Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiserlog's Yacht Club > The Tavern | Welcome Aboard
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi everyone. I'm brand new here. My husband is helping friends reposition a yacht from Isla Mujeres to Panama. They left yesterday. Before they left they called and said it was not the best weather but they had to try and beat the next front.

They promised to email me twice a day so I wouldn't worry. I haven't heard from them since they left. No sat phones on board but they do have satellite email.

Needless to say I'm worried. Boardering on frantic really.

Our friend, the captain is a very experienced sailor and I trust him completely to take care of my husband. But am wondering why they haven't sent me word.

I don't know how to read the marine reports online but I can certainly look at a satellite picture and see they are in crappy weather.

Any advice? Comforting words????? Is there someone I should call if I don't hear from them? And how long should I wait?

Old 06-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Welcome aboard ArizonaKelly.

I am sure there is nothing to worry about. Being able to send email from tha boat is totally dependant on the ship's radio and that can so easily be faulty or the propagation is bad (unable to make contact from their position).

Your husband is probably just as worried about not being able to make contact with you and the fact that you will be concerned. A little bad weather is not unusual for us cruisers.

Keep in touch & let us know when you get word. I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
Keep in touch & let us know when you get word. I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.
Thanks for the words of encouragement, and you were right when he checked in he was worried that I was worried. They are having intermittent problems with the radio so communication is going to be spotty. Great.

The next 10 - 14 days are going to be a challenge for me. I'm a natural worrier, so not hearing from him is going to be tough. I might have to stop in here from time to time for some more hand-holding if thats ok.

Last word they were 100 miles east of the bottom of Cozumel, heading ESE.

Thanks again.... Kel
Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 PM   #4
Retired Mod

We're happy for you that all is O.K.

Keep in touch.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
Admiral

Hello Kel,

So as to keep you in touch with the weather and the sea state for the passage from the Island of Women to Panama, here are the best sites to get actual up-to-date conditions from the

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration :-

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42056

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42057

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Foreca...NT23.KNHC.html

The present conditions favour good sailing winds with small seas for the next 5 days. As they get further south, rain is likely.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
Lieutenant

Just to reinforce what Lighthouse said, even with a fully functional radio, it can be difficult to communicate via shortwave radio because of atmospheric propagation conditions. I've gone a couple of days without being able connect to a shore station to send an email, so don't fret if you don't hear from them as frequently as you'd like to.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Ensign

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement and info guys! And Mmnetsea, I sure appreciate the NOAA links. It helps to know what kind of weather they are in. I don't understand it all, but I'm learning.

I havn't heard from them since early yesterday and I'm still trying to get a grasp on the "atmospheric propagation" thing. So heres my next question... When they do get a signal, does it prevent them from sending email if they are receiving emails from me?

I had no idea that weather or waves (if I'm understanding it correctly) would prevent them from being able to communicate.

Kel
Old 06-05-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
Retired Mod

Hi Kel

Very simply: In this case, emails are sent and received at sea by radio so it is very dependant on the radio reception at any given time/position. If radio reception is bad you cannot send/receive emails.

Hope that helps you to understand a little better.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Sometimes I could receive emails from the shore station, but couldn't send. The shore stations have more transmission range with their transceiver/antenna setups.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Kelly,

I just wanted to point out that statistically, you are in far more danger driving your car than your husband is cruising with a competent captain on a well found boat! He may well be as worried about you as you are for him. Reassure him when you next have communication.

David

S/V Friendship
Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 AM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernesstech View Post
He may well be as worried about you as you are for him. Reassure him when you next have communication.
Great advice Wilder, and probably true. Thanks, I will definately let him know I'm ok too.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #12
Ensign

I've got a few more questions and hoping someone can answer easily.

First - They are now at Lat 17-04.00N Long 082-58-.31W and headed to Providencia, Columbia. This mornings report said they think they may be there by sunday. If I'm looking at the NOAA reports correctly, isn't there a tropical wave in that area? I have no idea if thats a potential problem or not. They are in a 78ft sail boat. And then after Providencia I think they sail through the ITCZ?

Second - Any approximate idea how long it takes to sail from Providencia to Panama?

Thanks in advance

Kel
Old 06-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #13
Admiral

Seems like they've gone about 360 miles in two days. Big boat, they're making good time even if they are beating into wind and seas.

From the coordinates you've given, it's about 560 miles more to Panama, so Sunday sounds right for arrival in Panama. I'm not sure why they are going past Panama to Providencia, Colombia, about 700 miles from the boat's last position. But it could take them two fast days from Providencia to Panama, though stopping in the San Blas Islands and buying lots and lots of Molas would be my idea of a detour before arriving in Panama.

That Tropical Wave is so far east that it's not worth considering. Tropical waves bring rain and storms, but this one is supposedly not expected to develop into anything worse.

Weather forecast looks pretty good.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
Lieutenant

Here's a NOAA website that has buoy and ship weather observations in the vicinity of a Lat/Lon that you can enter. There's one report from about 60 nm away from your husband's last position, only about 40 minutes old--15-18 kts from the ENE. Great sailing weather!

Buoy & Ship Weather Observations