Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Manureva-history?

In 2006 I purchased a 54 ft wooden ketch, the "Manureva" in Sebana Cove Malaysia, where it had apparently laid for some years. (pic attached).
It was the property of a deceased estate, so obviously I wasn't able to learn anything of it's history from the previous owner. I am informed from records found, that she was built in Hong Kong in 1970 by the David Cheung boatyard, which is no longer.

I am desperately keen to learn more about her history. Some weeks ago, I met a yachtsman in Bundaberg, Queensland, who told me that he saw her, washed up on a reef in the Cook Islands in 1985, believed to be Aitutaki and he remembers her being bought by a New Zealander, named John, after which she was patched up with ferro cement and towed to New Zealand, apparently to Kerikeri,where she was re built.

I would be most grateful to hear from anyone who knows something of her history.

Thank you,
Peter Watson

peterwatsonandpaula AT gmail DOT com

Old 12-11-2011, 12:55 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I don't know of your particular boat, but I have learned that Lloyds (Lloyd's Register Group) used to keep a "register of yachts" just as they still keep a register of ships. The register of yachts ceased publication in 1979 or 1980 but you should be able to find a library (maritime museum is a good start) that has these. You might also contact the publisher and see what you can find there. I've seen our boat listed in a mid-60's version that a friend had in his office.

In the USA, we have the Coast Guard documentation which follows all US built vessels through their life and it is quite easy to get an abstract which gives all information about owners and liens/loans. Other countries may have similar info.

I hope that is helpful to you.

PS I just found the following on this site about the Lloyds register of yachts

Where can I research my yacht?
The Information Centre Library has a complete collection of the Lloyd’s Register of Yachts 1878 to 1980, and Lloyd’s Register of Classed Yachts 1981 to 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002. This is an annual Register, which lists British and Foreign yachts classed by Lloyd’s Register, yachts belonging to subscribers to Lloyd’s Register publications and certain other yachts above a specified size. It is not a comprehensive source. The Register of Yachts is organised alphabetically by name of yacht. Lloyd’s Register also published a register showing details of American yachts. Named Lloyd’s Register of American Yachts from 1903 to 1977 and renamed North American Yacht Register for its last two years of publication in 1978 and 1979. For further details see Infosheet no.10. Other collections are listed on Infosheet no.17

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
Ensign

Default Manureva

Thank you for that. I will follow it up. My concern is, however, that I believe the yacht may have had a different name between being built in 1970 and being re built in 1985.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Admiral

Hi, Peter

Welcome, and please forgive my editing your email address. Though we are usually free of spammers, scammers, and other internet nuisances, we all have to sleep sometimes, so I took the liberty of fragmenting your email address to befuddle the not-nice bots crawling around the Net.

I'm pretty sure that Manureva is our late friend's yacht. His name was Jim (senior moment, I can't remember his last name right now - I'll add it later if I can). "Blind Jim", as some of us called him, was a very interesting character. He was South African by birth (or perhaps British by birth), but was kicked out of SA by the then apartheid government for his (very) outspoken nature. A WW II news photographer, he was famous in his day. I'm sure you're right that the name was changed when he got it. Were there any personal effects on the boat when you bought it? Probably not, but if so, there might be clues to the boat history since Jim was keenly aware of history. The email addresses I have are quite old, but I'll try to contact his sons and ex-wife to see what I can learn.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #5
Ensign

Default Manureva

Hello Jeanne,
Thank you very much for your reply.
It may be the Manureva has had many owners. The person who died īn ownership" was a Mr Nolten, a Dutchman who was living in Sebana Cove and had owned the boat at least since 1995 as there were receipts in his name for engine parts dated from then.
There were no other personal effects on board which might have served to identify any other previous owner.
I also met a fellow in Darwin who remembers the boat but not much about it only that he thought the story of it going up on a reef in the Cook Islands was probably true as he seemed to remember a newspaper report of a woman being taken by a shark during that episode.

Any further info you might glean would be very much appreciated. It's the first I've heard about your friend Jim - just another chapter no doubt

On a side note, I have over the years greatly enjoyed your blogs from Watermelon, and have referred to them many times during our cruising in Asia,
Peter Watson
Old 08-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: Gilleleje

This is a pretty old post, not sure if it is active. I came across it tonight whist googling Manureva because some friends recently visited Aitutaki. She was indeed on the reef there in 85 and I was one of the team, with John Hunting and John Wood that salvaged her.. if this is still relevant I do have more info and photos of the salvage.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #7
Ensign

Sorry it was John Hunkin It was him that bought her.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:56 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryD View Post
This is a pretty old post, not sure if it is active. I came across it tonight whist googling Manureva because some friends recently visited Aitutaki. She was indeed on the reef there in 85 and I was one of the team, with John Hunting and John Wood that salvaged her.. if this is still relevant I do have more info and photos of the salvage.
Sorry it was John Hunkin, he was the John that bought her.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: woolmer green

Is this thread still alive? I crewed on Manureva from Darwin to Bali in about 1990 and know quite a bit of the history. I'm happy to share what I know if anyone still interested?