Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-21-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
Rear Admiral

We've just been down to vote in our Federal Elections - and as most pundits would say - it's really down to a choice between dumb and dumber, with each party offering nothing new except the same old platitudes and promises of a utopian paradise with a chicken in every oven. In fact, everyone here in oz seems to be of the same opinion - we are still be treated like idiots and that each party are really are only interested in winning at any cost and will say anything they believe will deliver them that end.

Stuffed the form in the ballot box and we drove down to the marina to continue our refit in preparation for a 5 week cruise to the Louisiaides. Man are we so already there! 20 days and counting and I have to tell you we are seriously contemplating not coming back.

Whilst applying the third coat of Sikens oil to the teak capping, we took a break to grab the lines of a massive cat having difficulties getting into their berth. Tied them up and then realised that we had met them almost 14 months earlier. Well not actually in person - more via our HF radio when we were tiptoeing into an anchorage after dark with no real idea where the channel was when a voice came over the radio saying, 'unidentified yacht, if I were you, I'd be doing a quick 180 and head straight back out to sea as you have missed the mark and are about to run aground'.

Not being too proud to take advice, we promptly reversed our course and after some anxious moments dropped our anchor under the protection of the headland.

So why the mention of a voice in the dark and a political free-for-all? It occurs to me that the yachting community is perhaps one of the few purest forums we have left for genuine good will. No hidden agenda, no manipulation, just the joy of a love shared and a simple, genuine desire to help those fellow voyagers we meet unexpectedly in the dead of night.

I did a quick google and discovered that none of our political leaders or their senior ministers sail - need I say more

Old 08-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mico' date='21 August 2010 - 09:24 AM View Post

I did a quick google and discovered that none of our political leaders or their senior ministers sail - need I say more
In general, not many politicians do sail as:

a - one needs to make the right decisions or it is your own life on the line

b - you get dirty at times

c - other sailors are not easily fooled by impressive speeches with no core substance

e - it makes life more difficult for the paperazzi who will need bigger and faster boats to catch the politicians and how many politicians want to be out-classed in anything?

f - sailors have to be honest with themselves and know their own limitation.

How many politicos do you know who would fit the above requirements?

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Lieutenant

Mico, it may be as well that non of your politicians are sailors. Edward (Ted) Heath a former British Prime Minister was a very keen competitive sailor, Ocean racer, Royal Yacht squadron etc: etc: He was also instrumental in starting the process of getting Great Britain into what was the 'Common Market' (European Economic Community )

He's dead now, and I, along with many thousands of other Britons hope he is in a very, very ,very hot place...Thanks Ted......
Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
Admiral

Two notable sailors in the US - Ted Turner and the late Senator Ted Kennedy. Peter and I may be former Bostonians, but we held no affection for Ted Kennedy.

Successful America's Cup defender Ted Turner, "The Mouth of the South" or "Captain Outrageous", is another issue, though. A pretty impressive man in many ways, though another man whose politics I'd ignore.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
Rear Admiral

Sailing 'Polies. Sailed in a 'Sydney to Hobart' against E.(Ted) Heath which he won in a S&S 34' the same as Ian McIntyre's yacht that young Jessica just sailed around the world in. I liked his politics too - sorry SAXON. Also sailed in another - 'S to H' the same year that 'American Eagle' - Ted Turner - won. Enjoyed his company & thought the guy was a great yachting personality & all round 'fine-guy'. Almost joined the crew but one couldn't build boats & go sailing at the same time. Darn that!! - sorry JeanneP - John (K) was a much better sailor than Ted (K) & the yacht(s) was/were communally family owned in any case. Sir G.

(Garfield) Barwick, Aust. Attorneys general (Anitra IV) was equal or better a real sailor that I had the experience to share great 'sea-time' with. The point was that - not many polies do/could/would make much of the yachting scene as - true, real, honest, down-to-earth, authentic people are the go 'in the yachting fraternity', I have noticed. They then might not feel so at ease? These 'forums' sure do prove that. Good sailing to everyone including 'even' polies!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 04:44 AM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverraven' date='22 August 2010 - 08:22 AM View Post

Sailing 'Polies. Sailed in a 'Sydney to Hobart' against E.(Ted) Heath which he won in a S&S 34' the same as Ian McIntyre's yacht that young Jessica just sailed around the world in. I liked his politics too - sorry SAXON. Also sailed in another - 'S to H' the same year that 'American Eagle' - Ted Turner - won. Enjoyed his company & thought the guy was a great yachting personality & all round 'fine-guy'. Almost joined the crew but one couldn't build boats & go sailing at the same time. Darn that!! - sorry JeanneP - John (K) was a much better sailor than Ted (K) & the yacht(s) was/were communally family owned in any case. Sir G.

(Garfield) Barwick, Aust. Attorneys general (Anitra IV) was equal or better a real sailor that I had the experience to share great 'sea-time' with. The point was that - not many polies do/could/would make much of the yachting scene as - true, real, honest, down-to-earth, authentic people are the go 'in the yachting fraternity', I have noticed. They then might not feel so at ease? These 'forums' sure do prove that. Good sailing to everyone including 'even' polies!!!
Well said! It takes all kinds, even polies!
Old 08-22-2010, 04:59 AM   #7
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA' date='22 August 2010 - 02:38 PM View Post

Well said! It takes all kinds, even polies!
And even 'older folk' including all of us - of course. Thanks Richard. By the way; How are y'all doing up there?? Where are some pics?? Were you able to help that chap with his - motor or radio problems, that you were sailing towards? What did you think of my GBE plans?? Was your silence a 'warning in disguise' or just to busy?