in the river.

Del
Old 05-07-2010, 12:52 PM   #10
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker' date='06 May 2010 - 05:46 PM View Post

I agree....as a former Colorado resident and still a land owner in one of the most beautiful places on earth, I thought it was funny as hell! Still trying to picure myself trying to sail across Kansas....

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
Boomerang!

Home Port: Oxford, MD
Vessel Name: Boomerang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse' date='05 May 2010 - 03:45 PM View Post

Full details - HERE
And here we go....perhaps we TOO can be like Europe...taxes, taxes, taxes....taxes that will be misappropriated as usual.... Throw the bums out! Historically, LOWER taxes generate more revenues....why do we keep electing fools with no concept of economics 101?

If I have to explain that very basic concept above....please don't ask...

S/V Boomerang!

1980 Cal 39 Mark II

St Michaels, MD
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa' date='05 May 2010 - 02:16 PM View Post
I am sure there is a great joke in this somewhere at the expense of someone who has learnt to speak your language. Perhaps I should counter with stories of sailing in the Khomas region of Namibia or winter cruising in the Bay of Bothnia?

My knowledge of geography is, despite scathing, snide, cynical remarks, better than most and I am well aware of where Colorado is as well as its river. As far as I know, there are a number of lakes in Colorado where sailing facilities are available.

I have taken the trouble to learn your language, not because I have the slightest inclination to come to America as many seem to think, but because it is the global medium of communication and, in my opinion, a wonderful tool to express oneself. I certainly do not appreciate someone trying to make a fool of me either by insinuating a lack of linguistic or geographical knowledge.

Aye//Stephen
Oh, my.

<div>
</div><div>I would like toapologize, Stephen, if I caused you offence. It was intended as a joke, but not intended to be at anyone's expense. I understand that nuances of humor are the most difficult to translate and often huge amounts of cultural experience are necessary.</div><div>
</div><div>I was just amused by the notion of sailing to Colorado. The fact that Colorado is landlocked doesn't really make the post less valuable as the state does have many waterways and is a fun place for boating.</div><div>
</div><div>I appreciate your huge contributions to the board and enjoy your posts. Please accept my apology for my inadvertent offence.</div><div>
</div><div>Chuck</div>
Old 05-09-2010, 05:50 AM   #13
Admiral

No problems Coyote.

It is a case of live and learn and, strangely, the learning curve seems to get steeper with age when one would immagine it would be begining to level out.

On the subject of "unusual yachting", anyone ever tried an ice yacht? I never have but certainly would like to: the speed, the thrill, the adreneline rush must all be out of this world.

Aye // Stephen

www.nausikaa.org.uk