Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Covid 19

The initial thought that cruising sailors are somewhat immune from Covid 19 due to the isolation which is a hallmark of the cruising lifestyle gave me some comfort.

As an Aussie in the US, where the response to the virus has been spotty at best, I realise that, in fact, we are faced with concerns which are not easy to overcome. Travelling around the coast has its problems, and while life on the hook may be an exercise in isolation, the reality for most people is time in marinas.

Marinas mean close quarters living where just getting to and from the boat across narrow walkways can compromise social distancing. Then there is the need to share laundry, shower and toilet facilities.

Sailing internationally has even more problems. Cruising boats make passages according to the weather. Determining passages dependent on mostly predictable weather patterns requires that we know which borders are open, and what the conditions in destination countries are, before we get there. And, as we see here in the US, local requirements and regulations can change on a daily basis, dependent upon the numbers of confirmed cases.

Added to this is the need to remain aware of how family and friends are faring and the developing tardiness of suppliers who are being handicapped by staff shortages, extra expenses of maintaining a safe workplace, and shipping delays due to the meteoric rise in online shopping.

I am currently isolated by a lake in East Tennessee, and for that I am thankful. I do wonder however just how my cruising friends are coping with all the restrictions on the gypsy lifestyles which, it seems, are becoming increasingly regulated by the necessities of trying to keep all people safe.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Athens

It has been a hard time to be completely lone. All the bars had been closed around me and being stuck in an island where I don't know anyone and cant meet anyone made it harder.... Overall I am looking forward when all that will come to an end and we can live again without COVID.