Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > Living Aboard > The Galley
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Couscous is a form of pasta that came to Europe via the Muslim invasions (this is current historical theory, there are some disputing this with good research behind them). It is heavily used in Sicily and France with many different dishes. One that we do is a fisherman's catch dish; another is with meat; and a third is without any meat at all. There is a few different views on the best way to prepare it and how and when to add the sauce or favoring to it or it to them.

Considering how easy it is to store and use i was wondering if folks have or are interested in recipes for it?

Michael

Old 04-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Admiral

I like couscous a lot, but I am very limited in my preparation, usually just using either beef or chicken stock, then mixing with veggies. Would like to see more interesting ways to prepare and serve it.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

Couscous can be used instead of rice for many dishes and is in Italy.

Michael
Old 04-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP' date='02 April 2010 - 11:43 AM View Post

I like couscous a lot, but I am very limited in my preparation, usually just using either beef or chicken stock, then mixing with veggies. Would like to see more interesting ways to prepare and serve it.
One of the better ways that I serve couscous is with the add-ins of re-constituted dried Shiitake mushrooms. Just add "to taste" and throw in a bit of garlic, olive oil and parsley flakes.

Other ways--add dried tomatoes (the kind that can be purchased in a jar of olive oil) chopped fine AFTER the couscous is cooked. This one requires that you sauté some onions in oil (of your choice) with a little bit of oregano and salt/pepper. Make the couscous, throw in the onion mix and the cold finely chopped dried tomatoes. Yummy. You can add finely chopped black olives to this one--the same as the tomatoes, don't cook the olives or the tomatoes.

We like couscous with peas, tuna, and chopped up water chestnuts.

We also like it with chopped (fresh) spinach and mushrooms. If you make this, chop up some garlic and lemon peel along with the spinach and mushrooms, throw it into a frypan ans give it a quick "sear" then add it to couscous that has been cooked with a bit of salt/pepper and made with chicken or veggie bullion.

Garlic, olive oil, and pine nuts together with a chicken bullion cube make for a good couscous.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Commander

one item we have tried is when grilling chicken we tend to grill extra for the next day. Taking the grilled chicken pulling it off the bone and adding it to assorted vegetables that have been seared in the pan add just a touch of water to make a bit of broth for the couscous to absorb and than add couscous and boiling water from from the tea kettle after it has absorbed all the broth and it is wonderful. The variations are many.

Michael

PS adding some capers with this dish and the right veggies makes a dish that our less then 2 yr old eats with intent (as in the feeding parent doesn't get much time to feed themselves unless creative and gets the child to help eat).