Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello! My name is Diane and I am enjoying exploring your website and forums. I plan on starting a multi-year RTW trip next summer, and hope to spend a good percent of that time crewing as I go. Any and all information, insights, and updates are appreciated. See y'all out there! Fair winds, ~D~

"in America, 200 years is a long time. In Europe, 200 miles is a long distance"

- Kim Davis (paraphrased)
DFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard and good luck with your plans.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:39 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Good luck! And welcome aboard

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Click image for larger version

Name:	MissyQ and James 19.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	1452

Quote:
Hello! My name is Diane and I am enjoying exploring your website and forums. I plan on starting a multi-year RTW trip next summer, and hope to spend a good percent of that time crewing as I go. Any and all information, insights, and updates are appreciated. See y'all out there! Fair winds, ~D~
Gooday Diane aka DFog. james aka Silverraven from 'down-under'. You've got a large task in front of you however a 'life-time' enjoyment, rewarding & fulfilling one. Take on all information in & discard what you don't like or what doesn't work. The 'total-learning-curve' is never 'simple' or ever finished. Read everything you can get your hands-on, good or not you'll always learn something & use most of that knowledge later-on. Get all the 'hands-on' sailing time you can possibly get, any way you can. One learns as much (or even more) for the hard experiences as the enjoyable times. The choice of all of us 'water-people' might be summed up as - "every reality - began with a dream". Enjoy the passage as well as the destination. Life is worth throwing everything you've got at living it to the fullest. Maximum fun is usually got by those who try the hardest & throw 100% of everything they've got into that pursuit. You're young enough to get the 'maximum enjoyment' out of your endeavours & be able to properly evaluate them all for their real worth. You've got lots of qualifications - so there are no boundaries - go for it with everything you've got & 'God speed' as they say. I've not sailed in SF since the early '60's - it was a blast then. I'm about to re-commission a 35' cat (fast, light & efficient) to go 'quick-cruising' & race as well. Summary might read like; hands-on sailing - every bit you can get; read, read & learn, learn; enjoy & smile a lot & laugh out loud a lot (it's compulsory soul-food). Sunny skies for you from a silver-haired sailor from down-under, Caio, james
Old 08-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

DFog (love to know what that stands for?) Gooday for 'down-under' - james. Thanks so much for the "friends" !! I accept ! - with 'great honour' & a tad bit of humility!! . You - Please tread carefully "out there" in the - real 'big world'. It's a great place but one needs to be wary of 'survival of the fittest', & it's possibly the 1st rule of making it to the end with your 'values' in one piece'. Whilst I admit to the 'fact' (not) that everybody thinks (but not to much) that they are in this world - 'for the best for other people' - - that is not always the case. BEWARE - make haste - slowly - as the world 'of people' is a very winding road indeed. Make 'friends' - very slowly or repent at your cost, has been a lesson I have had to learn, at some 50 years of 'great cost' but much of value & enjoyment. Not all 'sunny days are good' for some 'rainy' days can be' ' just SUPA with the right circumstances & company' - of course. Choose carefully & enjoy the journey. Try - with everything that you've got - learn, learn - mono, cats & tri's, read, practice ( with hands-on - both hands) & keep smilin' & laughing - - it's necessary & compulsory - food for your soul, life has shown me. I've enjoyed sailing/racing & the whole waterfront scene & all of it's people for at least a day or 2 & it's been the greatest ride of my whole life. Do keep safe & well - do all your home-work before you start. Ciao & my personal best for great adventures & lots-a fun, from down-under, jj PS Study, study - learn, learn, practice & enjoy. oh & 'enjoy practicing' also. If you're not 'getting' the maximum time & effort & cost - spent - - then get the heck out of there & try again. Out here in the 'world of yachting' is a whole life-time of the greatest adventures that anyone could possibly imagine. Oh, & I've only done 1/4 of the trip.

Thanks for the honour, ciao, jj