Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-09-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Florida
Cool Hello from a new member

Hi All, I started looking around for new forums. My husband and I have taken cruises on many ships and he has owned many boats but this new adventure is all new to me. We are going to be buying between and 40 and 50 foot powerboat and potentially within a year, live on her. We currently live in Florida and I have always loved the water. I have wanted a boat all of my life but have been land-locked until recently. I am trying to sponge up as much information as possible.

Thanks, so much,

-Maria
CruisinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Maria, welcome to the forum. Which part of Florida are you based in? It's a good cruising ground, especially if you are including The Bahamas and Caribbean. We have sailed a lot out of Fort Lauderdale. Best of luck with the boat hunt and I hope you will keep us informed about your progress. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask them. Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Ensign

Thank Auzzee, We are near Cape Canaveral (Space Coast). I currently work near the port. I have been ALL over the Caribbean and Bahamas on Cruise ships but we also plan to take our own personal trips. I think we have gotten to a point in our lives where we like the quiet and the Ocean has always been my Zen. Living on her is a dream that I never thought would happen. We are going to be probably have our boat this spring if we can find what we want. And get our feet wet with just staying aboard on weekends. I am definitely looking forward to the adventure.

-Maria
Old 11-09-2017, 09:45 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Keep in mind the possibility that Irma affected boats may be on the market. We're back in Fl next week. (We have a little spot on Hillsboro Inlet...where it's sunny). We still sail, but have recently been looking at mid-sized trawlers and tugs. We're not sure if we will go that way or look for a motorsailer such as the Nauticat. That's in the future. Our bank has designated us as 'preferred' customers. But, I think that means they 'prefer' not to give us any more money for the moment.
Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the info. Luckily, my husband knows boats. He is also an electrical engineer so he can tell if there are issues. Also, we would get anything inspected before we buy. It’s a huge investment for us so we will be careful. Good luck in whatever you choose.

-Maria

-Maria
Old 11-21-2017, 01:16 AM   #6
Ensign

Welcome Maria, Florida is such great place to stay in the meantime. Bon voyage.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:54 AM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: Toronto

Welcome to the boards Maria, you'll enjoy it here!