Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > The Poop Deck
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-11-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default New boat

While I still have Sandettie (38' sloop), we had recently chartered a trawler style boat in the Pacific Northwest of the US. Since then we have visited several Trawlerfests as we look for s small powerboat.

We needed something we could move easily on a trailer and use on a lake in Tennessee and on the intracoastal waterway in Florida. We travelled to Cape Fear last week to look at a boat, and ended up buying a lightly used (180hrs on the engine) 23' Ranger Tug, which we then towed 400 miles back to the lake.

The biggest problem looking for a new boat turned out to be brokers. We met two good guys, but to do that we suffered through a succession of brokers who failed to tell the whole truth, or told deliberate lies. When you travel for several hours to look at a boat and find it has been totally misrepresented, the temptation to belt someone is almost irresitible.

Anyway, Leon Messner in Southport North Carolina and Fokke DeJong in Fort Lauderdale were both outstanding and get my recommendation as honest, good guys who don't exhibit a skeric af BS, and are the sort of blokes I would always stop and have a beer and a feed with.

We have been cleaning and polishing the new craft; checking all the systems and buying new bits as required. We had a choice between outboard and inboard engine...we chose an inboard Yanmar diesel). We have grabbed a permanent undercover slip on Watauga Lake and expect to splash the boat midweek.

Of course, local boaters will wonder at the style of boat. It seems the lake hosts quite a lot of sailboats of all types, but aside from a few tennis shoe styled boats (Sea Ray, Bayliner etc) the majority of powerboats are either pontoons, or bass boats will four squillion HP outboards on them.

I try to convince myself that the move toward a powerboat is not a concession to older age, but I still sail and have no intention of selling Sandettie.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:43 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Boston

Sounds like you had quite the adventure finding and buying your new boat! Glad to hear you found some honest brokers in the mix and that you're enjoying your new 23' Ranger Tug. It's always fun to have a different type of boat to play with, whether it's a powerboat or a sailboat. Speaking of different types of boats, have you ever considered boat hire Ibiza? I've heard the Mediterranean is a beautiful place to explore by boat, and Ibiza is definitely a hotspot. Cheers to many happy adventures on your new boat and on Sandettie!

Old 01-13-2023, 01:46 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Boston

How is Sandettie now? Have you still not sold it?

Tags
boat