Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-11-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Lieutenant

I am a little dumb on this, but what is the deal with folks wanting every little thing perfect for looks on a boat?

Example. The boat we got looked fine to me. They had removed all the aluminum and stailess steel. (We looked at her while she was being rebuilt).

I asked about this and was told they were going to replace them at a cost of about 18k for all the aluminum, stainless including the fly bridge.

I was shocked at the price and looked at the items. I asked them. If you use that same hardware and just reinstall it will I save 18k? They said yes, but They would have to have money down on the boat on the spot as no reputable sailer would allow their boat to be seen with such hardware????

I had two survey forks tell me the same thing.

I do not know everything about much, but I know aluminum pretty well. I can fix that 15k fly bridge for about 35 bucks not counting labor.

It dosn't look that bad. It is cloady. That is it. A little jewlers rough and a buffing wheel. She will shine fine.

Now, I respect a well maintained peice of equipment. Just the amount folks want for shinny. I mean a buffing wheel and some jewlers rough dose adang great job.

You can even cut the aluminum down with heavier grit then shine it to a mirror like finish.

My self I would just tel it stay as it is. It looks like aluminum pipe that hasn't been polished up. Why would that be a big deal?

Old 07-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

All boats 'rack', that is, they twist as they cross waves. This can cause wear and stress fractures, particularly around welds. The racking is exagerrated in those parts of the boat, furthest from the origin of the movement. ie: flying bridges.

I wonder if the metalwork was being replaced due to it having seen out its safe life. Cosmetics are no more important on your boat than they are on your truck, but they do show a pride in ownership. Most metalwork can be brightened with mild acid preparations rather than rouge and buffing wheels. It is this which makes me think the problem is structural rather than cosmetic. The tradesmen may have been ensuring themselves against warranty claims by doing a top class job.

Cheers.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Lieutenant

I asked them the reason and they said it was totally cosmetic. The welds all look real good. Its been a while since I had to tig weld, but they look good. No real way to tell of any metal stress cracks or anything, but I do not see that being a problem.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

It is impossible for me to advise from behind this computer screen; maybe you are getting a $18,000. wax & polish job. If so OUCH!

Although two surveyors agreed, does not mean they are not in cahoots with the dealer, getting a piece of the $18K. It is possible, but perhaps not likely; at least one would wish it weren't so.

Maybe strike up a conversation with other boat owners of the same class boat as yours, down at your local marina on the dock, or at the club or bar; and get their opinion. Advice and opionions are free, sometimes the cost to get them flowing costs; .....ah what does a beer cost there?

Harbor_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Lieutenant

The guy we used out of Maryland was more in agree with me. He said he would use it and just buff it out.

The other two survayors came recommended by both the broker and the boat yard.

They never mentioned the engine check or anything. The guy we liked from Maryland charged us a little extra to check the engines and such. He ran them for about a hour and did sokme pressure test and such, Even pulled a oil test to be sent off.

He recommended engine repaint, all new wireing harnesses, new plumbing and new belts. They replaced the turbo and adjusted the valves.

The boat yard did this as they even seemed to know it really needed it.

When you call a broker and he is on his sail boat with a survayor you have hired. Kinda makes you wander. Turns out all 4 of these folks. The Broker, 2 local survaoyrs, and the Boat yard guys were all very good friends.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
When you call a broker and he is on his sail boat with a survayor you have hired. Kinda makes you wander. Turns out all 4 of these folks. The Broker, 2 local survaoyrs, and the Boat yard guys were all very good friends.
Don't know about your case but a friend bought an older 30' Catalina and come to find out..........the owner ended up being friends with the broker who was friends with surveyor = bad combination on a bad deal.

He is selling the boat today...........at a loss.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

now that's what i call piracy

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:41 AM   #8
Lieutenant

I did get my own survayor. He was the 3rd one. I hired him. He was not from the area and thought I was kidding when I told him "I will pay all your cost". He did in my opinon a good job. He flew down there did the survay and gave a report that led to over 15k in repairs. We were to do sea trials this week, but. The seller and the broker decided that they would sweeten the deal. Both engines rebuilt (I am told this is worth 35k?). New injectors, cranks turned, heads re valved, block honed and reringed plus many other things) One is done the other should be done By Tuesday for re survay and sea trials next Friday. The Maryland guy will be paid AGAIN to come down and take a look. He includes a engine survay in this price as he did last time. The 15k in the last upgrade were most due to electronics and upgrading of the windless? I was told the tanks were all steam cleaned and pressure tested? Is that normal? A Lawyer has been hired before the bid was even put in. I am thinking of hiring a local for the closing. We were to close this week, but that will not happen due to what is being done. I guess that is normal. I have found this buying a boat is not like buying a house. It is much more technical. I did have the OPS-1 By pass filtration systems installed as I feel they are needed most in this application. I have used them for years on my trucks and plane. So for a boat it is a must have.no idea why the last post came out like it did? I had spaces and such????????????