Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Stand Easy and now Eleuthera as well

Am glad to see someone else having some fun with a couple of hartleys...Mine are a Hobart 57 with the full length Royal Suva keel done to a Hartley modified set of plans and the other is a Tahitian which is pretty standard...My wife and I call them the house and the granny flat....

Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
Admiral

Home Port: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Keppelena

What size is the Tahitian you have, bearing in mind that the whole series got renamed "Tahitian" at some stage. I have two "Tahitians" but their original names were Tasman (27'er) and Queenslander (33'er).

Almost ended up with a free Samson 55'er recently too, but had nowhere to work on it. :-/

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #17
GOF

Eleuthera is a 48 foot centre cockpit tahitian built by Samsons Boat yeard I n Rockingham WA in mid 80's They were a ferro building boat yard in Dixon road.

There are still a heap of there Boats wandering around over here All the ones I have seen are well built and well fitted out albeit getting on years now.. But are still at the usable but need cosmetic repairs stage..

Peter
Old 05-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #18
Admiral

Ah, OK. So it would have been called a Tahitian either way I suppose. Hope to get over there one day when I eventually go round Australia, I'll keep an eye out for them. :-)

Old 05-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #19
GOF

Your welcome anytime....
Old 05-14-2013, 03:28 AM   #20
Admiral

Thanks OldSquizzy, hope to take advantage of that offer one day.

Had my nephew sandblast the trailer I bought to collect the engines a couple of days ago, it's now a lot less rusty but the process has shown up holes in places I didn't expect. I'll be fitting a new floor and will also have to find a 13" wheel rim, since one of them has a hole right through adjacent to where the valve exits and the tube is visible through it.

My eBay purchases keep on arriving spasmodically, but I'm somewhat concerned that there has been no response from the four different Chinese companies I sent emails to about the engines. I want to buy a second gearbox, a simple enough enquiry. Even the manufacturer has completely ignored the email, which doesn't auger well for the availability of spares in the long term.

I've been bedridden at my brother's place for the past two days, seems to be the 'flu and I'm feeling very secondhand today. Hoping to get back to the yacht tomorrow and do some more work.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #21
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Hey Rob,

13" trailer wheels were generally a holden stud pattern, boat trailers used to have the problem of rims rusting out regularly and 13" rims are getting had to get and not cheap. The alternative is to go to a wreckers and pick up a couple of 14" early volvo alloy rims, same stud pattern, cheap as can be and loads of them around, then throw on a couple of second hand tyres and you are away.

I had a trailer with 13" rims a couple of years ago and was quoted $120 for one rim. For 80 bucks I got two volvo ones and two tyres fitted.... the tyres are still good on it now ...

Lexx
Old 05-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #22
Admiral

Hi Lex,

Sunraysia trailer rims (Holden pattern, white powder coat) are $32 retail but unfortunately they have to be picked up in Melbourne otherwise the shipping is a killer. I'll find something, but won't be paying silly prices for them.

Still have the 'flu so my brother took me out to the yacht today in his tinny. W-A-Y less water inside this time, thanks to me shutting off that leaking valve on the last visit. In fact the hull leakage has receded in seriousness as a problem for me after seeing only 100mm rise in level over a whole week.

The solar charge controller had corroded and failed due to humidity inside, so I'll need some air vents fitted soon. Collected the old rubber dinghy that I got free with the boat, will be doing some patching this weekend to that; and to the trailer, now that I have the steel for that job.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:25 AM   #23
Admiral

Some photos of the engine trailer, before and after it was sandblasted and painted with zinc primer. I'll be replacing the rusted floor in the next day or two. It has also been rewired, with new tail lights and jockey wheel fitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer1.jpg (54.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg trailer2.jpg (108.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 05-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
Admiral

Decided to put the RIB on eBay after discussing repairs with the NZ manufacturer. I don't need two dinghies anyhow. Going aboard again today for a few days, lots to do there.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 AM   #25
Admiral

Painted and installed the new chain locker cover. Installed a dual battery 1-2-Both switch and significantly larger battery wiring. Fitted new latches to the skylight hatches for security. Replaced a bunch of plastic screw caps that had deteriorated in the sun.

Leakage is down to one litre per hour now that the engine cooling header valve has been closed, looks like the leak in the hull isn't as bad as expected. In fact I would have sailed Shenoa to a new location in deeper water last Friday except that the jib furler doesn't seem to work properly and I can't actually unfurl the sail fully.

The dinghy sold on eBay for $76.05 but the buyer wants COD delivery, which wasn't offered. Grrrr. A sale is a sale, final. No way I'm driving halfway across town to have some clown say, "Oh, it's not what I expected" and refusing to pay for it.

Should be picking up the engines at the end of this week, at last.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #26
Admiral

This is the original non-furling jib. Needs some work ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jib.jpg (98.0 KB, 1 views)

Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

Put a pole down the middle, add some guy ropes and you have yourself a tent.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #28
Admiral

Heh. :-)

It's just a couple of split seams, the awl should fix that. Not that I'll need a second jib anyhow, assuming the furled one isn't damaged.