Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Free Sailing Crewfinders > Crew Positions Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Boulder
Default Mozambique Passage: Crewman

Hello sailors,

I am interested in crewing a boat in/around/through the Mozambique passage somewhere in May-August. I have little experience but I am clever, handy, and willing to learn.

I also want to know which directions make the most sense for sailing along Africa's east coast. It is common at all for cruisers/yachts to head south to, say, Durban from Zanzibar, or is it more likely to find a boat headed north? I expect to be in Dar/Zanzibar soon, so I wonder which wayI can expect to head.

Any help would be great! Cheers
pete

Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Admiral

The chances of finding any cruising boat near Zanzibar will be pretty slim, to zero. Somalia to the north of Tanzania is the infamous source of brutal pirates who have turned to capturing private yachts and holding boat and crew for ransom. Search on this board for "Pirates" or "piracy" or "somalia".

Cruising yachts are avoiding this part of Africa, some heading direct from Sri Lanka to South Africa with no stops along the way.

We are living in unfortunate times, it seems.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Boulder

Thanks Jeanne for your help. So I probably shouldn't expect to head north unless it's northeast to India? Fair enough.

Stinkin' pirates.

-pete
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 AM   #4
Admiral

Here are a few links that you might want to look through. They might help you in looking for a boat to crew on.

Wiki Yacht Crewing Information
Hitchhike the oceans as sailing crew
Mozambique Channel

And notice at the bottom of this thread that there are often links to similar topics on this board.

But keep in mind that the pirates' forays south into the Seychelles has impacted yachts' choices of routes even more.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dar es salaam, durban, zanzibar