Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Bosun's Locker > Other Equipment
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Commander

Home Port: St. Augustine FL
Vessel Name: Linnupesa

Tap, tap, tap... but which one?

On my boat there is a legacy PO salt water tap with considerable corrosion. It's clearly a domestic faucet that found itself on a boat. Just like the hot and cold spigot, but that one is used with fresh water. Now, is there a plastic/marelon type out there that will take the corrosion associated with a stainless steel sink, still look OK to a 1st mate and won't corrode merely by looking at salt water? Perhaps the chemical and lab industry has something but what has worked for you?

It is quite possible that the corrosion issue is not much of a problem with a few precautions and replacement will not cost a boat buck either.

What say?

Ivo

Old 02-28-2011, 03:20 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi,

Here is a site C L I C K

Old 02-28-2011, 04:03 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

If you don't care much what it looks like, then indeed, Richard, that's a choice. I know he's asked for non-metal, but still,..

However, I'd think something a bit more decorative would be helpful. while the marine stores all have a few faucets (check out West Marine catalog, for example) I'm not really sure that a house faucet isn't just fine--if it is well made, that is. The cheap-o ones, no, they won't last long. The old faucets on our boat and other boats are simply brass with a standard brass valve. Nothing fancy though they are constructed for the marine use, they're simply brass. I've also seen nickel-plated brass used as well as chrome over brass. Those will have eventual problems with corrosion of the plating, but look lovely for quite some time.

Assume you're talking about a pressure water system, if using regular household faucets, so I won't get into foot pumps and all...

Information from the Delta faucet company notes that for decades, faucets were made with copper waterways and a brass body and fittings and that many faucets are still manufactured this way, containing low-lead brass in order to comply with state lead laws. But cross-linked polyethylene PEX is gaining acceptance in faucets. I assume this means the PEX faucets are availble--check the home stores.

You may consider a nice house faucet that has a ceramic valve system. I had a Franke one at home that was very nice. That particular company has both metal and plastic faucets. I always wondered if it would wear and I see info from the web about ceramic valves: "Ceramic disk faucets are nearly maintenance free and are generally guaranteed not to wear out. Ceramic valves are more durable over the long run in a broader variety of water conditions than any other variety of valve on the market. The discs themselves have diamond-like hardness—they are impervious to line debris, mineral buildups, and other common problems that affect valve life." Other information I've found online states that the ceramic disk valves will eventually wear out so newer "diamond" disks are better. That may be simply marketing info, but it is food for thought.

I cannot recommend this brand since I don't own it, but you may look into this site for some marine faucet information.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Admiral

In the laboratory function overrides décor
Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #5

True. However, "still look ok to the first mate"...wouldn't necessarily be the purely functional ones

Old 02-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #6
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post

True. However, "still look ok to the first mate"...wouldn't necessarily be the purely functional ones
'ray for the female voice!

Yes, there actually is something to be said for form over function, like having a svelte cook in the galley,an extra plus if that one actually can turn out some decent gourmet dishes. So, the industrial strength bio-haz proof faucet does not win this race.

HOWEVER, the gold-plated (sic) items on the site in your post,especially after loudly spelling out the word "marine".... I can just hear the sarcastic 'if you need to know the price you just clearly cannot afford them' from the sales person. They look stylish and the ceramic seals idea appeals too. The gold finish is quite suitable for even Ghaddafis yacht. Alas, for me there should be some middle ground items with a simple fibre-filled or marelon type plastic faucet. I'd hate to hock the boat for a faucet, like a kingdom for a horse. It is possible I'll fit a foot-pump, so pressure is no real issue, but then I could just hang a Madoff-green garden hose into the sink without any shut-off. My idea was to tie the wash-down pump line to the sink and have the pressure switch kick on the motor.

That of course opens up a new can of worms, as I'm not sure a high-pressure jet is what a sink needs. I know I don't want another pressure accumulator tank either, especially not with salt water and critters dying in it.

Thank you both for your ideas, perhaps there are more out there.

Your ever faithful etc etc little drip

Ivo
Old 03-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

I have an aluminium tap in place for salt water in the galley. It doesn't get used continuously, only at sea for rinsing dishes and things, but it appears to have lasted some years with no visible signs of corrosion.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:10 AM   #8
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post

I have an aluminium tap in place for salt water in the galley. It doesn't get used continuously, only at sea for rinsing dishes and things, but it appears to have lasted some years with no visible signs of corrosion.
That's great that you have no major corrosion. My sink is in some kind of stainless steel but I'm not sure of what type exactly. Even though the drains are all non-conducting hose i've seen quite a bit of pitting in the plug/strainer fitting but it may have been caused by some previous neglect, like leaving metal filings or rust chips in situ.

Is yours also a metal or a ceramic or plastic/gf sink? It could make a world of difference regarding corrosion as aluminum is quite a good cathode for salt water.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Admiral

For salt water in the galley, we used a Whale foot pump. After about 15 years it started to leak, and we bought a knock-off foot pump made in China. It leaked before we made it up to Cairns from Mooloolaba. We bought a new Whale pump and our leak problems were over. The galley sink had a small spout for the salt water outlet into the galley sink. Since it was a foot pump, no need for a faucet with handle. Here's a picture of the one we had, can be bought from West Marine for about USD $29.00 When we sold the boat it still looked good, and it was 23 years old.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post

For salt water in the galley, we used a Whale foot pump. After about 15 years it started to leak, and we bought a knock-off foot pump made in China. It leaked before we made it up to Cairns from Mooloolaba. We bought a new Whale pump and our leak problems were over. The galley sink had a small spout for the salt water outlet into the galley sink. Since it was a foot pump, no need for a faucet with handle. Here's a picture of the one we had, can be bought from West Marine for about USD $29.00 When we sold the boat it still looked good, and it was 23 years old.

Jeanne

This may be the way to go. I've already got a very hands-free whale type foot pump for the non-pressurized fresh water, but space for another foot-pump is limited.

Unless I break out a lot more bulkhead and put two whales side by side. ( Those darn whales, it's hard to squeeze one in, even sideways, let alone two! )

Pray tell though, where are the West marine Whale f-pumps made? Dublin? UK?? Somehow I guess it's also factory #47 someplace in Chiang-shou. I think the one I replaced a year ago came from the other China, just a short hop by boat from the mainland. Still no leekee but I keep a spare. The chrome on the old spigot up top is well-nigh gone now, if there ever was any on it. Perhaps too much polishing by the PO did it in.

Though foot-pumps are great for the precious fresh water, the need to sometimes go ape with salt water will require a motorized pump.

Ivo

Old 03-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

The tap that I have looks identical to the one posted by JeanneP.

The sink is stainless steel. I don't believe there could be a cathodic problem because the aluminium spigot is electrically isolated from the sink by the plastic surrounds.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #12
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by delatbabel View Post

The tap that I have looks identical to the one posted by JeanneP.

The sink is stainless steel. I don't believe there could be a cathodic problem because the aluminium spigot is electrically isolated from the sink by the plastic surrounds.
Are you sure it's aluminum? Perhaps mine is different but it has a different feel and patina to it than aluminum.

Looks more like some silver-grey alloy, maybe a brass-zinc combo.

If it's mounted inside plastic and isolated the metals likely won't affect each other much, if at all.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
Admiral

The one above was either stainless steel or plated brass, not aluminum. But I just remembered another faucet we have. We have a two-stage water filter in our summer house (the water there is really dreadful), and the faucet is a plastic one, looks a bit like the metal one in my previous post, but it has an on-off dial (it’s not a handle, it’s in the base of the spigot). Got it at Home Depot in the department where the water filters are. Better to buy on line. Do a search for “water filter spigot” and you should get lots of hits.

I can’t help more right now, we are now in the Florida Everglades and this is the first day I’ve had any internet connection and it’s really, really iffy. Connection goes in and out – never connected for more than two or three minutes at a time. I think it’s working now because there are low clouds around. We’re hiding from bad weather for the next several days so I doubt I’ll be connected again this week.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 AM   #14

Hi there, I just got back to your topic--

There are some very nice faucets that aren't all that costly for what they are. Including the Shurflo brand

Here in the USA, this mail-order company has an average assortment LINK to faucets

One of the more interesting ones there is this one LINK to Attwood because it doesn't care if you're pressure or non-pressure--"This single fixture eliminates need for additional faucets for separate systems. Can be used as an electric faucet which immediately activates pump whenever turned on. It can also be used as a standard faucet when connected to city water supply, or as a hand pump for manual operation." That sounds pretty nifty if it has a handpump built into it.

Pic:

Have fun shopping.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
Commander

Thank you for the inputs. Though at well north of $100 a pop the shopping isn't such fun anymore.

I'll probably go with a foot pump and forget about tying into a pump. KISS... keep it simple and stoopid.

Just need to find or make the space available now to fit that new clunker..

Ivo
Old 03-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnupesa View Post

Thank you for the inputs. Though at well north of $100 a pop the shopping isn't such fun anymore.

I'll probably go with a foot pump and forget about tying into a pump. KISS... keep it simple and stoopid.

Ivo
G'day Ivo. First - - lets say Happy Birthday to you - young fella. Do enjoy - to the max. Next - How much does the tap cost & in what dollars? ? ? The tap does look great however 'foot-pumps & switches have a whole lot going for them especially when is a bit ruff & your trying do hang-on, cook & do 2 other things at the same time, as we all try to do. KISS works every time. Ciao, james aka 'JJ-geri-hat-trick'
Old 03-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnupesa View Post

Ivo
You were originally going to hook it up to your saltwater pump (e.g. like a deck washdown system) you already have, right? It seems to me that you're over engineering the project here. We have a Jabsco saltwater washdown pump that has a simple brass (not bronze) "Y" with a valve on each leg. One leg goes to the deck hose, the other leg goes to another little hose with a little plastic spray faucet in our "sink" (a large, red, plastic funnel) in our boat's head. Easy, cheap, no problem. Turn on the little valve on the "Y" to a low enough pressure that we cannot overwhelm the funnel (holds only about 2 quarts) with water. This is a temporary sink and set up for us--but it works. No accumulator, nothing fancy.

[img]Click image for larger version

Name:	Brass-Water-Faucet-Splitter-646834.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1696

Even though you originally were talking about having something good looking, it sounds like you're looking for the best deal you might find. As such, I'd suggest if you want something inexpensive that will sit atop your SS sink, just go to the Home Depot or similar store and buy whatever spigot you may find that is sufficient quality to make you happy. It may well work far longer than you expect.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:09 AM   #18
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Raven View Post

G'day Ivo. First - - lets say Happy Birthday to you - young fella. Do enjoy - to the max. Next - How much does the tap cost & in what dollars? ? ? The tap does look great however 'foot-pumps & switches have a whole lot going for them especially when is a bit ruff & your trying do hang-on, cook & do 2 other things at the same time, as we all try to do. KISS works every time. Ciao, james aka 'JJ-geri-hat-trick'
G'Danke James, for the wishes! The taps are like 120-180 US$, which simply goes against the grain with me. I know boat

dollars and that boats are holes in the water to throw s in... but come on, with some of these things I really have a tough time attempting to discover where they put in all that hard work, engineering and the $2 of material. Sheesh!

I'll answer li'l Bobeep at the same time: Yes, I tend to over-engineer but usually manage to then step back, have a good laugh at myself and go back to first principles. What did we want to achieve? Does it still make sense? On my boat is a watermaker and I think each gallon made will in toto actually cost several $'s more than the fuel consumed, never mind the aggravation with repairs and that evil word 'maintenance'. So, I've never used nor made it operational. Apologies to the PO, but I should actually de-construct it and utilize the space for storing chocolate bars.

Your Y-valve idea is a very functional fix. The dinghy dock here actually uses the same item as your picture, but in plastic. On my double sink a movable schnozzel is actually much more useful, as I can then direct the briny to either compartment. Having the arm able to swivel far enough to the further 'tub' is a no-go due to the central H/C mixer faucet, but a short hose can fix that. Actually quite a few sinks have that 'short retractable hose' idea for rinsing. Some even make the hose disappear down the maw of a swan-like neck fixture, with the spray-fixture desperately mimicking a real live bird. I'm simply just too embarrassed to even ask what these little beauties go for.

Re: KISS.... sometimes these, shall we say 'simple but tasteless' fixes do really work out well. Thank you for all the food for thought and I think I'm very close now to the implementation part of the plan.

Ivo