Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Rigging & Sails
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Madeira
Send a message via Skype™ to jjrego
Default design of mast

formosa 41design of mast .
anyone know where I can find measures for wood mast for formosa 41. thank you .

Old 08-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Wood Masts/Formosa Ketch HELP!!!!

There's also a guy who posted various videos of a refurbish on YouTube. I'm sure he could help with measurements.

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi Eric. I'm not familiar with your boat. I assume it is a sloop and that it's 35' long. If it's a race boat the mast will be considerably taller than if it is a shallow draft cruising boat. I had to overcome a similar problem on a Southcoast 36 many years ago.

Because I had to take it under a bridge to get it into a marina, I had to put a hinge in the mast which I positioned with the lower extent of the hinge being the same height as the solid dodger over the cockpit. The mast was deck stepped, and could be laid on what, in effect, was a boom gallows aft of the centre cockpit. This meant there was a considerable overhang at the stern, but as this was a temporary maneuvering strategy, it wasn't a big deal.

Seeing that this shortened the mast, I wonder if a makeshift gallows by the bow might provide a solution. By far the biggest headache for me was the rigging. When the mast is down there are a lot more wires and ropes to stow along the mast than there appears when the mast is up. However, one of the benefits was that two men could lower and raise the mast to it's truncated and hinged base.

I don't have any photographs of the work I did over 30 years ago, but perhaps these may shed a bit of light: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...23&FORM=IQFRBA.

Obvioulsy, in your case the mast would need to be removed from the hinged base and be taken forward. The only other problem the remains tuning the rig when the mast is repositioned. Over-cam tensioners, such as are used on many inner fore stays were recommended by sailing friends, but I just bought a rigging tension gauge and went through the whole tweak thing about once a month.

Hope this is either interesting or helpful. Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote