Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-10-2016, 05:34 AM   #21
Capt. Rev.

Home Port: Bandon Oregon

Yes mate, most important, and money counts too. It,s just that our reasons are directed towards my revisiting Spain after living there as a boy, sailing up to Mallorca and Barcelona, over to Italy, mebbe after a visit to the Gib for 3 months then who knows. Exploring the entire region by boat sounds pretty exhausting and perilous; and what about all those refugees swimming from Africa? lol I hear they're hell to get loose when they get caught in yer bobstay.
I just downloaded the entire RYA publications from a torrent, (see recent post WEATHER by Auzzee. There is also a link to a Maritime publications resource there and I even found global sailing directions.) and I have found the CEVNI available as an online test too.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #22
Athene of Lymington

Home Port: Lymington
Vessel Name: Athene of Lymington
Default Montenegro

If you do wind up basing yourself in Italy, I'd suggest looking at the east coast rather than the west (fewer visiting yachts and so the marinas are more sensibly priced). Also, if you needed to get out of Schengen to reset your clock (either for you or the boat), Montenegro is a wonderful place to visit and is just a long day/night sail away.

I put together the Italy, Croatia and Montenegro sections on the Wiki and recompiled the Albania section in 2013, so most of the info there is fairly current.

GORDON KNIGHT

Old 01-17-2016, 07:22 PM   #23
Capt. Rev.

Atheneo,
that is goood info. I did a bit of research thus far over Albania and did find they have a few marinas, but as you say Montenegro is there too. Awesome. If we get that far then west would definitely have to be the way to go.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #24
Athene of Lymington

Home Port: Lymington
Vessel Name: Athene of Lymington
Default Montenegro tourist board?

No, I'm not employed by the Montenegro tourist board! I just think that it's one of the most special countries we've ever visited by yacht. Take a look at https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nnitblb0n...20Cup.pdf?dl=0 if you want to get a flavour of the experience.

By the way, there's only one marina in Albania (Italian run), which is Orikum. Safe but very isolated and with minimal infrastructure.

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 01-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #25
Capt. Rev.

Gordon,
I am sold. Don't you just LOVE places without billboards, signs, neon and McDonalds??!!
( I was in Paris and heard a crowd of gringos when they saw McDonalds on the corner.)
"Yaaaaaaaay, now we can eat"

Fargin disgustin lol.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:44 PM   #26
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by atheneoflymington View Post
No, I'm not employed by the Montenegro tourist board! I just think that it's one of the most special countries we've ever visited by yacht. Take a look at https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nnitblb0n...20Cup.pdf?dl=0 if you want to get a flavour of the experience.

By the way, there's only one marina in Albania (Italian run), which is Orikum. Safe but very isolated and with minimal infrastructure.

GORDON KNIGHT
Thanks for the extra details, I figured there must be some place on that coast you could hole up for three months.

BTW I just found out where Lymington is. I've been staring at maps while doing some genealogy.

My paternal great great grandfather and his brother emigrated to Australia from the Isle of Wight in the 1850's, and most of my other ancestors of that era were from southern England as well. (Cornwall, Somerset, Kent, Surrey, Warwickshire, Essex). Then there were a couple of oddballs from the Isle of Man and Cork, Ireland.

You'd think with 16 great-great-grandparents from the UK and a grandfather who fought for the Empire in WW1 I'd be able to get a British passport (or at least residence in retirement), wouldn't you. Naah, not a hope in hell.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #27
Capt. Rev.

Yea but don't you Aussies get a break in Canada?
Old 01-20-2016, 12:31 AM   #28
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Dunno, I'll have to check on that. But ... singing mounties? Loonies? Whoa.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
med