Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #15
Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I would not 'bot' off anyone's connection, because I believe it is stealing. I also think it is stealing to take mangos from a tree branch overhanging a footpath or your neighbour's fence, from someone else's private garden.

The facts in Oz are simple, if your neighbour's orange tree overhangs your garden, the fruit is yours to use as you wish (although decent people still ask).

Could this be a basis for defence in 'geek vs wi-fi plunderer'?

"if at first you don't succeed....Redefine success"!

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #16
Send a message via MSN to EightyEight

I leave my Wi-fi open for all to use, and am more than comfortable using someone else's. I have seen published maps of some citys in Canada where the free wireless networks cover most of the city. My attitude is if you have it why not share it.

Just my opinion.

Cheers EightyEight

EightyEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #17

The differing responses to this question, even amongst us decent people, just underlines the relevance of the question.

In a way we are all right.

Auzzzie David says it is stealing.....and he is right; it is.

I say it is stealing unless the owner intended to let other people use it.....but how do you know what the owner's intentions are. Here I maintain that if the owner does not want other people to access his / her LAN then it should be secured. That is a clear indication!

Dave (88) says he is happy to leave his LAN open and to use other peoples too. That seems fair to me.

I think, getting back to the bottom line, if you want to keep it for yourself then you secure it. In the same way you don't let your orange tree grow over the neighbour's fence, unless you want to share your oranges of course.

Is legislation the answer? I think not. Legislation has not caught up with the digital age.

Surely, the simplest way to avoid the issue would be for software manufacturers to have the secured LAN as default, as Peter Owen suggested. It could be then opened by the LAN owner entering an opening code. That would help those who Jeanne mentioned who are not so computer savvy.

Really, I don't think this is so difficult. We just have to persuade Mr. Gates of the sense of setting the default security- Anyone opening up the LAN would then be saying, "Hi and welcome".
Yacht NAUSIKAA | Call Sign: 2AJH2

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 PM   #18

I have just read that BT and a company called FON are planning to offer a package (in the UK) that allows private wireless users to sell back some of their (excess) private bandwith and, in so doing, dramatically extend the reach of the BT's public wireless network offerings. Not too dissimilar to the electricity industry where those with their on generation capabilities can feed excess back into the grid and get credit for doing so.

One has to assume that this will provide pretty good security to all parties and could well be a model that appears elsewhere - I wonder if this is how it's done in Canada or if that's just on the good old fashioned basis of neighbourly trust!

I certainly can't get anywhere near my 8Mb/s capacity but, unfortunately I'm not with BT so....

...see ya!
Peter Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 PM   #19

I've been reading the FON web site, http://www.fon.com/en/info/whatsFon , but I haven't really done enough searching to have most of my questions answered.

However, as I interpret it, users who want free WI FI through FON agree to share their home broadband network with other FON members ("Foneros"). FON provides a router ("La Fonera") which seems to incorporate security features, though I didn't find them explained. For those who don't share their home WIFI, they can still join FON and buy WIFI when they are on the move.

This sounds like a wonderful idea, though how it would work for cruisers without a land base to return the favors I'm not sure. But since there is a way to buy WIFI connections, cruisers should benefit with the proliferation of WIFI spots globally. I wonder if advertising revenue is also a way that this operation makes money.

Something to watch. Thank you, Peter, for bringing this to our attention.

In 1986 we went cruising for a few years. After 20 years and 50+ countries and several oceans, we are STILL "cruising for a few years".

MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote