Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki

Join Cruiser Log Today

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #15
Admiral

[QUOTE=stealthmode;1306718587]

[b]39' McGruer, 1956 C/R ($19,500 Canadian) I loved this beautiful looking yacht on sight and already started the ball rolling on this one.

The McGruer 8m is wooden built as you will all know in here anyway.

The hull is splined mahogany plank on oak frames with copper fasteners. About every third frame is steel. The original owner had many custom features added such as teak decks plus interior touches for comfortable cruising. It seems no expense was spared and a recent survey in 2009 showed a beautiful sail boat in top condition and beyond.

To own this girl who would have originally been built here on the Clyde will make me happy.

]

================================================== ===================

It would be nice to have that boat if one owned a museum with lots of money to keep classic boats in Ship-Shape order - attached to that museum would be a well equipped engineering workshop. This boat is a very good boat for weekend regattas at the Royal Alfred Yacht Club - Dun Loghaire, Co Dublin.

But it is too small to be a live aboard cruising boat. The LWL of 26ft (13ft of 'over hangs') 7knots

It has an obsolete Danish engine (40 years old) the model AD 290 - no parts available.

From the photos looks good - but where are the pictures of the engine and transmission, the rudder, the keel - the main sail - what condition.

The standing rigging. And what is under that teak deck. What is hidden under the floor boards??

Old 05-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #16

That McGruer, lots of questions. 9.17-foot beam? That is narrow, especially for a wooden boat. I see neither ice box nor refrigerator in the galley. The Head looks a bit spartan - no sink, no shower hose at least? Though it could be a problem with the photo. water tankage is, even by my standards, barely adequate. And what kind of fuel tank is there? or not? When were these tanks replaced? What material?

Wooden boats are so high in maintenance, so much less accommodation for their length, that there's no surprise they can be had for a bargain. Pretty, yes. Liveaboard? I don't think particularly comfortably. Good luck.

Another story.

A bunch of cruisers stopped at the little Thai island of Ko Rok Nok for Christmas, each boat contributing something to the big feast. The day before Christmas we watched a young couple on their engineless wooden yacht, two miles or so from us, tack back and forth to make the anchorage in winds of the zephyr class. Christmas morning we all woke up to see that boat in about the same place as when we all retired the night before. Finally, several guys dinghied out to the boat and towed it into the cove. For the first time in a week they had a cold drink. They were in their 20s, adventurous, and this was all the boat they could afford. To their credit, they found a better way to cruise - they signed on as crew on a much larger yacht offering them a few creature comforts and an engine!

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
Old 05-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #17
Lieutenant

I hear what you are both saying, and probably others too who are reading this post.

One thing I do is listen well and debate.

MMNETSEA & JeannP, thanks for the input, and from what you both say this was enough for me to give her a wide birth. (No debate)

Thanks for the heads-up and actually when I go looking I’ll post on here.

The owner has been in touch and is sending me details and pics and a .pdf of the last survey through email but since reading your thoughts I pulled out of the running.

All I said was I’m sorry, I made a mistake and I don't reckon this is the kind of sail-boat for me as I'm a complete novice yet to sailing. But I wish you well on whom-ever buys her.

MMNETSEA, the one that got me was the actual LWL of 26ft, with the rest as over-hang. Thanks for pointing this out.

from the photos looks good - but where are the pictures of the engine and transmission, the rudder, the keel - the main sail - what condition.

The standing rigging. And what is under that teak deck. What is hidden under the floor boards??

I know what you are saying but this is something that comes to light on me being there, all the same questions I have already. I will be buying and only after inspection/survey which involves her coming out of the water.

These questions you point out are what I see as the normal course of enquiries.

The old engine you are right although it would not be such a problem for me.

That said the idea was short lived and I’ll move on to my next hopeful.

I have already got at my disposal what most pay dearly for, which is the entire use of dry-dock/marina/machine-shops and no doubt a few boat-builders etc, courtesy of my brother so a lot of the things I thought I was going to have to do on my own money wise are now not so bad.

I'll fill in some details of my life and trades, experience etc in my profile so you all get better idea of what I’m able to do, which is a big range including mechanical engineering and I have been involved for years in building houses, extensions, roofing, first and second fixings, entire bathrooms, kitchens etc.

I just took an easy route the last couple of years and became a part-time university lecturer but can turn back to any of my professions at the drop of a hat.

This will make it easier to understand that a lot of the work if needed done is not a problem. I just tried to be lazy in this sense as I’ve done it all my life and was hoping for a break. The actual maintenance of the boat I will not find a problem like so many others do.

I was hoping to jump on and sail but if it involves me bringing the boat back to 100% again then this is not too big a problem.

My only stipulation is it has to be able to do one crossing of the Atlantic safely where I can then Moore up and do the work at my brothers place.

All I have to do is get her to Fort-William on the west coast of Scotland. My brother will then get her through from there to Inverness. All he said is make sure it is able to cross the Atlantic safely. He will then help all the way.

I'm pretty sure once I have the yacht I won't mind spending a few weeks, maybe even a month or so re-building/repairing/replacing items. (Time is what I have got at last in my life).

I know from the beginning of my post till now, things are changing but this is all part of the journey.

I wanted to go straight away, now, if I have to do some repairs/replacement etc, I’ve actually allowed for this

MMNETSEA & JeanneP, Please keep adding stuff as you think of it for me.

Every single thought and piece of advice helps me no end.

If and when I fly over to the states i'll not just be looking at 1 boat, i'll have 2-3 to go round.

P.S JeanneP The ice-box and fridge are seriously no problem and not something to worry about. A few £'s sorts this out in seconds and fitting it in again no problem, for me anyway.

But I have actually really taken the knowledge of less space to heart enough to be detered.

As to water tanks and fuel tanks etc, again no problem at this stage.

Any one I do buy will probably be re-adjusted inside anyway as they are all set-out for 4-6 people in small berths. This side won't take we long to re-do to what I want.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #18
Lieutenant

Home Port: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Surprise

No matter what you choose, it seems like you have the attitude to "learn as you go" about the things you don't know. And that is great - keep that attitude. This McGruer is a fine looking boat.

I would humbly suggest that you really check out the radio and power supply and perhaps have some redundancy in that regard. Just in case.

How will you get it from British Columbia to the UK? Or are you planning to start your sailing life on the Western North American shores?

There is a spirit of dream pursuit that says "just go for it" and life will provide the knowledge (and a cynic might add: tuition to be paid later). If you have a decent set of criteria and the boat meets it, jump.

But I will also say that the voices on this blog are not trying to kill your dream, just offering their wisdom gained from making mistakes or watching the consequences of others who have done so.

Cheers
Old 05-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #19
Lieutenant

I have now realised for the price i'm wanting to pay I will have to maybe re-fit her partially inside and am now sold on the idea of this not being a problem.

The only thing I am not able to do is do the work where I buy the boat.

It has to be able to get me back across the Atlantic to the UK. This is my main thing to look out for, sails, rigging, mast etc. again the survey/inspection and me there will decide this.

What about this one?

36' CAL Cruising

http://www.gcyachts.com/listings.html?a=ys

I just thought all the research and finding of the yachts world-wide i'm making, this is the last one as a direct link as who-ever reads these posts can jump in front of me and end up with the bargain i'm after.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:00 PM   #20
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDinghy View Post

No matter what you choose, it seems like you have the attitude to "learn as you go" about the things you don't know. And that is great - keep that attitude. This McGruer is a fine looking boat.

I would humbly suggest that you really check out the radio and power supply and perhaps have some redundancy in that regard. Just in case.

How will you get it from British Columbia to the UK? Or are you planning to start your sailing life on the Western North American shores?

There is a spirit of dream pursuit that says "just go for it" and life will provide the knowledge (and a cynic might add: tuition to be paid later). If you have a decent set of criteria and the boat meets it, jump.

But I will also say that the voices on this blog are not trying to kill your dream, just offering their wisdom gained from making mistakes or watching the consequences of others who have done so.

Cheers
Thanks for the understanding of me on such short knowledge of who I am or what I'm about.

I wouldn't let others kill my dream but i'll certainly listen and take head to anything that is said.

Thier wisdom and years of experience are what I'm listening too and what is good and what is great.

Getting the yacht from where I buy it back to the UK till I get it ready to what I want is not a problem.

Plenty of sailors around who will sail her across the Atlantic with me and i'll pay their expenses and flight home.

Or they can stay with me at my brothers if need be till we fix anything serious and i'll sail back again to return them home.

Across the Atlantic twice should give me a good bit of experience to then try a bit of coastal cruising on my own before I head out to the open oceans.

I see plenty of people looking for this kind of adventure and ready to go at the drop of a hat so hopefully it should not pose a problem.

My brother said if I can wait till Xmas he will sail it back only if I bought it on the South-East coast of America, or anywhere in Europe or West Africa. He refuses to go near the bottom of Africa or anywhere near somalia and egypt etc because of the amount of deaths and pirates robbing and killing people mainly off the coat of Somalia.

I never stop learning, life is over when this happens in my book.

But on the wooden boats i'm seriously not bothered and am not used to living in multimillion $ accomodation or anything close to it.

I'm as happy in a garden shed as I am in a house. The basics of life in supporting myself are all that matter to me.

Enduring hard-ship has never been a problem and I doubt it ever will.

Too many humans want, want, want and are never content with what they have, a bad selfish human traight that I want to get away from for a while.

You have found a different boatyard advertising the very same boat I was looking at, I presume when one goes live for sale every boatyard in the world has some sort of link to it.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #21
Lieutenant

I wanted to sail west round the world but this can be altered to anything what-so-ever. Getting from BC back to the UK I see as a holiday and fun, not a task.

If I don't CE approve the boat I can still take her to the UK.

I think my brother said I get 18 months before I get fined or my boat siezed. again still doing the fineprint on all this.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #22
Lieutenant

I found another yacht I like the look of.

40' Newporter Ketch. (1964)

Reads well on inventory but I need a lot more actual pics before going any further. I've emailed the owner so i'll wait till they get back to me.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1964.../United-States

Certainly a lick of paint and some elbow grease.

The owner has taken her out on long distance solo before.

A major price reduction has just come, needed gone by the sound of it.

I know it's a ketch but this is not any hassle or problem.

I realise it's actaully what-ever takes my fancy with-in reason so I'll see what I end up with.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #23
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode View Post

I found another yacht I like the look of.

40' Newporter Ketch. (1964)

Reads well on inventory but I need a lot more actual pics before going any further. I've emailed the owner so i'll wait till they get back to me.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1964.../United-States

Certainly a lick of paint and some elbow grease.

The owner has taken her out on long distance solo before.

A major price reduction has just come, needed gone by the sound of it.

I know it's a ketch but this is not any hassle or problem.

I realise it's actaully what-ever takes my fancy with-in reason so I'll see what I end up with.
Hi,

The Newporters built between 1957 and 1965 have a potentially serious defect and that is the hull (remember the 4 major components that must pass muster)

Well the Newporters of that era have hulls made of plywood - skinned with fibreglass on the outside - fibre glass applied with Unsaturated polyesters.

The second component - ie the engine - I bet the reason that the sellors are not giving any information is because it has seen better days - 47 years old ! What model Ford ? Is it a marinised Ford Lehman? What Gearbox - Borg Warner Velvet Drive 71C ??

As for being a ketch - OK, however extra Mast, made of what? The mizzen boom takes the clew of the mizzen sail out of normal reach.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #24
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post

Hi,

The Newporters built between 1957 and 1965 have a potentially serious defect and that is the hull (remember the 4 major components that must pass muster)

Well the Newporters of that era have hulls made of plywood - skinned with fibreglass on the outside - fibre glass applied with Unsaturated polyesters.

The second component - ie the engine - I bet the reason that the sellors are not giving any information is because it has seen better days - 47 years old ! What model Ford ? Is it a marinised Ford Lehman? What Gearbox - Borg Warner Velvet Drive 71C ??

As for being a ketch - OK, however extra Mast, made of what? The mizzen boom takes the clew of the mizzen sail out of normal reach.
Thanks again MMNETSEA I'm learning fast i'll say that.

Enough points there for me to also see what you are saying.

A change or a better idea of what I need is almost there, certainly narrowing it down.

I've started looking at only GRP yachts.

I think some of the wooden sail-boats have character and look beautiful, but they are really in the $50-300,000 bracket for any true worth.

36'-38' in size for me.

Less and it's getting a bit small for the deep and as some have said can be a bit cramp in a smaller yacht.

I'll also leave the Ketch's just now.

Mainsail and jib will do.

36ft 1981 Ericson 36

These look nice in there own way and I've somehow come to like the look and shape. Some are grubby and some are well cared for.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:34 PM   #25
Lieutenant

Skip the last bit in the previous post about the Ericson's.

Too low for what I need

But this sort of boat may be nice for me.

36' Canadian Sailcraft CS-36
  • Year: 1986
  • Current Price: US$ 22,000
Old 05-31-2011, 11:14 PM   #26
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthmode View Post

Skip the last bit in the previous post about the Ericson's.

Too low for what I need

But this sort of boat may be nice for me.

36' Canadian Sailcraft CS-36
  • Year: 1986
  • Current Price: US$ 22,000
That price is low for a CS 36. From the photos it looks like a charter boat (however photos seldom tell the whole story) not a sign of an owner on board eg not a book in the bookshelves. Again from the photos very clean - Standing Rigging will require special attention in a survey. For the price worth getting someone on the spot to have a look at Ruby.

Havea look at this review CS 36 Review
Old 06-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #27
Lieutenant

Home Port: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Surprise

Stealthmode - I have to say that looking at all of the boats along with you is almost as fun as looking for myself. And getting great feedback from JeanneP and MMNETSEA is hugely valuable to all who read it. The process, like all journeys, is quite entertaining.

This may help a bit. In his book, Twenty Affordable Boats to Sailboats to take you anywhere (Vigor was small boats and wrote the intro to this one) Greg Nestor lists 20 decent boats, pros and cons of each. The criteria were: fiberglass; $20-70K (US in 2007); lots of availability - good production runs; 30-38 feet (comfort and handling); above average safety; seaworthy and a few other factors. The info is good. From that list there were about 6 that stood out for me after reviewing them with some sailing friends. I will list the six here and hope that it provides some good discussion.

Allberg 35

Allied Princess 38

Bristol 35.5

Luders 33

Pearson 35 (I found several of these in my area and saw 4-5, all ready to sail and some were less than $20K)

Runners up on the list included:

Cape Dory 33

Valiant 32

Look at them on sailboatdata.com - note that some will have MKII or different designations - important to pay attention to the designations since the changes can make a big difference ( not on this list but I looked at a Block Island 40 - the original design by Bill Tripp was sold to a company that modified the keel design in a way that did not suit what I required - big disappointment thinking I had a really good find only to dismiss the boat. The photos did not clearly show what I needed to see but the price was so attractive, I had to make the trip)

Have a look for some of these and remember the listing prices are only the asking prices. If you find one that has been sitting for a while, I bet you will find a LOT of flexibility. Expand your price range by a few dollars and negotiate down.

I would be surprised if you did not find one from this list that could service your goals.

All the best
Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 AM   #28
Lieutenant

I am also enjoying it. Constantly reading and researching all the available types and which can do what.

I seriously am not waiting a couple of years to be able to get something in the $50,000.

This can be sorted out way down the line.

I've allowed up to the £12,000 bracket. ($20,000)

By looking at the range in the £15,000 bracket ($25,000) I stand to get a better selection to which I will definitely be having a world over how much they were dreaming of getting.

CaptDingy, I wonder how many others are doing the exact same around the world?

I'll try to keep it relevant but the learning curve is a big more than I think I appreciated at first.

Like the choice of boats and a few pearsons are around that i've looked at. I've made a couple of definite decisions.

MMNETSEA, I've asked for more on RUBY, I'll see what comes back. Not a lot of navigation equip but hey, what do I expect for the money. Would need autohelm of sone kind plus a couple of other things i'm sure. If that main sail turns out to be bright screaming red I'd be gutted.

I would like to find 3-4 to go and see so i'll keep looking till I have a few to check out. I may miss one here and there but this will be okay. I'm now getting a bit closer to what I need instead of yes, but, I'm seeing Yes, and

I've still got a lot of reading and finding to go.

I'm reading just now and since 2.00am this end i'm off to to sleep.