Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-27-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Boat Improvement Manual

Over the past couple of decades I have mentioned my favourite boat book on a few occasions. Recently, I have been checking out some new hi-tech boating products which are pretty darned good.

However, I have always tried to limit my reliance on technology and shiny stuff in general. As they say in the world of motorcycling (wot?) "Chrome don't get you home". It's the same on a boat. New systems mean many sailors are having to spend more time in marinas and less time on the hook as power requirements increase and sophistication overtakes the more practical knowledge of how things are done which serves cruising sailors so well.

I, therefore, went to my bookcase (Now that's old technology) and dug out my copy of Ferenc Mate's The Finely Fitted Yacht...A Boat Improvement Manual. This book is a collection of thousands of DIY solutions to making your boat a better, safer and more reliable place to be. And, Mate has a talent for entertainment in the written word which makes the book a good read whether you use any on the design ideas or not...But, like me, I bet you will use this as a reader and reference for years to come. The book is illustrated by his wife and she does a wonderful job.

The good thing is, this encyclopaedic, two part work (Below and above decks) is available from booksellers for a fractions of it's original cover price.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. If you are a sailor, or a boater of any description, and you know how to operate basic hand tools, you will thank me for passing this on to you.

Google the name and you will find these on eBay, Amazon and many other booksellers sites from $5. It's a wonderful investment.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat