Update, update. I seemed to have missed a failure.
We had all sails up for a bit of the morning that Saturday and then dropped the foresail for the remainder of the day's sailing as we were doing lots of upwind work and our schooner points a bit higher with less leeway with main, staysail, and jib (no foresail) in heavy winds. The winds were in the mid 30 knot range with gusts around 40 knots. Well, during the taking down of the foresail we surmise, the staysail broke and spit out one of its three battens! And, that broken bit of batten ended up stowed into the foresail! The staysail must of done its break-and-spit while we were taking down the fore else it wouldn't be lodged in the foresail. We just found it while re-stowing the foresail. The staysail had previously spit out two battens during a gale, one was lost and we made this one (of hardwood) to replace the fiberglass one lost. We didn't glass it and clearly it needed it!
We'll have to get a fiberglass one the next time we make it to a chandler OR fiberglass another hardwood one.
As an engineer, I did a lot of work in reliability and preventative maintenance and inspection. Thus, I do find it just killer that we're not ahead of the curve on more of this stuff.