Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-02-2008, 03:43 AM   #21
Admiral

Skywoolf , welcome back !

Old 08-12-2008, 01:29 AM   #22
Ensign

Name:   aug112008.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  159.8 KB

Just an update on the boatyard - hole is dug and prepared for the winching system. Slow-going but moving forward.

Ellen

= Davao, Philippines,
wiskun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 AM   #23
Ensign

Name:   38ftbruceroberts_aug112008.jpg
Size:  158.2 KB

Also, an update on the motor yacht being built on the yard.

Ellen

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 08-12-2008, 01:43 AM   #24
Ensign

Name:   Boatyard_machineshop__16_.jpg
Size:  157.2 KB

The boatyard area is now partly cemented and a machine shop erected.

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 08-12-2008, 05:08 AM   #25
Ensign

I went past there last week but saw no sign of your boat. I guess you were out sailing but not in the area where we were. Then again maybe I am thinking of a different marina under construction. Is yours on the northern coast of Samal Island?

Sport Fishing Asia Motorcycle Asia Net
Skywoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:13 AM   #26
Ensign

Yes - the marina is on the northern coast of Samal Island.

Click image for larger version

Name:	samalnorth_1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	565

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 08-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #27
Ensign

Marina update:

Construction of the floats is ongoing - there are 72 finished pieces and 8 more ready for cementing. Digging in the marina area has been halted as there is no place to dump the sand. Hence the breakwater for the resort area is being contructed, and once finished the bulldozer/dump truck can then access the area to unload the sand where an island will be built for the spa.

I understand that they plan for a 10 ft depth in the marina. Power pedestals have been ordered and are probably in-transit over.

Ellen 
Name:   36_1_21_1_.gif
Views: 25
Size:  13.3 KB

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 08-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #28
Ensign

So I did get the right one after all. I was out in the gulf yesterday and passed by the vehicular ferry terminal. It looks like they are building another marina right by the vehicular ferry but that is on the west coast near the narrowest point of the channel. There was a large sailing boat moored there.

Sport Fishing Asia Motorcycle Asia Net
Skywoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #29
Rear Admiral

wiskun,

Will there also be a marina in Davao? I am also wondering how one would secure a slip for the future. Can they be bought? I am hoping that within 5 years I will be living on Mt. Apo, Any, and all information is appreciated......John
Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #30
Ensign

Hello Skywoolf, yes, that is our boat. It is not a marina they are building here, but a slipway for haul outs and dry storage. In fact we are anxiously waiting for it to be finished cuz my husband has to leave soon for Norway. He wants Wiskun out and safe before he leaves. We have also arranged for our masts to be taken down for storage. Things move slow here, but at least it is moving forward and not backwards

Hello Imagine2frolic. I really don't think the marina will be finished this year. But for sure, within the next 5 years, it will be - haha. I don't think the slipways are for sale. I am looking at the architectural plans now and it seems like there are 5 fingers @ 16m length x 12 meters wide, 8 fingers at 12m x 10m and the rest are for 9.76m boats. What is the size of your boat?

I don't see any other sailboats around, so we have first dip on the 16m slip. Hope you come soon, cuz it is very lonely for us here. We think we will use Samal as our base. We bought property on the subdivision overlooking the marina. Now it is the SW monsoon season and up north is hammered with typhoons and storms almost every week. Here, it is very calm. I see some swells coming into the gulf from the south, but further up where we are, it is not bad due to the shape of the island.

I will keep you updated with pictures, but seems I can't upload bigger sized pics anymore, and only one per post.

Cheers,

Ellen

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 08-20-2008, 12:00 AM   #31
Ensign

Name:   marina_81908_A.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  150.2 KB

A picture of the marina taken yesterday.

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 11-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #32
Ensign

Just a quick update on the boatyard here. Wiskun finally got hauled out. Pics here - http://www.sailsamal.com/blog/

= Davao, Philippines,
Old 11-20-2008, 01:59 AM   #33

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskun View Post
Just a quick update on the boatyard here. Wiskun finally got hauled out. Pics here - http://www.sailsamal.com/blog/
Hi! I'm enjoying your blog Thanks for posting the info about Samal, too. It looks like you've got a lovely "base" for sailing all 'round.

It's also great to see a railway, too! as boats like ours would "prefer" to be hauled on a railway (she's carvel planked wood...) rather than plucked up with a travel lift

Warm regards,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:30 AM   #34
Ensign

Thanks Brenda, we are having a quick break now. We've been busy preparing for the 2 masts to come down. Seems the locals cannot work with a hungry stomach so we are taking the break too while waiting for them. It's been raining all day - thank goodness - otherwise we have to deal with the heat as well.

Cheers,

= Davao, Philippines,

Tags
island