Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

A couple things that I've noticed following various blogs as people circumnavigate is that everyone seems to look much more healthy and vibrant as they get further from home. I wonder if it is the lifestyle, lack of daily stress, less processed food, more fish & fresh vegetables?

I know that the couple of times I’ve lived on board my boat, I’ve lost weight and felt much more active. The boat was simply a place to sleep and I didn’t keep much food on board…plus I didn’t have a microwave that prepared junk food in seconds.

Anybody with long distance cruising experience notice a change in state of health?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:37 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

"Anybody with long distance cruising experience notice a change in state of health?"

Absolutely.

My wife and Aye both gain weight when we settle into houseboat mode with jobs, parties, restauraunts and other dirt dwelling activities... even though we are full time liveaboards.

I believe that when a person is underway on a boat sea - the mere task of remaining in an upright position is a workout in itself... and we reckon that we could make a very profitable business doing weight loss cruises across the Gulfstream from, say, Annapolis to Bermuda. Spend a week or two sailing in that slop, seasick, too queasy to eat anything and one is pretty much guaranteed to arrive in Georgetown fifteen pounds lighter.

Try doing the Sydney to Hobart and back every month and see how fit you'll become!

And - for the health of the vessel, I personally believe that the best way to maintain any boat is to live aboard it fulltime and sail her frequently.

I believe it was Admiral Nelson who said "Good ships and sailors rot in port."

To Life - at sea!

Kirk

Tags
living aboard