Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
Ensign

G'day All,

Yeppa - We've Got the Itch to sail and see the world, but one continent at a time starting with Australia (Our Home Turf). I'm still in the very early stages of reading / studying / absorbing sailing technical and navigation books to continue building a good grounding for my sailing and navigational skills and knowledge. We're aiming to get some crewing experience on larger 30-40 footers over the next few years, on part weekend stints and were possible longer chartered trips to ensure that the Wife and I are 110% committed and dedicated to our end goal of owning our owning 40 footer cruiser/voyager sailing vessel.

I'd love to say I got the sailing bug from the days of Navel Cadets when I was a younger lad, but I'd say it wasn't until a about year ago my wife and I thought Its time to get started, so booked ourselves onto the "Learn How To Sail" in a little sailing dingy. While on the course the basics of sailing all came flooding back and while out on the lake, all be it in a little dingy scooting along a snails pace, wife and I could picture ourselves sailing round Australia. And after that if we haven't killed each other we plan to embark on conquering the other continents 1 at a time to then eventually conquer the world

A big thanks and applause to all to have contributed and maintain such a fantastic forum. The forum has so far answered a stack of questions I needed answers and gave me answers to ones I've hadn't even considered yet .

Thats about all for now folks

AussieDrifter

While Reading "The International Marine Book of Sailing" by Robby Robinson, there are many quotes he made that made me laugh, but the one that stuck in my mind was: "The best bailer, is a scared sailer with a bucket!"
AussieDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

A hearty welcome aboard to you both - good to have you here with this friendly, helpful international crew. Hope you get that sailing "itch" scratched soon.

Make yourself at home - the Fosters are on "MMNETSEA" today.

See you's aaafter!

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

WELCOME,

I hate it when that itch is right in the middle of my back, and I can't reach it........
Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Welcome,

It sure sounds like you two are as hooked as the rest of us! Congratulations... I think?

Fair winds,

David

S/V Friendship
Old 11-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
Ensign

Thanks All for the warm welcome ,

My wife and I are extremely excited and look keenly forward to fulfilling our dream to sail round Oz with the aim to then sail the world. We both realise our current lack of experience and knowledge and are together researching / discussing and planning to remedy that over the next few years with the mix of theory and the right kind of sailing sailing experience and guidance in a variety of weathers and conditions,

While being honest with ourselves and attempting to set realistic goals, we anticipate that without rushing things, our sailing adventure and owing our own 40 footer is at least 5-7 years off. As I type that last sentence, I get a little down and part of me wants to call out "let go now Darls!" but realise that 5 years is not far off with what time we do have spar to study/learn and get out there and sail some varying types of yachts and talk with other sailers to hear a few yarns / stories / adventures and hopefully some good honest "lessons learnt" by other sailers, I'm sure the next thing we'll be asking ourselves is "where did the time go?!.

Well, again big thanks and we'll sitting on the side monitoring and absorbing all the info/advise/discussions that this forum and its contributors have to offer.

AussieDrifter

(Mark & Tanya)

While Reading "The International Marine Book of Sailing" by Robby Robinson, there are many quotes he made that made me laugh, but the one that stuck in my mind was: "The best bailer, is a scared sailer with a bucket!"
AussieDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

Hi Guys,

Welcome also. I'm sure you'll effect the plan and look forward to hearing more on the way. We've had several pals far less experienced than we were (then) up and exit Perth. None have looked back and ideed, one couple are still cruising around over a decade later!

You guys sail safe - and keep us all posted.

JOHN