Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

Thank you for the inputs. Though at well north of $100 a pop the shopping isn't such fun anymore.

I'll probably go with a foot pump and forget about tying into a pump. KISS... keep it simple and stoopid.

Just need to find or make the space available now to fit that new clunker..

Ivo

Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnupesa View Post

Thank you for the inputs. Though at well north of $100 a pop the shopping isn't such fun anymore.

I'll probably go with a foot pump and forget about tying into a pump. KISS... keep it simple and stoopid.

Ivo
G'day Ivo. First - - lets say Happy Birthday to you - young fella. Do enjoy - to the max. Next - How much does the tap cost & in what dollars? ? ? The tap does look great however 'foot-pumps & switches have a whole lot going for them especially when is a bit ruff & your trying do hang-on, cook & do 2 other things at the same time, as we all try to do. KISS works every time. Ciao, james aka 'JJ-geri-hat-trick'

Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #17

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnupesa View Post

Ivo
You were originally going to hook it up to your saltwater pump (e.g. like a deck washdown system) you already have, right? It seems to me that you're over engineering the project here. We have a Jabsco saltwater washdown pump that has a simple brass (not bronze) "Y" with a valve on each leg. One leg goes to the deck hose, the other leg goes to another little hose with a little plastic spray faucet in our "sink" (a large, red, plastic funnel) in our boat's head. Easy, cheap, no problem. Turn on the little valve on the "Y" to a low enough pressure that we cannot overwhelm the funnel (holds only about 2 quarts) with water. This is a temporary sink and set up for us--but it works. No accumulator, nothing fancy.

[img]Brass-Water-Faucet-Splitter-646834.jpg

Even though you originally were talking about having something good looking, it sounds like you're looking for the best deal you might find. As such, I'd suggest if you want something inexpensive that will sit atop your SS sink, just go to the Home Depot or similar store and buy whatever spigot you may find that is sufficient quality to make you happy. It may well work far longer than you expect.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:09 AM   #18
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Raven View Post

G'day Ivo. First - - lets say Happy Birthday to you - young fella. Do enjoy - to the max. Next - How much does the tap cost & in what dollars? ? ? The tap does look great however 'foot-pumps & switches have a whole lot going for them especially when is a bit ruff & your trying do hang-on, cook & do 2 other things at the same time, as we all try to do. KISS works every time. Ciao, james aka 'JJ-geri-hat-trick'
G'Danke James, for the wishes! The taps are like 120-180 US$, which simply goes against the grain with me. I know boat

dollars and that boats are holes in the water to throw s in... but come on, with some of these things I really have a tough time attempting to discover where they put in all that hard work, engineering and the $2 of material. Sheesh!

I'll answer li'l Bobeep at the same time: Yes, I tend to over-engineer but usually manage to then step back, have a good laugh at myself and go back to first principles. What did we want to achieve? Does it still make sense? On my boat is a watermaker and I think each gallon made will in toto actually cost several $'s more than the fuel consumed, never mind the aggravation with repairs and that evil word 'maintenance'. So, I've never used nor made it operational. Apologies to the PO, but I should actually de-construct it and utilize the space for storing chocolate bars.

Your Y-valve idea is a very functional fix. The dinghy dock here actually uses the same item as your picture, but in plastic. On my double sink a movable schnozzel is actually much more useful, as I can then direct the briny to either compartment. Having the arm able to swivel far enough to the further 'tub' is a no-go due to the central H/C mixer faucet, but a short hose can fix that. Actually quite a few sinks have that 'short retractable hose' idea for rinsing. Some even make the hose disappear down the maw of a swan-like neck fixture, with the spray-fixture desperately mimicking a real live bird. I'm simply just too embarrassed to even ask what these little beauties go for.

Re: KISS.... sometimes these, shall we say 'simple but tasteless' fixes do really work out well. Thank you for all the food for thought and I think I'm very close now to the implementation part of the plan.

Ivo