Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-29-2005, 08:59 PM   #1
Lieutenant

Default PocketMail??

Does anyone here use or have any information on this product?

It looks like a viable option for an E-Mail service which won't require the use of a laptop. I have always been leary of taking laptops out into the salty environment and didn't know of any other Non-Laptop options. I know there are SSB options but wondered if anyone could give me some input on this particular device.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Bajamas

Old 12-30-2005, 02:41 AM   #2
Admiral

We saw American cruisers using Pocketmail in Australia and Malaysia and it looked like a convenient way to do email. There's no place local to me where I can look at the unit, but the specifications indicate that it can be linked to a PC, which to me would be an easier way to type email than the tiny keyboard of the sending/receiving unit.

You carry this unit to a local telephone and dial the pocketmail number. When you receive the signal, you put the unit up to the telephone receiver and it sends/receives email - dial-up without the connecting cord.

Personally, as much as I like the looks of the little unit (but that's more because I like ALL gadgets), I wouldn't use it. I have a small laptop computer in a Pelican waterproof case that I bring ashore when I need an internet connection to send/receive email and check our various bank/billing accounts (which apparently can't be done via pocketmail). When I can't dial up, I go to a cybercafe and send/receive email, but rarely access my online banking/billing records because I don't particularly trust the security in internet cafes.

I wouldn't be happy without a computer on board. I use it so much that I wear off some of the letters painted on the keys. I have charts on it so I can print one-time use harbor charts to keep in the cockpit (now, the flybridge) as we enter a new, unfamiliar harbor. It also helps in planning routes. And all my correspondence, records, etc.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:08 AM   #3
JohnW

I have a friend that is cruising and has used his pocketmail unit for the last 3 years. I think he pays $80 a year for unlimited use and

they provide toll free numbers. He is in constant contact with all his friends and even uses the system with his cell phone when he is in contact with a tower. If I remember correctly the only problem is

a limit of 5000 bytes per message (about a page).