Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Regional Cruising > SE Asia, The Red Sea & Indian Ocean > Regional Discussion Topics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-04-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
Admiral

SOUTH CHINA SEA

A total of five attacks has been reported for the Area around Anambas Island, South China Sea since 24.03.2008 (Latest 15th June) in the following positions :

02:52.5N-105:11.0E,

03:13.0N-105:26.0E,

03:16.18N-105:26.68E,

03:24.6N-105:31.5E,

02:36.8N-105:9.9E.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Anabas_Islands.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	521

Pirates in speedboats armed with Guns and long knives are attacking vessels and targeting vessel’s cash and properties. All vessels are advised to maintain a vigilant, 24 hrs, anti - piracy watch both visually and on radar while transiting these waters. Report all sightings of suspicious boats.

Cruising Yachts should avoid these islands !!!

P.S.

Report just come in on Pirate attack just south of Tioman Islands (west of Anambas) Tioman

is a favourite cruising area:

"Pirates attack tug in Malaysia

Pirates have attacked a tug off Malaysia, reports the Regional Cooperation Agreement on Combating Piracy and Armed Robbery against Ships in Asia. The Singapore-registered tug boat, Wecoy 6, was towing the barge Cakrawala from Can Tho, Vietnam to Singapore when the attack took place. At 0130 hrs on 29 June 2008, the tug boat was approximately 10 nm south of Pulau Tioman when six men armed with long knives and axe boarded the tug boat from a long white speedboat with twin outboard motors. Four other men stood by and waited in the speedboat. After stealing personal items belonging to the crew, they sped off towards Pulau Pemanggil. No crew were injured in the attack. The Singapore Port Operations Control Centre (POCC) has initiated a NAVTEX broadcast warning ships in the vicinity to look out for fast moving craft approaching their ships and to increase anti-piracy watch. "

Old 08-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: No such thing
Vessel Name: Charisma

Hi There,

I just happened to be solo sailing and diving in the Anambas at the time the navtex went crazy with all the Pirate warnings. If my recollections are correct Singapore port authority use "armed robbery at sea" instead of piracy!!!!

A few weeks later while anchored in Pulau Pemmangil the Navtex went crazy again for the very same reasons.

Freigthers and tug boats semmes to be the target but to date I haven't met a yacht reporting any incidents.

Having said that I am more worried of the Indonesian officials in the Anambas ,even with the proper paperwork, than pirates.

Would anyone have any comments in the area?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Admiral

Hi Francis,

We have had incidents involving yachts in the Anambas group, I don't believe this year. One of which involved a yacht "Ten Large" .

I think the concern is that with the number of recent reported incidents (be they 'armed robbery' or 'piracy') they may turn their attention to cruising yachts - who knows? The advice is if you don't have to go there - steer clear.

Richard
Old 08-24-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Hi Richard,

I do remember the post from "Ten Large". A few yachties I met had a different story from the owner. I did see the boat in Tioman, I think, but there was no one on board at the time so I could not get their version.

I'll be in Tioman next week though, if there are still there, perhaps I can have an update.

In the Ananbas I purposely stayed away from inhabited islands and it was all fine, sure enough the only time I dropped anchor near a village the visitors came in stepping on board without asking permission !!! One night was long enough.

Cheers,

Francis
Old 08-24-2008, 10:02 PM   #5
Admiral

Hi Francis,

Correct, the robbery that took place in Tioman did involve "Ten Large" and another yacht while the crews were ashore having dinner.

The Anambas incident involving "Ten Large" took place at an anchorage in the Anambas group - they were boarded by armed men - forced to go down into the saloon, demands were made for money etc.

I took the initial report directly.

Richard
Old 09-02-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Hi Richard,

I did get to Tioman last week...by plane, left the boat in Singapore. Didn't get to the marina though, purpose of the trip is probably better left blank for this forum. I'll be sailing to Sabah from Singapore mid october, perhaps I'll get more news on the way.

Cheers,

Francis

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
Hi Francis,

Correct, the robbery that took place in Tioman did involve "Ten Large" and another yacht while the crews were ashore having dinner.

The Anambas incident involving "Ten Large" took place at an anchorage in the Anambas group - they were boarded by armed men - forced to go down into the saloon, demands were made for money etc.

I took the initial report directly.

Richard
Old 08-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #7
Rent a boat in Phuket

Home Port: Phuket
Vessel Name: Jabuticaba
Send a message via Skype™ to Jabudays Yacht Charters

Thanks for this useful info, appreciate it
Old 08-14-2017, 01:36 AM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Omaha

Does anyone carry firearms while cruising? I'm planning a solo cruise to S.E. Asia and beyond and I'm considering carrying protection.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #9
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

There are people who carry firearms. In many cases they reflect their country's culture. It is therefore no surprise that Americans are at the forefront of weapons carrying on boats. However, there are two things to remember. The first is that authorities in countries other than the US take a dim view of people who carry guns. If you sail into a foreign country with a gun you can choose to declare it, or not.

If you declare it, it will be taken from you and will be probably returned when you clear out of that country. Second, you can choose to conceal it and not declare. If you do this and are found out, you risk a heavy fine, and dependent on the country, the possible confiscation of your boat and, or, jail time.

It must be said that countries which do not believe in the carrying of weapons are naturally suspicious of US flagged boats and may, as a result, be more determined in searching.

I understand the problems posed by pirates. Piracy prone waters are well known and equally well documented. Travelling well away from the coast, travelling in company with other boats, and maintaining radio silence at nights are time proven strategies to effectively remain safe.

Finally, experiencing piracy is far less likely than a fatal shark attack,( and avoidance is the best strategy with big hungry fish), and pirates really don't want to kill you; unless you threaten them with a gun.

Best wishes, go cruising and whatever decision you make about carrying weapons, please consider, carefully, the consequences.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pirates

« Gulf of Thailand | - »