Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi there!

Hope all of you are well out there.

I´m finally looking to buy and sail a 50" ketch from San Diego to Spain. Tried to find one closer, no success... Planning to get to the Caribbean and leave for Europe in the spring before hurricane season.

Realistic timespan for the trip, 3-4 months?

Weatherwise, when would the best time be to leave California?

Is the Panama channel expensive for a 50" sailingboat? (57" incl bowsprit)

Anyone has any idea of price for delivery crew?

Thank you for any thoughts!

Best regards

Marcus

Old 10-12-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
I´m finally looking to buy and sail a 50" ketch from San Diego to Spain. Tried to find one closer, no success... Planning to get to the Caribbean and leave for Europe in the spring before hurricane season.

Thank you for any thoughts!

Marcus
Hi Marcus,

Just a thought - an alternative to Panama is to truck from San Diego to Houston - then sail to Spain.

Another thought - Check with YachtWorld.com they list plenty of yachts in the range that you are thinking of. Even have boats in Spain which could solve the problem of Spain's taxes on Yachts.

Richard

Old 10-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Ensign

Thanks Richard!

Looking on the truck option for the moment.

Would be easier to find a boat in Europe but I think prices are not as good, especially with the $ to Euro. The other thing is that I´ve fallen for one, she seems to be special, the one!

We´ll see....
Old 10-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #4
Admiral

I don't think that 3-4 months from San Diego to Spain is realistic. You're going to spend a month, perhaps more, to get through the Panama Canal. You cannot sail East from the canal. The way to go is to sail to Florida, watching and waiting out the weather. And December is dreadful. Trust me, you do not want to try to reach any part of the Eastern Caribbean from Panama - although doable it will beat up you and your crew mercilessly. Boats tend to be trashed pretty badly as well. If you had a year and hugged the S. American coast and took shelter waiting out the incredibly strong winds that blow there, you might want to consider it, but I don't think you do.

From Florida to Spain in winter is a bit rough. With the winds with you it would be scary, but against you, I wouldn't enjoy it at all.

Buy the boat in March and things would be a bit easier, though not much.

Good advice to truck the boat east. Better to go all the way to the Atlantic coast.

Fair winds,

Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

FALLEN FOR ONE????????????????

That's the problem with our emotions. Sometimes it is impossible to ignore them, and let common sense take over . I know....I fell head over heels myself. Not once, but twice, and letting the first one go took me four years even though I was at least several thousand miles away. A 2 week visit once a year was enough to keep the flame from dying. Her name is Frolic, and she changed my whole outlook on life.

I fell into severe poverty while I owned her. She nursed me back to health, and financial well being. By acident Imagine came into my life, and once again I fell. It is not easy to ignore these ladies once they lift their skirt, and slide over the waves in just they way you imagine it should be. I am sure it is plain to see how I got my screename

Tags
spain