Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruiser's Message Buoy > General Message Board
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-21-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Bodrum
Lightbulb Noise-free, fume-free generator

Hi folks, Im curious whether there is any interest in the generators working on Hydrogen Fuel Cell based technology. In general I have found that people hate generator noise & smell -especially if the boat is anchored.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:30 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

Sure there's interest, but nobody has a working product of this ilk. Come back when you've done the research.

SCAM.

(Note: This is not a HHO generator, which I believe could work. It purports to generate electricity from water and "metal fuel". As usual there is probably some valid research at some level, but then the morons try to sell it before a product actually exists. No website could be found with any details of a "Q-Gen" fuel cell.)

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I removed the link--if folks would like to have a discussion here about different kinds of generators--go for it, but lets keep the discussion here on the CL and not lead folks off to links with our very first posts on the site.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 01:48 PM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Toronto

Check out Toyotas multihulled laboratory. They are producing electricity with salt water flowing over cells. The generator seems the Tesla waterfall sort of not my scope. They produce 5,000 psi fuel grade hydrogen. Japan is adamant all brands are on it. I think Team Yamaha Yanmar Toyota are the break out leads. Yamaha has made a 450hp Hydrogen V8, Yanmar a 16 and an i3 130hp. They are all designed for 5000 psi storage like the 30’ Toyota Cruiser zipping around the olympics. Our free trade with Japan hopefully put us in the front row while the technology evolves.
So yes you can produce fuel in silence, at least in salt water underway. I think we will set it on Cats first due to speed they can maintain . Until then baby your generators.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:52 PM   #5
Ensign

The big Toy ota
Attached Thumbnails
A176A7BC-25EB-4108-829A-36537B908B79.jpeg  
Old 11-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #6
Ensign

A generator running on hydrogen should sound exactly like a gas powered generator. Typically louder than diesel. The little Honda will continue I’m sure. I don’t find other boaters noise offensive. Morning coffee topping up batteries, that’s life. One drunk was playing Phantom really loud like midnight. The reaction from other boats was high powered lights. The local wildlife think we are all nuts.