Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #113
Ensign

Home Port: s

I thought QLD was the most expensive Rego in Australia, its only $75 in Vic

Old 01-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #114
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

No such thing as recreational boat registration in the NT. They scrapped it many years ago because of the cost of administration.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #115
Admiral

Home Port: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Keppelena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
I thought QLD was the most expensive Rego in Australia, its only $75 in Vic
At $290.30 it's a few bucks more than NSW. In fact since the yacht has no engine it doesn't need to be registered at all, but it's moored at anchor and I'd like the authorities to be able to find me if it "wanders off" as happened to the previous owner.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #116
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
No such thing as recreational boat registration in the NT. They scrapped it many years ago because of the cost of administration.
Tassie's the same I believe. As long as you're not in another state for more than 3 months, no rego required.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 AM   #117
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
At $290.30 it's a few bucks more than NSW. In fact since the yacht has no engine it doesn't need to be registered at all, but it's moored at anchor and I'd like the authorities to be able to find me if it "wanders off" as happened to the previous owner.
No cheep!!! what do you mean "moored at anchor"Arnt you on a mooring? or is this like your potato scollops instead of potato cakes?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:57 AM   #118
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
No cheep!!! what do you mean "moored at anchor"Arnt you on a mooring? or is this like your potato scollops instead of potato cakes?
Lots cheaper than car rego. Moored at anchor means what it says, the current mooring location on the Brisbane River isn't subject to fees. The yacht was moored on a home-made mooring in the same location but this pulled during a storm and was discarded by the last owner.

So Qld can actually be cheaper in this regard. Not many spots around Port Phillip where you can get away with that!

Oh yeah, and unless someone has found a way to grow potatoes at the bottom of the ocean inside a shell, there's no such thing as a potato scallop. (I'm from Melbourne ...)

Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #119
Admiral

This may clarify things:

Moor \Moor\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Moored; p. pr. & vb. n. Mooring.] [Prob. fr. D. marren to tie, fasten, or moor a ship. See Mar.] 1. (Naut.) To fix or secure, as a vessel, in a particular place by casting anchor, or by fastening with cables or chains; as, the vessel was moored in the stream; they moored the boat to the wharf. 2. Fig.: To secure, or fix firmly. --Brougham.

One can moor to many things, including an anchor. I could have simply said "anchored" but that implies a temporary situation or location. I could also have simply said "moored" but many would interpret this as being at a fixed mooring or facility.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #120
Admiral

Tom-a-to: tom-ah-to. Upstairs: on deck. Downstairs:below. Galley:kitchen. Dunny,bog,loo,lavatory,thunderbox:head.

As Billy Spokeshave once so succiently put it, a rose by any other name is still a rose. Nautical terminology is a niceity and there are some who thunder on ad nauseum about what is right and proper. The bottom line is as long as everyone knows what yer talking about, then everything is fine.

There are some areas where the nautical term is absolute, such as port and starboard, as distinct from left and right, but otherwise some nomenclature can seem somewhat pompous.

That's what I reckon anyway..

Be that as it may, I eat potato scallops. The term describes a shape rather than an animal as in: Scalloped Potatoes Recipe - Taste.com.au
But, a 'cake' is not something which can be attributed to potatos cut into scallops.

But...'flake' remains one of the best things about Melbourne fish and chip shops.....

Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #121
Ensign

SOO sorry a mooring is permanent to be at anchor is not.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #122
Admiral

Working on the windows for the past few days. Here's a before and after shot:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg window.jpg (90.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg eyes.jpg (78.4 KB, 2 views)

Old 01-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #123
Admiral

Quote:

Be that as it may, I eat potato scallops. The term describes a shape rather than an animal as in: Scalloped Potatoes Recipe - Taste.com.au
But, a 'cake' is not something which can be attributed to potatos cut into scallops.

But...'flake' remains one of the best things about Melbourne fish and chip shops.....
The term doesn't describe the shape of "potato scallops" at all, which aren't actually scalloped but thinly sliced. In culinary sense, the term originally referred to a seafood dish baked and served in a scallop shell, but now used more generally.

And I believe Willy the Shake wrote "That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet." I suppose you're going to spit the dummy and leave now too.

BTW I agree, flake is awesome.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #124
Admiral

Nah...I'm tough!

So, scalloped edges on a photo or a scalloped hem on a dress, like scalloped spuds, are not a distinctive shape, but full of fish. Fair enough.
And as to Bill, he actually wrote it as I said (True dinks!)...but his subby was a dick and wanted to ponce the quote up a bit. Hence the words you produced.

Your windows look good. I assume you are spending a fortune on Everdure. It's a timber restorer's magic wand!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #125
Admiral

Quote:
Nah...I'm tough!

So, scalloped edges on a photo or a scalloped hem on a dress, like scalloped spuds, are not a distinctive shape, but full of fish. Fair enough.
I've never seen scalloped edges on a potato scallop, you must frequent some pretty fancy fish 'n chip shops. My guess is that the term as used in Australia came about through the similarity in shape, i.e. they both resemble a deep-fried hockey puck when cooked.

In defence of the term "potato cake", there are more types of cake than mere confections. One only need consider fish cakes, or cakes of soap.

Quote:
And as to Bill, he actually wrote it as I said (True dinks!)...but his subby was a dick and wanted to ponce the quote up a bit. Hence the words you produced.
Yeah, wouldn't put that past a sub-editor at all.

Quote:
Your windows look good. I assume you are spending a fortune on Everdure. It's a timber restorer's magic wand!
Actually no, I've evolved a technique of inserting a new piece of 9mm ply into the gaping wound and then bogging up the remaining small gap. Seems to be a more robust and permanent repair method, judging from the softness of the central cabin roof which is now cracking underneath. I may have to replace a whole sheet there unfortunately, what a waste of bog and Everdure.

As a last attempt I'm going to try a layer of fibreglass first to see if I can firm it up. Sadly, Everdure wasn't the magic bullet I had hoped for in that instance. I'll use the remaining 1.5 litres to repaint the internal timberwork.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #126
Admiral

Landed four bream off four consecutive casts this morning. The Lane Cove River is teeming with them. All undersized unfortunately, so they live to swim another day.